Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple vs. Samsung - The Verdict(s) are rolling in

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

I have to agree i like how iTunes keeps my music nicely organised and automatically adds any new music to my ipod when i sync it.

What happens when your device is full, when you've more songs than the iPhone/iPod can hold?

I prefer to choose what songs I want and just drag and drop them onto the device. I really hate unnecessary automation on computers.

What happens when your device is full, when you've more songs than the iPhone/iPod can hold?

I prefer to choose what songs I want and just drag and drop them onto the device. I really hate unnecessary automation on computers.

Then you deselect the ones you don't want on there. ;)

I haven't had many good things to say about Apple lately but I do like that I can add stuff to the library and it'll also go to the phone without me thinking about it. Otherwise I'd probably have to set up a robocopy or xcopy script to do the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I have to agree i like how iTunes keeps my music nicely organised and automatically adds any new music to my ipod when i sync it.

I've been using iTUnes since it's inception, on a range of Macs and never had a momentary problem. It works smoothly and comprehensively. I use it for my music, videos, podcasts and apps. I use it to change formats and to manage everything on my iPhones.

Brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Piliger wrote: »
    I've been using iTUnes since it's inception, on a range of Macs and never had a momentary problem. It works smoothly and comprehensively. I use it for my music, videos, podcasts and apps. I use it to change formats and to manage everything on my iPhones.

Brilliant.

Therein lies the problem, it is built for Mac, it does not integrate as nicely on a Windows PC and feels clunky. It also only syncs what formats Apple allows you to play, it won't play all formats. I have some music in FLAC so an Apple device is pointless for me

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

MediaMonkey lets you keep a library and sync with Android phones (as well as others), at least you have a choice with android, WP, wheras with iPhone you much use Apples own software and it did my head in when I had an ipod (not to mention the massive Apple software updates pretty much weekly and then the having to restore the ipod when itunes botched it up). I have no expierience with itunes on Macs but on windows it is dreadful.

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Media999 wrote: »
    Its even more similar to the iPhone 4 than i thought.

Talk about #firstowrldproblems... "Ohhhh nooooo, my thumb has to stretch every so slightly further to reach the top of the screen". Oh the horror! :rolleyes:

The fact is - it's what you're used to - and most of the world are used to the size of the iPhone as it has barely changed since the beginning. I'm sure years ago millions of people looked at the iPhone compared to the Nokia they had and thought it was massive and moaned then that it was too big, but if you actually used it you'll see the advantages of a bigger screen - they far outweigh any small inconvenience you might think of having a slightly larger handset.

I went from the iPhone to a small android phone (HTC Desire), then to a bigger android phone (Sensation), and now to the HTC One X which has the same size screen as the S3. I have tiny hands and I have absolutely NO problem whatsoever with the size of the phone - I adore the big screen. I had to use an iPhone 4 the other day for searching the web for some info and found it annoying to ahve to deal with a small screen and having to zoom in so often. On the other side, my dad has a Samsung Galaxy Note and after playing with that for a while I really loved it I thought it was a great phone. Now yes for me personally its too big as it just does not fit in my pocket comfortably - however, when I went back to my phone i thought it looked small and dinky in comparison! As i say, it's perception and it's just what you are used to. I completely believe that any iPhone user if they really gave the One X or S3 a proper go and used it for a few days their minds would change.

If Apple come out with a bigger phone in the next few years, most Apple fan's will reduce and say how much better it is now that they have a bigger screen. Fact is there is a reason Apple are possibly the most incredible company ever, and it's because they are absolutely unbelievable at getting their customers completely bought in to loving every single tiny thing they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Zascar wrote: »
    If Apple come out with a bigger phone in the next few years, most Apple fan's will reduce and say how much better it is now that they have a bigger screen. Fact is there is a reason Apple are possibly the most incredible company ever, and it's because they are absolutely unbelievable at getting their customers completely bought in to loving every single tiny thing they do.

The exact phrase used will be "Apple done a bigger screen the right way"

I'd have any money the next iPhone will be ~4.3", that is after they've released the 5s with NFC or wireless charging

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

The exact phrase used will be "Apple done a bigger screen the right way"

They already have:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

To be honest, I ****ing hate all of those iPhones/Samsung/Android smart phones or whatever they're called. I don't do well with touch screens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

They already have:

Well, they can pretty much never change the size of the screen again, now.

Apple can pretty much do aything they want. They can do a 100% complete turnaround on whatever the hell they preached in the past, and their millions of fans will welcome whatever new things they bring out with open arms and mass hysteria

Apple can pretty much do aything they want. They can do a 100% complete turnaround on whatever the hell they preached in the past, and their millions of fans will welcome whatever new things they bring out with open arms and mass hysteria

Will the next turnaround be the return of Google maps :p

That's because they make great decisions. Apple users are the most knowledgable users in the market. We buy the best and only the best.

That's because they make great decisions. Apple users are the most knowledgable users in the market. We buy the best and only the best.

Yep, like dropping Google maps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

We buy the best and only what we've been lead to believe is the best through social conditioning and slick marketing campaigns.
    FYP

That's exactly why Apple can be "innovative". No other company could increase screen resolution to the point that it makes no noticeable difference and know that hundreds of thousands of people will pay an extra 500 quid for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭kirving

Nope.

Best camera? No. (Apple get around this by saying stuff like "the best camera is the one you have with you")

Best screen? No.

It's too small in today's market, and I love how they make it sound like they've invented a new aspect ratio?

Best OS? No.
    It's locked down, lacks a proper file system , and looks like it was made by fisher price.

Best battery? No.

As a package, it's very good, but it isn't the best at anything.

Nope.

Best camera? No. (Apple get around this by saying stuff like "the best camera is the one you have with you")

Best screen? No.

It's too small in today's market, and I love how they make it sound like they've invented a new aspect ratio?

Best OS? No.
    It's locked down, lacks a proper file system , and looks like it was made by fisher price.

Best battery? No.

As a package, it's very good, but it isn't the best at anything.

Best marketing :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

That would probably be the biggest load of BS I've read today.

A huge chunk of people only buy it becuase of the brand and becuase "it just works". Hardcore Apple fans generally have no clue about what's in their phone or what else is on the market. The Apple media device forum here is proof of that, with nobody knowing what OLED was, saying "internal specs are not important" (big wtf) and saying NFC/wireless charging/bigger screens were not at all important.

The iPhone is a great product, but it is not the best at everything. Very good at a lot of things, but that statement is not true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Apple users are the most knowledgable users in the market.

That is the ****ing dumbest thing ive ever read on Boards.

You cant even produce one simple fact on what makes them the best. Apple load you up with bullet point bull**** and away you go thinking youre smart.

Complete and utter iSheep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

That's because they make great decisions. Apple users are the most knowledgable deluded users in the market. We buy the best and only the best.

All I've read from you is this type of rubbish, petty comments, zero insight and nothing to back up your ludicrous statements.

I work in IT, knowledgable users (techie people who know what the f*ck they're talking about, not the likes of you) primarily do not use Apple products!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I Am Kong! wrote: »
    All I've read from you is this type of rubbish, petty comments, zero insight and nothing to back up your ludicrous statements.

I work in IT, knowledgable users (techie people who know what the f*ck they're talking about, not the likes of you) primarily do not use Apple products!
    In fairness for media, it's mainly macs they use because they're more suited for it. My cousin is in film and him and his team only use mac and have found windows frustrating in comparison.

Now, that'd probably be the only advantage a mac would have over a pc though. For Engineering or other heavy processing, it's just not viable because the software is just not there for them and it could be done cheaper on windows.

1ZRed wrote: »
    In fairness for media, it's mainly macs they use because they're more suited for it. My cousin is in film and him and his team only use mac and have found windows frustrating in comparison.

Now, that'd probably be the only advantage a mac would have over a pc though. For Engineering or other heavy processing, it's just not viable because the software is just not there for them and it could be done cheaper on windows.

But what makes a Mac for suitable for it? The likes of Adobe Photoshop and Premiere have been available on Windows for years.

I Am Kong! wrote: »

I work in telecoms research myself and use equipment everyday and work with prototype devices that most people would struggle to turn/understand what they even do so I have enough messing with equipment that I just want a product which is excellent out of the box like an iPhone, the last thing I want is a machine I need to put any effort into using or mess with in anyway behind the scenes.

Also where I work apple products are very popular and these people are top researchers working on stuff that might be heard about in 15 years time so I would say they know a thing or two ;)

As above, a number of the theory guys that I know at work who do heavy processing will only use macbooks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Karsini wrote: »
    But what makes a Mac for suitable for it? The likes of Adobe Photoshop and Premiere have been available on Windows for years.

Years ago adobe ps worked better on mac.. these days others could say very different but... I still think screens are a little better in terms of calibration on macs then pcs.. Other then that there isn't anything else other then... Navigating osx is a hell of a lot faster then windows.

Listen il use a pc if I have to Ill use a mac if i have to.. Its just a medium to perform a task weather that be graphic work photography work or editing, Id prefer to work, mac because I know it better and i find it more relaxed to use :)

I also find when something goes worng you have to switch a pc of and on again never once had to do that with me mac :D...

This thread could be like Canon vrs Nikon in all fairness there a tool to do a job its doesnt matter how good the tool is if you cant do the job what the fvck good is any tool....

I work in research myself and use equipment everyday that most people would struggle to turn on so I have enough messing with equipment that I just want a product which is excellent out of the box like an iPhone, the last thing I want is a machine I need to but any effort into using or mess with in anyway behind the scenes.

Also where I work apple products are very popular and these people are top researchers working on stuff that might be heard about in 15 years time so I would say they know a thing or two ;)

As above, a number of the theory guys that I know at work who do heavy processing will only use macbooks.

Hmmmmm, Yet you find it difficult managing a pityful 1GB of music and need software to sort it into folders.
    If you don't use software you end up with a big mess of files and folders containing all your music and you dont know whats on your device and whats not on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I'm sorry, you're full of ****.

no researcher doing 'processing' worth anything is going to use a laptop, let alone a macbook.

Ive worked with people in physics research in a university, and they all run PCs with 2600K's overclocked, and nvidia tesla/quadro GPUs. nothing comes close to that number crunching performance with an apple on the front.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Hmmmmm, Yet you find it difficult managing a pityful 1GB of music and need software to sort it into folders.

For a start I said I had 1Gb on my phone, I have a lot more than 1Gb not on the phone and I never said I had difficulty in doing it I just dont want to have to go looking in a folder when I want to play a song or put any thought into it. I open a iTunes and press play, game over.
    Tea_Bag wrote: »
    I'm sorry, you're full of ****.

no researcher doing 'processing' worth anything is going to use a laptop, let alone a macbook.

Ive worked with people in physics research in a university, and they all run PCs with 2600K's overclocked, and nvidia tesla/quadro GPUs. nothing comes close to that number crunching performance with an apple on the front.

You know f**k about me and you say I'm full of ****e. I do physics research myself and work with physics and maths researchers and some (not all) of the lads who do theory use macbooks, they would do some stuff on linux machines also but a lot of there day to day simulations are done on macbooks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I did apologize at the start of the sentence, but I'm calling you on your porky.

telekoms doesn't inspire me with facing intensive algorithms or data crunching, no offence, I don't know enough about the industry.

I don't doubt that your physics friends work on MacBooks. I have some myself who barely need a PC at all doing PhDs in physics. doesn't mean its more suitable to the job of data crunching.

when you're predicting critical dampening on earthquakes, or modeling population density across the planet etc etc you don't turn to your MacBook unless you have nothing better to do for the rest of the day but stare at an empty screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭boblong

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    .... you don't turn to your MacBook unless you have nothing better to do for the rest of the day but stare at an empty screen.

This might be cheeky, but I like this image:P

http://www.edibleapple.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/macbook-pros-nasa-mars-rover.jpg

EDIT:

To expand, as someone who is a recent (~2 years) convert to the Apple ecosystem, any Unix derived operating system is usable for work. As a student and programmer, I like the quality of the software available on mac (Textmate, Reeder, Adium etc.) that I'm sure has alternatives on other platforms, but none that really appeal to me. For the same reason I prefer the iPhone. That's an unapologetic preference! However, I keep an old android because I like messing with custom ROMs, which I guess makes me a moderate. I'd never stoop to the confusingly low depths of judging someone's intelligence or character based on their choice of consumer electronics, and would expect the same from others.

You know f**k about me and you say I'm full of ****e. I do physics research myself and work with physics and maths researchers and some (not all) of the lads who do theory use macbooks, they would do some stuff on linux machines also but a lot of there day to day simulations are done on macbooks.

Same in the Physics dept of TCD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Same in the Physics dept of TCD.

Whatever they're doing doesn't require heavy processing then. You'd be mad to try anything CPU-intensive on any laptop, never mind a Macbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

I work in telecoms research myself and use equipment everyday and work with prototype devices that most people would struggle to turn/understand what they even do so I have enough messing with equipment that I just want a product which is excellent out of the box like an iPhone, the last thing I want is a machine I need to put any effort into using or mess with in anyway behind the scenes.

I'm surprised no one has pointed this out, but just to let you know that Android phones do work out of the box. No need to mess around or change things at all. Put in your sim card, turn it on, and you have a phone.

No software required on your computer in order to transfer media onto it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Whatever they're doing doesn't require heavy processing then. You'd be mad to try anything CPU-intensive on any laptop, never mind a Macbook.

Just like most people that use macs for development they would have lots of terminal sessions open to a server. In other words they don't use the mac for development at all.

• Advertisement

I'm surprised no one has pointed this out, but just to let you know that Android phones do work out of the box. No need to mess around or change things at all. Put in your sim card, turn it on, and you have a phone.

No software required on your computer in order to transfer media onto it either.

Agreed. I think some people have a negative opinion on them because of the older version of android on crappy handsets which were a bit buggy and needed setup etc - these days stock Android 4.0+ is fantastic right out of the box, but if you do want to personalise/customise that's where android comes into its own and shows up apple for being a 6 year old OS that has not changed all that much in that time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Karsini wrote: »
    Snowie wrote: »
    Years ago adobe ps worked better on mac.. these days others could say very different but... I still think screens are a little better in terms of calibration on macs then pcs.. Other then that there isn't anything else other then... Navigating osx is a hell of a lot faster then windows.
    Snowie sums it up pretty much. Windows defo made improvements in the past few years on the graphic design score. It used to be horribly longwinded and crap to use(linux isn't even in the discussion and no GIMP doesn't cut it). Still calibration is better on the macs, everything on screen is in postscript out of the box, colour management is very much superior on macs and again out of the box(Digital colour meter alone is worth the price of admission. Ditto for quartz extreme). Font management is again superior on macs. It's desktop paradigm is generally easier to navigate for designers dealing with large quantities of different file types. Even something like quick look(ability to view your files without opening apps) makes a noticeable difference in efficiency. Cursor control is often more precise with a better "feel" on macs, even with externa tablets and I've never and I do mean never used a PC trackpad that came close to the feel of a mac trackpad, even with major fiddling with settings. Seems to be a hardware thing too. Running win 7 on a macbook the feel of the trackpad was better before installing the mac trackpad specific software. I know a chap who has zero time for apple and has been an MS user for decades, but uses a macbook pro exclusively running windows(deleted the mac os entirely) for this reason among others.

Other aspects come into play too. For web designers the fact that macs can run other operating systems out of the box is a major bonus. Makes it easier to cross platform check your output. Actually that's one very handy thing about macs in general. I know people with macos, and various flavours of windows and linux running on the same machine, either in virtualisation or natively from boot up. This makes them very handy for developers too. Sure with a PC you could build a "hackintosh". I have, but it's a major kludge and life is just too damn short. If you had to have just one machine that out of the box allowed you to run all the software out there then a mac is the only game in town on that score.
    This thread could be like Canon vrs Nikon in all fairness there a tool to do a job its doesnt matter how good the tool is if you cant do the job what the fvck good is any tool....
    +1. Like the above graphic design argument. Macs are just a better bet. On the other side of the coin, sure you could use mac OS for business and accountancy purposes, but I'd rather bate my head off a pebble dashed wall than do so. Ditto for decent gaming. Yea you can game on a mac, but you can also shove pencils up your nose, it doesn't make it a pleasurable thing to do. Horses for courses.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

lol, All this Apple is better, Windows is better, Android is better crap is pathetic. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Its like comparing Audi to BMW, the colour blue to the colour red, how many spoons of sugar someone likes in their tea. Its so bloody petty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Hogzy wrote: »
    ...how many spoons of sugar someone likes in their tea. Its so bloody petty.

What about coffee drinkers?
    Do they not merit a mention? :p

O' yea, its all tea, tea, tea... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

lol, All this Apple is better, Windows is better, Android is better crap is pathetic. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Its like comparing Audi to BMW, the colour blue to the colour red, how many spoons of sugar someone likes in their tea. Its so bloody petty.

No.... just no.

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »
    What about coffee drinkers?
    Do they not merit a mention? :p

O' yea, its all tea, tea, tea... :D

lol, did you really go through all my posts to find some dirt on me. :D
    In fairness, one post is hardly comparable to the penis sword fights going on in here.

Is arguing what football team is better pathetic? What about politics? It's all relative. It's called discussion. Yes it's very niche but if you have no interest, why are you wasting your time reading the thread?

The fact is that Apple fanboys have always had a massive superiority complex. They hailed the iPhone as the best bit of technology ever for many years and slagged off Android as being being totally inferior. This pretty much was the case for many years in the earlier versions of Android - but now things have changed, and especially with Android 4.1 (Jellybean) - it's a far far better OS and technologically miles better. Because of this, many people just think that the iSheep should cop on and stop praising Apple and Steve Jobs like Gods. Apple still claim that iOS is "The worlds most advanced OS" - because most people who are not totally clued up on the differences, will simply believe them.

If someone comes to me asking what smartphone to get - if they are just a normal person with no particular interest in technology, I will advice 95% of them to get an iPhone. They are a very good piece of kit and you won't go wrong. However if someone wants the best phone possibly available - it's not the iPhone - it's an Android - there are a few to choose from.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

lol, did you really go through all my posts to find some dirt on me. :D
    In fairness, one post is hardly comparable to the penis sword fights going on in here.

No worries - Mrs Doyle (Pauline McLynn) would be proud of you! ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I had an iPod long before I had an iPhone and have to agree that iTunes on windows is not really user friendly. It's complicated and cumbersome to move music and trying use the same account for different devices is a pure balls. I set up a new iTunes account when I got my iPhone as I keep all my music on an iPod and so don't use the phone for music.

Before I got the iPod i had a Sony Ericsson MP3 player and their management system (can't think of its name anymore) is so much more user friendly although basic.

Is arguing what football team is better pathetic? What about politics? It's all relative. It's called discussion. Yes it's very niche but if you have no interest, why are you wasting your time reading the thread?

The fact is that Apple fanboys have always had a massive superiority complex. They hailed the iPhone as the best bit of technology ever for many years and slagged off Android as being being totally inferior. This pretty much was the case for many years in the earlier versions of Android - but now things have changed, and especially with Android 4.1 (Jellybean) - it's a far far better OS and technologically miles better. Because of this, many people just think that the iSheep should cop on and stop praising Apple and Steve Jobs like Gods. Apple still claim that iOS is "The worlds most advanced OS" - because most people who are not totally clued up on the differences, will simply believe them.

If someone comes to me asking what smartphone to get - if they are just a normal person with no particular interest in technology, I will advice 95% of them to get an iPhone. They are a very good piece of kit and you won't go wrong. However if someone wants the best phone possibly available - it's not the iPhone - it's an Android - there are a few to choose from.

I completely agree with you. It's the people who have a wholly subjective point of view that annoy me. Both iOS and Android have their strong points and weak points. Same goes for Windows and OSX. It people who do not recognise the strengths and weakness of both their argument (and product theyre trying to defend) and the other persons argument that annoys me. It is those people to whom my post above was directed.

People who have an argument, should back up that argument with rational facts and not respouted marketing BS

I'm a reasonably recent CS graduate from one of the big universities in the country. In my class of 50 odd, there was 1 Apple user. We called him "Mac".

Everyone else used Linux or Windows or both. None of the lecturers used OS X.

There is almost nothing an Apple is better at (developing for iOS is quite difficult on a non Apple computer :P), and most tasks people claim that they are better at, they just aren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

This may have been true in the past but the last few versions of adobes CS series have been optimized for windows and even have rendering features not available on mac, once you launch the program it's essentially the same on either type of operating system. The fact of the matter is the majority of people on the planet use windows, so while the upper echelons of media production can afford to use macs the rest of the human race is using PCs to do the exact same tasks.

ScumLord wrote: »
    the rest of the human race is using PCs to do the exact same tasks.

More efficiently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭boblong

tolosenc wrote: »
    More efficiently.

Would you mind explaining why you think working on Windows (I presume this is what you're referring to, apologies if not) is more efficient than OSX? At least on my mac I can automate my work using zsh and Applescript, on a windows box I'd have to resort to cmd or powerscript, which are really bad, or some other third party thing.

Macfags - a few funnies

• Advertisement
Advertisement