Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple vs. Samsung - The Verdict(s) are rolling in

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Just reading at the extent of the judgement Samsung will have to withdraw some of its products from the US. That will seriously hurt them. Their share price is already suffering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

A lot of the Jury stuff coming out is really weird. Talking about the foreman (who seems to be a patent troll) carrying a lot of influence in the jury because he knows the patent game and other jurors went along with him. Plus awarding money for things that didnt infringe. Awarding infringement claims over things that arent on the phones. And a lot of patent lawers have said to even read & understand the jury instructions would have taken as long as their entire deliberation.

Sometimes in some cases juries are not the right people to judge.

If I was caught for that case I would have been bewildered to say the least.

Overheal wrote: »
    I'm too young to remember if they had these wars back in the 90s over the now standard concept of a laptop, with a trackpad and wrist rest area, etc. - but I'm sure as hell that they did. There's so much sameness in laptops now that it's a standard. Tablets will eventually get there, but not before some more wild-eyed experimenting.

Pretty sure Apple recently got a patent on laptops with a wedge-shaped side-profile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,193 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yes there was a youtube video in this thread that made a reference to that patent. Amusing and toothless if you ask me.
    Just reading at the extent of the judgement Samsung will have to withdraw some of its products from the US. That will seriously hurt them. Their share price is already suffering.
    Only if Apple secures the injunction which won't even enter proceedings until next month.

Amusing and toothless if you ask me.

I would have thought a patent on the bounce-back at the end of a menu would have been amusing a toothless since I came across the same thing at least 10 years ago on different flash-designed websites but that shows what I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

The one thing I find bizarre in all of this is the fanboi-ism (if thats a real word). Are so many people in Ireland indeed the world these days so insecure in themselves and their own thought process that they feel the need to constantly justify it by sniping at the competition and saying how crap a competing product is? Whats the point? Why do you feel the need to push that agenda, what is in it for you other than to make you feel better. I've seen iphone owners blast galaxy owners and vice versa. The usual under spec, over priced, software is crap etc... so, use what you want and just be happy with that.

The funniest argument I got thrown at me from a mate (i have an iphone by the way) was that I was a sheep with no individual thought for buying an iphone. He had a Galaxy S2. My response: "so you didn't by the worlds most popular smartphone and instead bought the worlds 2nd most popular smartphone. How independent of you."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm too young to remember if they had these wars back in the 90s over the now standard concept of a laptop, with a trackpad and wrist rest area, etc. - but I'm sure as hell that they did.
    Not really. Not to this extent. Back then it was back and forth sniping over GUI's and who stole what from whom. IMH at the time Apple had a much stronger case than with the phones guff today.
    There's so much sameness in laptops now that it's a standard.
    Again Apple would have had a stronger case back then on that score. That now standard concept of a laptop with the tracking device in the middle of the palm rest was Apple all the way. They were the first to have a trackpad too. Indeed the very name trackpad was what they called what up to then had been called a touchpad*. First to have ethernet, intelligent battery, external monitor support, modem built in, 16 bit sound and stereo speakers, expansion bays and a host of others thangs in a laptop. Here's their offering with these features from 1994 Powerbook 500. That's a near 20 year old laptop, older than some posters here, a genuine triumph of design and a leap forward and the template for all laptops today. Of course all this happened when Steve Jobs was gone from the company, so no daft frivilous lawsuits on the back of it.

*EDIT on the trackpad front, forget the OS, the manufacturer and all the fanboi rest, I've yet to use a PC/windows laptop trackpad that comes within an asses roar to the usability and accuracy of apple offerings and multitouch is leagues and I do mean leagues ahead. If you've tried both you'll know what I mean. It seems to be both a hardware and software issue. If I run Win 7 on a Macbook pro it's still better than the average PC trackpad, but installing the apple drivers for windows really makes a diff.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Both are equally good brand of technologies but depends on the brand of products some are good some are only ok. I like Mac's and the smaller products but in terms of the ipad and the iphones I wouldn't be mad on them. The samsung wins hands down for a laptop, touchpad and phone to be honest though there was a time samsung wouldn't been great as a phone or was that a different brand I am thinking of?

I cannot understand why Apple want to ban Samsung touchpad and the likes in the US? Is it even possible that they can do that by law, what about equality and fair competition? Its like the ESB and Eircom one brand in a market isn't enough to keep a profit its good to have a bit of competition no and give customers choices??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

iregk wrote: »

The funniest argument I got thrown at me from a mate (i have an iphone by the way) was that I was a sheep with no individual thought for buying an iphone. He had a Galaxy S2. My response: "so you didn't by the worlds most popular smartphone and instead bought the worlds 2nd most popular smartphone. How independent of you."

While I think what you say is essentially true, I'm not sure any smartphone brand attracts the same level of proselytizing zeal and brand snobbery as Apple products.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

anncoates wrote: »
    While I think what you say is essentially true, I'm not sure any smartphone brand attracts the same level of proselytizing zeal and brand snobbery as Apple products.

How do you know when someone has an iPhone,
    they tell you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    How do you know when someone has an iPhone,
    they tell you

As a comedian said at the edinburgh comedy festival: "how do you know someone has a samsun galaxy? they show you"

As a comedian said at the edinburgh comedy festival: "how do you know someone has a samsun galaxy? they show you"
    Check out the face login though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Reading this case I can't help but wonder - and I know this sounds elitist- why the heck a jury would even be involved in this. It seems a bit like asking an ordinary jury to peer review a scientific or philosophical paper on an esoteric topic say, for example Husserl's phenomenological method. The whole thing strikes me as bizarre. :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

http://www.thejournal.ie/apple-samsung-579552-Aug2012/
    Japan court rejects Apple patent claims against Samsung

A JAPANESE COURT today rejected Apple’s claim that Samsung stole its technology, dealing a blow to the iPhone maker which last week won more than 0.8€ billion in damages in the US from its bitter rival.
    The Japanese court found that the South Korean firm did not infringe Apple’s iPhone and iPad patents for some of its own Galaxy smartphones and tablet computer. The three-judge panel also awarded legal costs to Samsung.

Jernal wrote: »
    Reading this case I can't help but wonder - and I know this sounds elitist- why the heck a jury would even be involved in this. It seems a bit like asking an ordinary jury to peer review a scientific or philosophical paper on an esoteric topic say, for example Husserl's phenomenological method. The whole thing strikes me as bizarre. :confused:

The Japan case above was decided by a three judge panel - whereas the case in America (which i myself consider might have been biased in some ways) was by a jury of ordinary people.

Let the debate being as to which is better!

As one commentator (not me) put it:
    So the UK and Japan have already rejected apples claims, the only court that ruled in their favour is a couple of miles from their HQ, never should have been allowed be heard in that court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

The one thing I find bizarre in all of this is the fanboi-ism (if thats a real word). Are so many people in Ireland indeed the world these days so insecure in themselves and their own thought process that they feel the need to constantly justify it by sniping at the competition and saying how crap a competing product is? Whats the point? Why do you feel the need to push that agenda, what is in it for you other than to make you feel better. I've seen iphone owners blast galaxy owners and vice versa. The usual under spec, over priced, software is crap etc... so, use what you want and just be happy with that.

Agreed, it's such a stupid argument. Anybody who know anything knows HTCs are the best anyway.

• Advertisement

Check out the face login though....

Ha a friend showed me that. It's mental. We were wondering if you could change the error message when it doesn't recognize your face to, "give me back my phone, you c*nt".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Ha a friend showed me that. It's mental. We were wondering if you could change the error message when it doesn't recognize your face to, "give me back my phone, you c*nt".

Theres an app that takes a photo and uploads it to a site with GPS coordinates when someone tries unlock it wrong so you can see who stole your phone.

You can then send a message to the phone saying "give me back my phone, you c*nt" or just block it. Great app but cant think of the name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Cerberus is one security app that can do that, there are others.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Angeles

This could also just be the best marketing campaign ever.. wonder how much money they will both make from each coin side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Had to laugh when I read the story of samsung delivering the 1 billion in 5 cent coins. Seems some people even believed it!

• Advertisement

Like I said in the Original Post, it seemed quirky that the lawsuit only covered Samsung products that were either a generation old or obsolete.

Apple seems to have noted this as well. The newest filings include updates to the lawsuit that would see more Samsung products including those released from August 2011 - Present as being infringing products. This includes things like the Galaxy Note and the S-III; it also includes the Galaxy Players (which are conceptual copycats of the iPod touch, just with a screen that has about 2x the surface area), as well as the newer Galaxy tablets including the Galaxy Note 10.1 that just launched in August.

I don't think they honestly have a prayer on some devices like the note 10.1, the Wacom functionality and the tablet's overall profile are far too different to confuse it with an iPad in any way. Also, the Note 10.1 is the first consumer-level (let's exclude "Business" tablets) running either iOS or Android that actually allows you to run windowed or side-by-side apps, which puts it way ahead of the game for productivity. I wish them the best of luck getting an injunction on that (doubtful).

The full list:
    Galaxy S III, Galaxy S III – Verizon, Galaxy Note [The Phone], Galaxy S II Skyrocket, Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch, Galaxy S II, Galaxy S II - T-Mobile, Galaxy S II - AT&T, Galaxy Nexus, Illusion, Captivate Glide, Exhibit II 4G, Stratosphere, Transform Ultra, Admire, Conquer 4G, and Dart smartphones, the Galaxy Player 4.0 and Galaxy Player 5.0 media players, and the Galaxy Note 10.1, Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus and Galaxy Tab 8.9 tablets.
    Obviously however Apple's point is to make sure that Samsung is not [at least in theory] still putting out infringing products and in the process gaining unfair market share. I am dying to know though what they have against the Note or the S-III though, these are highly distinguishable from the iPhone in almost every conceivable way. If their anger is at the software, then they need to go to the source of that problem and file a lawsuit with Google, the company that distributes the quite open source Android operating system.

There's no particular reason for Apple to "fear" Google either, financially Apple is actually a bigger entity than Google, unlike Samsung. The big thing going against them though is the public. Google doesn't have a 'perfect' public image (data mining, etc) but if you took a popularity contest between the two, a lot more people owe allegiance to Google. Plus, who hasn't used Google? Picking a jury would again, be controversial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Once Google's notifications patent gets through, they'll push for a truce with Apple. Apple know they'll get ridden to high hell if that ever shows up in a court case. Plus I like to think of the widespread panic among those who think they know a lot about technology but actually don't when support for Google products is withdrawn from Apple products.

Surely Apple are aware that unless Samsung actually put an Apple logo on the back of their phones/tablets, they aren't going to impinge on Apple's market share.

PLUS: Great advertising for Samsung. "Apple says our product is so similar to the iPhone that YOU can't distinguish between them, so why pay twice the price for half the hardware?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I though this was interesting.. Just read it now.

Samsung plays offense, will sue Apple if they release an LTE iPhone
    Just when we thought it was almost over, we realize the party has only just started. New reports today are clearly stating that while Samsung might have lost the battle, in the end they’ll win the war. According to the Korean Times Samsung holds just over 10% of all 4G LTE (long term evolution) patents and is prepared to play some offense of their own in the courtroom.

What we are now hearing is that Samsung is basically saying “We dare you” to release a 4G LTE iPhone — which is rumored to be a part of the next iPhone launch — and once they do Samsung will sue the pants off of them and go into full revenge/attack mode. The iPad currently has LTE, yes, but Samsung has been waiting for a much bigger fish and that is Apple’s bread and butter – the iPhone.
    Sadly just this afternoon a story came out regarding Apple and Google themselves having private discussions to end these drawn out and angry patent lawsuits — but it appears that Samsung wants nothing to do with that. Obviously these reports can’t be confirmed at this time but we are hearing some reliable information is at hand regarding this.
    This is actually a very interesting development in this entire story. If Apple does launch an LTE iPhone (which is pretty likely) they’ll quickly be rounding up the troops once more and headed to court. Samsung will no doubt seek an immediate product injunction and ban from the US, and probably multiple other countries as their patents are very wide. Now obviously Apple needs to release an iPhone 5 with 4G LTE as that is something consumers are basically demanding these days. If they do they will get sued, and if they don’t then people will jump for the Android LTE options available.
    The new iPhone should be announced sometime in mid September so we’ll all know soon enough. Will this ever end?

Wow.

Went and researched what patents Samsung has on LTE, and the answer is over a thousand (PDF - Snapshot Report on LTE Technology Patents). Not an insignificant figure.

Apparently though Google and Apple are talking regularly at the CEO level to traverse the minefield at play here and try and bring the whole bloody mess to a conclusion. Samsung meanwhile also seems poised to diversify it's technology portfolio into more devices that run on Windows or even it's own OS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Just did a lot of reading there myself. Samsung seem to have the whole thing pretty much tied up. It's as if (I'm a bit tired) (All equally ridiculous)

1. Apple didn't look very far into the future when they started suing.. :pac::pac::pac:

2. Apple thought they could sue, then make friends with Samsung, hoping Samsung would go with that.. :pac::pac::pac:

3. Apple Sued anyway, and took a gamble that Samsung won't. :pac::pac::pac:

I hope it all comes to an end, as it is ridiculous now. At the moment, it looks like (To my mother and other people in the world like her) Samsung copied everything from Apple.

After reading all of the follow up links and then some more links, Samsung could blow Apple out of the water even without the 4G LTE..

If i was Samsung, i would. But it probably wouldn't be very good business (let alone the fact it would be taking up too much of their time, money and freedom). I think Apple have done themselves a lot more damage then they think, with these cases.

***Stupid*** Cleared my history after i closed all the tabs. I saw a phone for sale $100, i planned to go back and look at.. (If anyone else see's it, will they post a link? :D
    Think it was called Kacoyera or something. I'm too tired now.

EDIT:
    After reading the PDF Overheal posted. I wonder are Apple hoping that €1b (Or any money they can get) Will buy them one or two of the other 4G Patent holders..

Jesus, if that's true it looks Apple could seriously have shot themselves in the foot.

Even if Samsung did copy Apple, Samsung are probably slightly better phones than Apple's phones in terms of services, apps, os, internet security, quality, features, reliability, cost, value for money and regarding laptops/pc's/netbooks/touchpads there is not a difference between the brands in my opinion they are equally good. Though only thing that is well done by Apple other than the PC/Laptop/Touchpad is probably the smaller items like ipods, nano, shuffle and so on.

doovdela wrote: »
    Even if Samsung did copy Apple, Samsung are probably slightly better phones than Apple's phones in terms of services, apps, os, internet security, quality, features, reliability, cost, value for money and regarding laptops/pc's/netbooks/touchpads there is not a difference between the brands in my opinion they are equally good. Though only thing that is well done by Apple other than the PC/Laptop/Touchpad is probably the smaller items like ipods, nano, shuffle and so on.

A further mad part in all this, is that Apple phones are made up of some Samsung supplied parts!

Really I didn't know that! Good to know!

doovdela wrote: »
    Really I didn't know that! Good to know!

http://www.androidauthority.com/apple-samsung-make-money-together-110672/
    As we know, Apple and Samsung have been business partners for a long time. According to a Reuters article,

“As well as being the only supplier of micro processors for the iPhone and iPad, Samsung also supplies DRAM and NAND-type memory chips and flat screens used in the popular Apple gadgets. Samsung products comprise 26 percent of the component cost of the iPhone, Samsung’s lead counsel Charles Verhoeven was quoted as saying in the media.”
    Samsung recently invested 3.17€ billion in its Texas plant. That’s the one that produces the Cortex A5 and A5x chips that you find in iPhones and iPads.

• Advertisement

Its like the Dell/Mac thing Windows stole the idea from Mac I think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Samsung have hit back at Apple just as the new iPhone comes out, I can't help but think it is giving the iPhone some attention even if they are abstractly pointing out it's short comings. Watch their new US ad for the Galaxy S3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Thats not giving the iPhone attention its making shít of the attention its getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Jernal wrote: »
    Jesus, if that's true it looks Apple could seriously have shot themselves in the foot.

What Apple have essentially done, is turn themselves into something they always said they were not, namely Microsoft. We have a monolith seeking market dominance and control, so whether it's Apple or Microsoft, they're all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

What Apple have essentially done, is turn themselves into something they always said they were not, namely Microsoft. We have a monolith seeking market dominance and control, so whether it's Apple or Microsoft, they're all the same.

My thoughts exactly, Apple have gone from being perceived as the "outsider" and the consumer "White Knight", here to "save the day" to what Microsoft used to be i.e. the bully boys of the tech industry.
    At least this time around we have some heavyweight competitors in Samsung and Google who wont be pushed around or intimidated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

What Apple have essentially done, is turn themselves into something they always said they were not, namely Microsoft.
    To be fair to Microsoft they are a different kettle of fish altogether. Microsoft did want it all but they never really restricted you in the same way Apple did. Microsoft is compatible with all sorts of tech and software. Where as Apple forced you to use Apple.

ScumLord wrote: »
    To be fair to Microsoft they are a different kettle of fish altogether. Microsoft did want it all but they never really restricted you in the same way Apple did. Microsoft is compatible with all sorts of tech and software. Where as Apple forced you to use Apple.

It is funny that we've gotten to this point alright. One difference though would be that Microsoft had to stay "open" to some extent while because of Apple were seen people lapped up their closed garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Apple have really slapped Samsung down a notch. Samsung have no sense of innovation an just copy everything Apple do. They got their just desserts. Sales of Apple products shoot up, the company valuation goes up, phone sales go up. Brilliant.

Samsung should have a whole slew of their phones banned in the EU as well as the US. The great thing about what Apple is doing is that it will benefit us users enormously. It will force Samsung and others to start innovating instead of copying. It will push them to come up with their own ideas and not just photocopy Apple's designs.

We need more companies like Apple. More companies that invest in new great products with great design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

ScumLord wrote: »

That's a very good point.

• Advertisement

Piliger wrote: »
    Apple have really slapped Samsung down a notch. Samsung have no sense of innovation an just copy everything Apple do. They got their just desserts. Sales of Apple products shoot up, the company valuation goes up, phone sales go up. Brilliant.

Samsung should have a whole slew of their phones banned in the EU as well as the US. The great thing about what Apple is doing is that it will benefit us users enormously. It will force Samsung and others to start innovating instead of copying. It will push them to come up with their own ideas and not just photocopy Apple's designs.

We need more companies like Apple. More companies that invest in new great products with great design.

Not sure if Poe or Pure. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

****ing hell. Were you brainwashed?

Baa!!! We got a live one here folks :pac:

HAHAHAHHAHAHhahhahAHHAhahhHAHAHAHHHAHAHA

You're right, until companies release phones in the shape of a mobius strip it's all just copying Apple.

• Advertisement

I have to say "Fair play!"

You gave me a laugh! :D

People like this i swear i just picture them in front of a macbook pleasuring themselves with an iPhone 4 with a Steve jobs case on it. :)

Brainwashed isnt the word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Factually inaccurate.

A comparison can be made between older Samsung devices such as the Galaxy 1 and 2 and iPhone, but the exact same ones can be made with Nokia, HTC and Sony devices, even a few Motorolas, eg rounded corners.

Also, iPhone has 'copied' numerous aspects of other companies phones to improve their own product. I can easily make the case that the iPhone is merely a larger version of a Nokia, same rounded corners and all. Don't forget, Apple is also facing (and losing) a number of Patent Trials across the world because they (by their own logic) stole from others.

The Galaxy S3 on the other hand is completely different to any Apple product, in fact Samsung got a lot of hassle from Tech reviewers because of the totally new shape and design. Many claimed it was too big, the wrong shape and so, but it has absolutely blasted the markets.

The trial between Apple and Samsung is clearly based on Apples knowledge that Samsung and Android are rapidly catching up with them in the SmartPhone market, and many analysts are predicting that with the results of the trial, the changing of the market, that Samsung and the S3 (or even the S4) will knock the iPhone from it's top.

The S3 is all around a much better phone than the iPhone 5, and any honest review site is saying as much, in fact a lot of phone companies are willingly stating it too.

Now, this is not to say the iPhone 5 is a bad phone, it will be very good. However, everything it has, the S3 already has and quite a lot more.
    We're expected to impressed that Apples Siri will know work "properly" outside of the U.S., or even impressed but it's Passbook, but neither of these things are unique or even new.
    They are already functioning (better) on the S3 and other Android devices.

There is nothing 'new' on iOS6, at least nothing that Android doesn't already offer.
    Apple Maps looks impressive, that is until you leave the Tourist spots and go somewhere other than New York and other major cities.

The S3 gives much more from the moment you purchase it, especially it's memory space (which is expandable), has no problem running any browser and doesn't intentionally restrict people from using other (rival) companies apps.

This post was, ironically written on my iPhone, which will soon be traded in for a Galaxy S3. Which is working fine and won't need to get "new version" (cough 4S cough), just to fix bugs that should never have happened.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Apple Maps looks impressive, that is until you leave the Tourist spots and go somewhere other than New York and other major cities.

I'm still laughing at this one
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0920/breaking20.html

Pretty stupid of Apple to drop Google maps completely, it's going to loose them lots of customers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Factually inaccurate.

Factually accurate actually. Your points do not hold any water. None.

Just because a bunch of Apple haters have fun playing imaginary games doesn't make them true.

Hey ...but keep taking the pills !:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement