Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple vs. Samsung - The Verdict(s) are rolling in

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

thomasj wrote: »
    Major difference between the radios on the galaxy s3 and HTC one x and the great radio apps you talk about.

The difference is, the apps use data to streamline the radio stations. Hardly any use if you have got a 1gb data plan! Furthermore when you go under a tunnel or out to bad reception areas its disconnected.

With the Samsung/HTC radios they have an actual radio, the headphones are the aerial for the radio so when listening to the radio on them phones you don't use up data.

Exactly, I much prefer an fm radio to streaming, unless I'm at home with wifi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭thomasj

Piliger wrote: »
    Zascar wrote: »
    Apple can pretty much do aything they want. They can do a 100% complete turnaround on whatever the hell they preached in the past, and their millions of fans will welcome whatever new things they bring out with open arms and mass hysteria

That's because they make great decisions. Apple users are the most knowledgable users in the market. We buy the best and only the best.

No they don't! Its because of their fanboy Attitude that apple manage to release the same looking product with same outdated homescreen, same lack of replacable battery, same lack of memory card expansion (900 for 64gb phone?) And replace the proprietary cable size leaving people to buy replacement cables etc and why because they know they can. The queues outside their stores weeks in advance tell them they can. They could release the same boring phone with same boring specs throw in agimmick and know it will be a best seller!

Oh and for the record, one of the points apple made in their us trial was that a large number of people bought a galaxy tab thinking it was an iPad. How on earth can you make that mistake.

What was that you were saying about being knowledgeable?

Piliger wrote: »
    Apple have really slapped Samsung down a notch. Samsung have no sense of innovation an just copy everything Apple do. They got their just desserts. Sales of Apple products shoot up, the company valuation goes up, phone sales go up. Brilliant.

Samsung should have a whole slew of their phones banned in the EU as well as the US. The great thing about what Apple is doing is that it will benefit us users enormously. It will force Samsung and others to start innovating instead of copying. It will push them to come up with their own ideas and not just photocopy Apple's designs.

We need more companies like Apple. More companies that invest in new great products with great design.

There has been around 10 trials between Samsung and apple half of which were in European courts. Not one European court sided with apple.

Only two trials sided with apple, one was in their own backyard go figure and the other one in south Korea the judge found both themselves and Samsung guilty of copying each other and forced both parties to take their older phones off the shelves.

Actually reading that again sounds like its coming from the PR manager for apple :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    I did a jailbreak on an iPhone4 a while ago. I went to jailbreakme.com and pressed a button. took 8 seconds, give or take.

and by 'wait ages after every iOS update', do you mean a day?

You see, that is what is known as a "massive security hole". It means a webpage can own your entire phone, epic fail. And as you know, apple fixed that bug - and you can't properly jailbreak later firmware revisions. Tethered jailbreaks are no good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

srsly78 wrote: »
    You see, that is what is known as a "massive security hole". It means a webpage can own your entire phone, epic fail. And as you know, apple fixed that bug - and you can't properly jailbreak later firmware revisions. Tethered jailbreaks are no good.

Eh, You can jailbreak right up to iOS 5.1.1, And i can guarantee that an iOS jailbreak is quite close to being released given the various screenshots of the iPhone 5 having cydia installed.

A webpage can only "own your entire phone" if you visit that webpage and install the software.

Anything can own any device if you install the relevant software.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

No they don't! Its because of their fanboy Attitude that apple manage to release the same looking product with same outdated homescreen, same lack of replacable battery, same lack of memory card expansion (900 for 64gb phone?) And replace the proprietary cable size leaving people to buy replacement cables etc and why because they know they can. The queues outside their stores weeks in advance tell them they can. They could release the same boring phone with same boring specs throw in agimmick and know it will be a best seller!

Oh and for the record, one of the points apple made in their us trial was that a large number of people bought a galaxy tab thinking it was an iPad. How on earth can you make that mistake.

What was that you were saying about being knowledgeable?

best post on the subject yet, 100% true

You can't fault apple for looking after their customers! :rolleyes:

http:/blog.gsmarena.com/apple-head-of-marketing-comments-the-iphone-5-scratches/

http:/blog.gsmarena.com/apple-head-of-marketing-comments-the-iphone-5-scratches/

What do you expect for £700? :rolleyes:
    :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

huh? That article is just nonsense. Want them to get involved in metallurgy as well and make some new shiney, then patent the bejaysus out of it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

what a joke aluminum bezel and chasing, a new technology :D Nokia n91 was full bulletproof steel phone,Nokia n8 totally made out of steel,not to mention what Nokia phone can withstand versus iphone.Also LTE technology up to 150 mb/s that's amazing you'll be able to use your monthly 1gb limit in less then two minutes watching hd movie online :rolleyes: ,The only thing Apple invented was the design and simplicity of smartphone,other then that all the technology they use and hail was there 5-10 years ago,but put millions into marketing and brainwashing and you'll have yourself army of followers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

scamalert wrote: »
    what a joke aluminum bezel and chasing, a new technology :D Nokia n91 was full bulletproof steel phone,Nokia n8 totally made out of steel,not to mention what Nokia phone can withstand versus iphone.Also LTE technology up to 150 mb/s that's amazing you'll be able to use your monthly 1gb limit in less then two minutes watching hd movie online :rolleyes: ,The only thing Apple invented was the design and simplicity of smartphone,other then that all the technology they use and hail was there 5-10 years ago,but put millions into marketing and brainwashing and you'll have yourself army of followers

lets not forget the desperate mad grab for Map based advertising even if they have to use their customers as a massive debugger.

2 years minimum id say before they catch up with Google Maps. They have to deal with that crappy app until then just so Apple can get extra revenue from Map ads.

jonnny68 wrote: »
    best post on the subject yet, 100% true

and you know what? they will continue to do so!

you see the latest iphone new "lightning cables" (rumours some causing problems), more money to pay, you would have to pay for a micro usb charger adapter. your camera connection kit which increases memory with an externall hdd drive is no longer compatible without a new adapter, the icloud storage is being reduced from 20gb to 5gb and people talk about quality issues with the new phones compared to the older versions and the prices of the phones are going up with phone operators making people on billpay sign 24 month contracts!

and yet you will still see people go mad to get the latest version. it seems to be "just to be cool!

i'm glad i haven't fallen for it!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

and you know what? they will continue to do so!

you see the latest iphone new "lightning cables" (rumours some causing problems), more money to pay, you would have to pay for a micro usb charger adapter. your camera connection kit which increases memory with an externall hdd drive is no longer compatible without a new adapter, the icloud storage is being reduced from 20gb to 5gb and people talk about quality issues with the new phones compared to the older versions and the prices of the phones are going up with phone operators making people on billpay sign 24 month contracts!

and yet you will still see people go mad to get the latest version. it seems to be "just to be cool!

i'm glad i haven't fallen for it!

Not to mention Apple have conveniently made the cables difficult to copy by other companies (here), I'm suprised how Apple get away with bringing out a proprietary connector when european laws state the standard must be MicroUSB. Microsoft are getting sued left right and centre by the EU Competition authority (and rightly so in some cases) for more trivial matters :rolleyes:

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Not to mention Apple have conveniently made the cables difficult to copy by other companies (here), I'm suprised how Apple get away with bringing out a proprietary connector when european laws state the standard must be MicroUSB. Microsoft are getting sued left right and centre by the EU Competition authority (and rightly so in some cases) for more trivial matters :rolleyes:

Nick

The iPhone 5 is coming with a free lightening to micro usb adapter :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Hogzy wrote: »

Only because they have to by European relations

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Only because they have to by European relations

Its probably why they pumped the prices of the phone up by 10% and 15%

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

No reason why they couldn't have just built in a MicroUSB port though. Sure make an additional docking port to the other side of it or combine them for the AV stuff, surely something Apple could have come up with if they wanted to!

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

No it isn't.

I have the iPhone 5. It's not in the box.

• Advertisement

Elessar wrote: »
    No it isn't.

Looks like you're right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

It's another pretty ****ty thing to do by Apple, along with the lightning cables having a special chip so only the expensive official ones will work.

Still I love the iPhone 5 :pac:

we could be looking at a retrial!
    http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/387811/20120925/samsung-retrial-apple-patent-dispute.htm
    The company claims that jurors in the case gave interviews to news publications that provide evidence of misconduct serious enough to have influenced the verdict; as a result, Samsung wants there to be "no further contact with any of the jurors" by both sides.

i think on one occasion the foreman put his foot in it when being interviewed post trial. a patent holder seemed to make errors in interviews.

interesting times ahead!

Elessar wrote: »
    No it isn't.

Looks like you're right.

Yep I remember reading that ! Its redicilous!

I don't know how they can get away it but they can and do.

Sorry for bringing up old thread, funny ad from Conan O'Brien on the new I pad mini

Advertisement