Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Accepting LC offer

• 25-08-2012 9:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

Looking for teachers advice here. A neighbour's child missed their course by 5 points but has it in her head she's going to get it on rechecks. I said she has to accept choice 2 or she's out of the system. That's how it USED to work, least I thought it was when I sat the exams!
    Anyway,she says she doesn't but sure she'll be left with nothing if she doesn't get a place. So my question is, can she just sit tight and do nothing?
    Also, does anyone have stats of how many grades go up or down etc? I know a lad who LOST his place after rechecks as he went down in them...I know a FEW friends and also a few students who went up...not many though!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

If she accepts nothing she will have no place unless her recheck comes through. It may it may not. She can accept no 2 and move up to no 1 if her points improve.

I'm almost sure I heard 19% of grades go up in a recheck situation. I ranted about if for an hour here until I was told to go out to cut the lawn and cool down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭smallgarden

im pretty sure if she accepts her second choice and her points go up she will be offered her first choice if she has enough points. the process can take weeks so the course will likely have already started but if she works at it can catch up

"What happens if my appeal is successful? The results of these appeals will be issued to all schools in mid-October. If your mark in one or more subjects is upgraded, the CAO will be advised. In this case, you will get the college place your new points score merits – no matter what course you may have accepted in the meantime.

However, the college may not always be in a position to allow you to start on this course in late October as you will have already missed half of the first semester, but you will be guaranteed your place on the course for the 2013-2014 academic year. This is very unsatisfactory."
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0816/1224322258543.html

Its not clearly written anywhere what happens if your points go down, possibly lose your place, Always view paper, preferably with subject teacher to see if you should recheck it or not. viewing is free and can decide to pursue/not to pursue it

http://www.examinations.ie/candidates/Result_Appeal_2011.pdf

last years info but doesnt mention what happens if go down.id say its at the discrepancy of the college

• Registered Users Posts: 11 LadyGaeilge

bdoo wrote: »
    She cannot accept no 2 and move up to no 1 if her points improve.

I don't believe that is true. If an exam recheck results in a points increase she will then be offered her first choice and can decide to change course or stay in the course she has started. But she must accept the second choice for this to happen. This process takes some time, usually around late October. She may have started the second course and realises she loves it!

I don't believe that is true. If an exam recheck results in a points increase she will then be offered her first choice and can decide to change course or stay in the course she has started. But she must accept the second choice for this to happen. This process takes some time, usually around late October. She may have started the second course and realises she loves it!

i dont think she needs to accept her second choice. she will be offered first choice if points go up regardless of whether she has accepted/not accepted her second choice. they may not offer her a place till following year though and her points could go down/stay the same. if she likes her second choice i would recommend accepting it and at least she will have that. she cant decide to accept second choice after rechecks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

I typed that post earlier on my phone - predictive text changed can to cannot.

She can accept and move up.

My point was to not bank on going up as she will be left with nothing if she doesn't get an increase and has accepted nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

i dont think she needs to accept her second choice. she will be offered first choice if points go up regardless of whether she has accepted/not accepted her second choice. they may not offer her a place till following year though and her points could go down/stay the same. if she likes her second choice i would recommend accepting it and at least she will have that. she cant decide to accept second choice after rechecks

+1

This is from the FAQ on the back of the CAO's "enquiry" form:
    4. "Will I disqualify myself from other offers if I accept / refuse this one?"
    No. Not at all. See CAO handbook page 22.

also being offered any choice will rule out anything below which is why its always important to put what you want rather than whats highest points at top

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭kkumk

Bear in mind she probably won't get rechecks back until October (that's when I got mine back) and a lot of colleges would be reluctant to take students on at that stage of the year, especially those which start in early Sept and are already 5-6 weeks into a 12 week semester.
    I was 5 points off Law & accepted Commerce hoping that I would go up and would get my 1st choice, however I was told by the University that even if I did go up points, they wouldn't offer me the place that year & I would have to wait until next year.

Bottom line is, she can definately accept the one she has been offered, and she will still be offered her 1st choice if she manages to go up in rechecks, or even if the required points drop in 2nd or 3rd round offers (which they sometimes do if the course is not filled.)
    However, I would be reluctant to advise you to tell her to accept a course she doesn't seem to really want to do, as it could end up costing a lot of money if she doesn't like it and want to leave.
    I didn't go up in rechecks and ended up dropping out of Commerce & as such I lost my entitlement to HEA free fees funding.

Advertisement