Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help regarding dog paralysis

• 25-08-2012 2:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

hi i have an 8 year old terrier mix who after a walk last weak showed symptoms of being lame so i brought him to vet and basically after xrays they suspected spondilosis and he was given tablets , he was severly sick after i think the anti inflam as he has pancriatis so tht was that ruled out, any way some how or another he fell on wednesday and now his hind legs are paralysed , i had him at vets all day and they have recommended getting him pts, he is in pain as im typing this he is crying,. I have little or no faith in the vets that treated him as each vet gave me different advise ect ( 2 vets working opp shifts so had my dog seen by both at seperate times) . is there any hope or should i just get him pts he is only 8 and like another child in our house. . i know time is of the essence here and because of his pancriatis he cant tolerate some drugs.
    i will do all i can for this guy but listening to him here im really thinking should i ring an out of hours vet to come put him out of his misery :( any advise or similar experience would be so much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Ucd vets would be where i'd go it's expensive but worth it. Talk to your vet and get him to ring them and get him in as an emergency case.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

If your dog has severe pancreatitis (which is what I presume you're trying to say he has) then he should be hospitalised for intensive treatment of IV fluids, injectable pain relief and antibiotics - this is a very painful condition - and may/may not be separate to the hindlimb paralysis.
    If you are unhappy with the care you are receiving ask for referral to another clinic - you are entitled to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I'm so sorry to hear about your pet.

I would agree; take him to another vet asap for a second opinion ; you could ask your vet to forward his medical history for this so you dont incurr the costs if the same tests & xrays again; many vets have to have all charts/results on a PC for the vet insurance companies ( I've discovered) ao it's just attaching files & sending an email for them.
    You could approach it thus; .. Thus is a huge decision & a very emotional one , so I've decided to go to X vets /hospital for a second opinion. Please can you arrange for my files to be emailed to ( give details) by X time .

Where are you based? Pat keeling in Raheny Vet Hospital ( only Pat Keeling thou) is brilliant I MO. I also hear great things about that vets in Baldoyle; both in north county Dublin .

There was a thread a while back in this forum on that medical subject ; did you search here too? I recall a lot of advise being given here.

Good luck :( it's a terrible situation to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭mouseybrown

thanks for all the replys

he is making a remarkable recovery , i brought him to a bonesetter in carlow dan o neill he said he had 3 slipped discs and put them back in , then went to a different vet and he has been giving him shots and pain relief.

This dog has went from being paralysed on friday to walking around wobbly and even wagging his tail once or twicw! its a slow recovery but we have come so far in the last few days

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Blondes have more fun

So glad to hear it :-)

• Advertisement

Hi
    A quick update for anyone interested!
    Almost 2 years on and our dog is perfectly normal again.. So if anyone is ever told your dog is paralysed and there is no other option than getting it put down please get a second opinion!! I'm so glad I did :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Hi
    A quick update for anyone interested!
    Almost 2 years on and our dog is perfectly normal again.. So if anyone is ever told your dog is paralysed and there is no other option than getting it put down please get a second opinion!! I'm so glad I did :)

wow! That is brilliant! Lucky you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

I am so glad your dog made it through OP, my labrador had something similar but showed no symptoms until he became lame on his front leg one evening (we thought it was a broken paw) then became paralised on his right side and unfortunately it turned out to be an inoperable tumour in his spine and was in so much pain and had lost the use of his bowel that we had to let him go, he was only 6 years old. I keep torturing myself thinking was there more that could have been done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

SingItOut wrote: »
    I am so glad your dog made it through OP, my labrador had something similar but showed no symptoms until he became lame on his front leg one evening (we thought it was a broken paw) then became paralised on his right side and unfortunately it turned out to be an inoperable tumour in his spine and was in so much pain and had lost the use of his bowel that we had to let him go, he was only 6 years old. I keep torturing myself thinking was there more that could have been done

please try to stop lacerating yourself. you did the very best you could at that time and that is what matters. be easy on you.

SingItOut wrote: »

I'm so sorry for your loss.. by the sounds of it you done your very best and helped your dog the best way you could by ending their suffering and pain. Don't beat yourself up you done your very best. Take time to grieve your dog but please let go of your guilt x

• Advertisement
Advertisement