Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple vs. Samsung - The Verdict(s) are rolling in

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Piliger wrote: »
    Factually accurate actually. Your points do not hold any water. None.

Just because a bunch of Apple haters have fun playing imaginary games doesn't make them true.

Hey ...but keep taking the pills !:D

Explain? Or is a "they just dont" argument. Counter points are nice

Just because a bunch of Apple haters have fun playing imaginary games doesn't make them true.

I like this guy. He's funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Youre completely deluded.

Just because someone doesnt Worship Apple they are taking pills.

Could you please argue your point rather than act like a spoiled little baby?

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Factually inaccurate.

A comparison can be made between older Samsung devices such as the Galaxy 1 and 2 and iPhone, but the exact same ones can be made with Nokia, HTC and Sony devices, even a few Motorolas, eg rounded corners.

Also, iPhone has 'copied' numerous aspects of other companies phones to improve their own product. I can easily make the case that the iPhone is merely a larger version of a Nokia, same rounded corners and all. Don't forget, Apple is also facing (and losing) a number of Patent Trials across the world because they (by their own logic) stole from others.

The Galaxy S3 on the other hand is completely different to any Apple product, in fact Samsung got a lot of hassle from Tech reviewers because of the totally new shape and design. Many claimed it was too big, the wrong shape and so, but it has absolutely blasted the markets.

The trial between Apple and Samsung is clearly based on Apples knowledge that Samsung and Android are rapidly catching up with them in the SmartPhone market, and many analysts are predicting that with the results of the trial, the changing of the market, that Samsung and the S3 (or even the S4) will knock the iPhone from it's top.

The S3 is all around a much better phone than the iPhone 5, and any honest review site is saying as much, in fact a lot of phone companies are willingly stating it too.

Now, this is not to say the iPhone 5 is a bad phone, it will be very good. However, everything it has, the S3 already has and quite a lot more.
    We're expected to impressed that Apples Siri will know work "properly" outside of the U.S., or even impressed but it's Passbook, but neither of these things are unique or even new.
    They are already functioning (better) on the S3 and other Android devices.

There is nothing 'new' on iOS6, at least nothing that Android doesn't already offer.
    Apple Maps looks impressive, that is until you leave the Tourist spots and go somewhere other than New York and other major cities.

The S3 gives much more from the moment you purchase it, especially it's memory space (which is expandable), has no problem running any browser and doesn't intentionally restrict people from using other (rival) companies apps.

This post was, ironically written on my iPhone, which will soon be traded in for a Galaxy S3. Which is working fine and won't need to get "new version" (cough 4S cough), just to fix bugs that should never have happened.

The s3 is a big plastic cheap feeling monstrosity, if I want a tablet I will by one. Stupid big and running an inferior operating system. I have never once felt restricted by ios, well unless by freedom people mean constantly messing with android to try and make it run something like ios does straight out of the box.

You will regret moving to the s3 sharpish I can guarantee you. The devil himself wouldn't make me change to an android phone.

The s3 is a big plastic cheap feeling monstrosity, if I want a tablet I will by one. Stupid big and running an inferior operating system. I have never once felt restricted by ios, well unless by freedom people mean constantly messing with android to try and make it run something like ios does straight out of the box.

You will regret moving to the s3 sharpish I can guarantee you. The devil himself wouldn't make me change to an android phone.

Like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Try putting some music and vids on your iphone without using itunes. Itunes is the devils bastard child, worst POS software you could ever install on a PC. Yuck

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Try putting some music and vids on your iphone without using itunes. Itunes is the devils bastard child, worst POS software you could ever install on a PC. Yuck

Why would I want to put music on other than using iTunes, I was using iTunes for organizing my music even before I had an iPhone I always liked it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Kies is not that far off to be honest

Why would I want to put music on other than using iTunes, I was using iTunes for organizing my music even before I had an iPhone I always liked it.

Drag and drop or copy and paste, why use crappy software? Even go to a mates house and borrow some music/vids. Itunes is a method of locking you in

So in this case extra software you have to mess around with is a plus instead of just working

• Advertisement

Jarren wrote: »

Nobody forces you to use kies. I generally just use the Piratebay and download it straight to phone. Nice being able to download torrents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Unless you have tiny hands, then it's hardly monstrous. And it's certainly nothing like a Phablet.

I've already said it is a larger phone, and that suits some people. For myself, I find the iPhone doesn't fit in my hand so well, and long use can cramp my hand.

I really don't know how you got the impression if feels cheap, unless you've only been holding the demo version?

I can accept you don't like the look of it, that's all fine and your opinion. I personally am not big on HTC or the Nokia Lumia line, and tend to lean more towards Samsung or Apple.

As for your comments on Android, I'll just dismiss those as being silly and a complete lack of knowledge on it. Android had problems many years ago, hell, it's the reason I avoided the S1 and S2, but those have all been fixed, much like the iOS for 3G and 3GS.

If customization isn't your thing, then stick with Apple. I personally like the freedom to modify my device as much as possible, without having to resort to jailbreaking it, and for that reason I'll choose the Android and S3.

I sell both products in my job, and have a lot of experience with both Apple and Samsung, and in this case, the S3 is the better phone. Maybe my opinion will change when I get my hands on the iPhone 5, but right now it's unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Jarren wrote: »

Yeah but we can, if we wish, just forget Kies even exists. No risk of losing your entire music library either. (Um do Apple still do that?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Jernal wrote: »
    . (Um do Apple still do that?)

They do,I love the simplicity of Android,no messing around with itunes.I want a video on my phone,simply drag & drop.Music the same.Plus now Apple tell people they are only borrowing the music they bought!!!!

Converted my brother to Android within an hour of him playing with my s2. He was gonna get the iPhone 5 and is set on an s3 now instead. I used his iPhone for a while and hated it.. I owned an itouch years ago and it felt the exact same and utterly boring.

I had Boardwalk Empire on my phone and he wanted it aswell. Didn't even try and put it on the iphone since I presume its as much pants as it was years ago. Then I setup a wifi network with my s2, hooked up my gf's HTC to it and ftped it to her instantly just to show the convenience of it.

Media999 wrote: »
    Nobody forces you to use kies. I generally just use the Piratebay and download it straight to phone. Nice being able to download torrents.

I well aware of the fact that I don't have to be using Kies however Samsung absolutely made a cock up of Kies.

Sent from my SGS2 :pac:

Jernal wrote: »
    Yeah but we can, if we wish, just forget Kies even exists. No risk of losing your entire music library either. (Um do Apple still do that?)

Agreed

I only used Kies once and was a simple case of freezing my pc .

Still crap program though :)

Airdroid folks, you never need nor want to use Kies. Airdroid does so much more
    http://airdroid.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

and you don't even own the bloody music . how ****ed up is that after you paying for it! !
    Android all the way.

• Advertisement

crazygeryy wrote: »
    and you don't even own the bloody music . how ****ed up is that after you paying for it! !
    Android all the way.

I think I have one song I paid for in my entire iTunes library, everything else was torrents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Converted my brother to Android within an hour of him playing with my s2. He was gonna get the iPhone 5 and is set on an s3 now instead. I used his iPhone for a while and hated it.. I owned an itouch years ago and it felt the exact same and utterly boring.

I had Boardwalk Empire on my phone and he wanted it aswell. Didn't even try and put it on the iphone since I presume its as much pants as it was years ago. Then I setup a wifi network with my s2, hooked up my gf's HTC to it and ftped it to her instantly just to show the convenience of it.

I am forever thankful that there are suckers like you guys around NOT buying iPhones ... it makes it so much easier for people who know what they are doing to get ours :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It hasn't got any better then. I remember trying to put music on someones iPod nano. It was a confusing nightmare. It took me an hour to get any music on it at all, it tried converting all the music on my PC, couldn't just move the music onto the iPod had to make a playlist. It was infuriating!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

ScumLord wrote: »
    It hasn't got any better then. I remember trying to put music on someones iPod nano. It was a confusing nightmare. It took me an hour to get any music on it at all, it tried converting all the music on my PC, couldn't just move the music onto the iPod had to make a playlist. It was infuriating!

Import folder to iTunes.....wait few seconds....songs appear in iTunes nice and organised... drag and drop in iPhone/iPod...job done. How people have difficulty with this I don't know.

Import folder to iTunes.....wait few seconds....songs appear in iTunes nice and organised... drag and drop in iPhone/iPod...job done. How people have difficulty with this I don't know.

Why use a software at all, copy and paste is built in.

There are a few reasons it's shíte. It's a clunky POS software designed for a Mac, not Windows. Then it tries to convert your music to a format that no other device will play, Mp3 is not the default. It will only sync files that are in a format the phone is allowed to play.

• Advertisement

Why use a software at all, copy and paste is built in.

There are a few reasons it's shíte. It's a clunky POS software designed for a Mac, not Windows. Then it tries to convert your music to a format that no other device will play, Mp3 is not the default. It will only sync files that are in a format the phone is allowed to play.

If you don't use software you end up with a big mess of files and folders containing all your music and you dont know whats on your device and whats not on it. With iTunes you just plug in the iPhone/iPod and it syncs any new stuff you have added without even thinking about it.

Also if all your music is just in files and folders its not much good when you want to play music from your laptop or make playlists etc so you have to use some sort of media player and it might as well be iTunes.

As far as other devices are concerned all the music is still sitting in folders in mp3 format so if for some reason you want to put it on another device there is nothing stopping you.

If you don't use software you end up with a big mess of files and folders containing all your music and you dont know whats on your device and whats not on it. With iTunes you just plug in the phone/iPod and it syncs any new stuff you have added without even thinking about it.

Also if all your music is just in files and folders its not much good when you want to play music from your laptop so you have to use some sort of media player and it might as well be iTunes.

As far as other devices are concerned all the music is still sitting in folders in mp3 format so if for some reason you want to put it on another device there is nothing stopping you.

I have nearly 4TB's of media, it's not a mess, it's perfectly organised actually. I'd rather use my software of choice:
    http://www.winamp.com/

I have nearly 4TB's of media, it's not a mess, it's perfectly organised actually. I'd rather use my software of choice:
    http://www.winamp.com/

I used iTunes by choice before I ever had an iPhone. I don't have much music anyway only around 1Gb on the phone. I tend to download a couple of songs every now and then that are in the charts but that's about it. I Listen to youtube and radio staion apps as much as anything.

I used iTunes by choice before I ever had an iPhone. I don't have much music anyway only around 1Gb on the phone. I tend to download a couple of songs every now and then that are in the charts but that's about it. I Listen to youtube and radio staion apps as much as anything.

That's why iTunes is OK for you. I have 130GB of music and it's just terrible with a collection that size. The latest versions of Windows do a much better job at presenting media, which is why I prefer to just copy and paste

If you don't use software you end up with a big mess of files and folders containing all your music and you dont know whats on your device and whats not on it. With iTunes you just plug in the iPhone/iPod and it syncs any new stuff you have added without even thinking about it.

1GB of music is a huge mess? Really?

• Advertisement

Had to laugh at this

I am forever thankful that there are suckers like you guys around NOT buying iPhones ... it makes it so much easier for people who know what they are doing to get ours :D

Try as I might, I've no idea what ya mean.. What's "ours"?

1GB of music is a huge mess? Really?

I have a lot more than 1Gb but its all stuff I haven't listened to for ages and I don't even know what I have or even where a lot of it is between 2 laptops and an external drive but the 1Gb or so I have put into iTunes I have a proper handle on.

I have a lot more than 1Gb but its all stuff I haven't listened to for ages and I don't even know what I have or even where a lot of it is between 2 laptops and an external drive but the 1Gb or so I have put into iTunes I have a proper handle on.

Itunes is perfect for you then so, you must be one of them former Nokia users :pac:

How am I not surprised ........ :D

That's why iTunes is OK for you. I have 130GB of music and it's just terrible with a collection that size. The latest versions of Windows do a much better job at presenting media, which is why I prefer to just copy and paste

Well with that ridiculous amount of music I personally feel you deserve to have problems ..... :rolleyes:

iSheep.

Its even more similar to the iPhone 4 than i thought.

Well with that ridiculous amount of music I personally feel you deserve to have problems ..... :rolleyes:

Problems, I've no problems. What's ridiculous about it? With two adults and two teenage children the collection gets fairly big, we each have our own taste. It's all stored on a media server, nice and neatly sorted and everyones devices can play it.

Itunes is perfect for you then so, you must be one of them former Nokia users :pac:

Well yeah before the iPhone came along Nokia was king, not sure what you mean by it though.

• Advertisement

Well yeah before the iPhone came along Nokia was king, not sure what you mean by it though.

Somebody posted earlier that there is a thing among iPhone users, like there was with Nokias a few years back, that they can only use iPhones and everything else bugs them, even if they're better.

Somebody posted earlier that there is a thing among iPhone users, like there was with Nokias a few years back, that they can only use iPhones and everything else bugs them, even if they're better.

Old Nokias, iPhones and Casio calculators ftw :D Sharp calculators should all be burned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Magic!

Some genius...genii...glued the new iPhone to the ground in Amsterdam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Shafted by Apple.

How am I not surprised ........ :D

Still not getting it.. Is it because you think I'm too stupid or something to use an iPhone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Problems, I've no problems. What's ridiculous about it? With two adults and two teenage children the collection gets fairly big, we each have our own taste. It's all stored on a media server, nice and neatly sorted and everyones devices can play it.

That feel when I've a 100gb music collection made by myself and even that's been pruned down as I delete anything I don't like :o

I'm thinking of buying a phone in Hong Kong next month but actually have very little experience with smartphones. I had a HTC Wildfire S that got stolen but basically I still need to bring my 80gb ipod around with me. Would like quite a large capacity whatever I get as I don't like to be limited tunewise.

Was looking at the Samsung Note, what are people's thoughts on this? Yes it's big for a phone but like... it certainly still qualifies as portable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Kold wrote: »

Was looking at the Samsung Note, what are people's thoughts on this? Yes it's big for a phone but like... it certainly still qualifies as portable.

There's a new one in 2 weeks so either wait for that or get the current one at a much cheaper price

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭TheBoss!

Seen someone with a Note on the Luas last week and all I could think of was:

That feel when I've a 100gb music collection made by myself and even that's been pruned down as I delete anything I don't like :o

I'm thinking of buying a phone in Hong Kong next month but actually have very little experience with smartphones. I had a HTC Wildfire S that got stolen but basically I still need to bring my 80gb ipod around with me. Would like quite a large capacity whatever I get as I don't like to be limited tunewise.

get an S3 and put a 64gb micro sd card in it. Unless you need a note its hardly a good choice. Its like a mini tablet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I have to agree i like how iTunes keeps my music nicely organised and automatically adds any new music to my ipod when i sync it.

Advertisement