Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Xbox doesn't recognize new game disks.

Options
  • 25-08-2012 2:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Recently my Xbox has been giving me trouble reading disks. It will sometimes refuse to read my Arkham City disk and has stopped working on the second disc of Mass effect 3. I just got Darksiders 2 and it worked the first time I put it it, but after about 10 minutes of it trying to connect to THQ's servers I restarted the console for fear of it being frozen. But now whenever I put it in the xbox reads it for a few seconds then just gives up and declares it unreadable. I put in my red dead redemption disk just to check that it wasn't completely shafted, but it read it fine. The xbox is still in warranty but I bought it pre-owned from Game. And they've gone down the tubes since. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Sounds like the laser in your dvd drive is failing or needs a bit of a tweak.Is the warranty from game or microsoft?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Skottelgoed

Sadly because I bought it pre-owned the warranty would be with Game. How much would it cost to get the disc reader repaired/replaced?

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

what part of the country are you in ?

Most places charge between €35-50

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Sadly because I bought it pre-owned the warranty would be with Game. How much would it cost to get the disc reader repaired/replaced?
    The manufacturer warranty transfers to the next owner in Ireland.

Thanks PhlegmyMoses, but I have the Game pre-owned warranty. I am not sure if it's out of the manufacturer's warranty.

I am in Monaghan and €35-50 sounds like a decent price to me! I think the closest place to me that would do it is probably Dundalk though.

• Advertisement

Do you know when the xbox was originally purchased?you could have a go at fixing it yourself if its out of warranty.

I have no idea when it was first bought and I have been looking up on maybe just cleaning the disc reader but a friend of mine disassembled his and completely broke it so since then I have been pretty dubious of doing that. Is it hard to do?

its fairly straight forward I've done it myself numerous times.
    http://suhastech.com/pot-tweak-for-xbox-360-lite-on-drive/

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

I wouldn't bother with a pot tweak,
    Its like flogging a dead horse,

Your going through the effort of opening the console you may as well do it properly and replace the laser

I don't have half the tools required for it anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I wouldn't bother with a pot tweak,
    Its like flogging a dead horse,

Your going through the effort of opening the console you may as well do it properly and replace the laser

+1 your only buying time, & usually not much

yeah it'll keep you going for a while but you'll eventually need to replace it.Didn't bother replacing my own as I no longer have a need for the disc drive ;)

Advertisement