Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New job-getting paid more than I should

Options
  • 25-08-2012 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey,

So started a new job. When i was first offered the job I was offered a salary of 27,000. I was delighted with that..however a couple of days later they rang me saying they had made a mistake and I would actually be getting less (24,000). That was ok, just happy to have a job!!

I got my first pay check there last week and noticed that when I calculate up my total annual pay it equals 27,000!!??

I think I know what the answer is going to be! But what should I do? tell them straight out? Do I enquire again about how much I should be getting paid? Do I just say nothing for a month or 2..claim ignorance?? I had to do a small bit of calculations to actually work out that I am being overpaid- so would be plausible...

I reckon that if I am being paid more than i should im going to have to pay it back...there is still a part of me that isnt sure though..

Strange situation...its a fairly big pay rise to make a mistake and they obv made the mistake before so they really shouldnt have made it again!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

I'd be inclined to make them aware of their mistake.

You obviously signed a contract. What does your contract say? €27k or €24k. If the latter, you really have no choice but to give it back.

If your contract states €27k I'd nearly adopt a wait-and-see approach.. though I'd consider how much I want to keep the job and the likelihood of getting found out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

If it is a mistake and you do end up having to pay it back, the sooner the overpayment is stopped the better.

Also make sure that when it is paid back that it is treated properly tax wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Make them aware, it will look very bad if you dont.

However my guess is that it is not a mistake, and the revised salary will take effect from when they told you, not from the start of the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Mansized Wreath

Tell em, it'll be noticed at some point anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭recyclebin

If they offered you 27,000 and you took the job based on this offer then you should have challenged them on why they are dropping your salary to 24,000. This seems like a huge mistake on their behalf. I know it is good to have a job but employers can't just take advantage of this. If they offered you 27000 then that is what they should be giving you.

I would ask for a meeting with your manager to clear this up as soon as possible. If you have already signed a work contract then you are in a good position to bargain with them. Inform them that you took the job based on an expected salary and see what they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'd advise to have a look to see what figure is on the contract you signed and take it from there...

Advertisement