Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oddball Neighbours

• 25-08-2012 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭

I was awoken (again) by my weird neighbour at 5am turning on and off his bathroom tap at two minute intervals.This went on until about 6.30.

My guess is he"s squatting over the bath with a hose in the bunghole.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Maybe he was trying to take a p1ss!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I lived next to an old guy who would stand in the garden at all hours and beltch loudly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

I lived below a guy who liked to do DIY at 5am at random mornings. Hammers, sanders, the lot. I complaing to the management company and landlord, they contacted the psychos landlord and he stopped for a while. Then started again. I moved out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

aujopimur wrote: »
    I lived next to an old guy who would stand in the garden at all hours and beltch loudly.

Was he naked? Just trying to build up an image you understand

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I was awoken (again) by my weird neighbour at 5am turning on and off his bathroom tap at two minute intervals.This went on until about 6.30.

You must have very thin walls

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

aujopimur wrote: »

Was he naked? Just trying to build up an image you understand

Why would you even want that image in your head?!

You're coming up with that image of your neighbour... and HES the oddball ???
    :D

If you can hear your neighbours tap going on then your house/apartment was built with paper mache.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

Once I had a neighbour who would hoover his drive :confused:
    Another neighbour had plastic lining in the hall and landing of her house to protect the carpet, not only that but you had to take off your shoes to enter!
    I mean I'm all for keeping your carpet clean but... :D

Umekichi wrote: »
    Another neighbour had plastic lining in the hall and landing of her house to protect the carpet, not only that but you had to take off your shoes to enter!

we had those carpet protectors when I was a kid, horrible aul things :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Maybe it's his washing machine? If he works in a pub/club for example comes in throws his work clothes in wash and you might be hearing the water pump turo on and off as water is required for the washing machine. An hour and a half would be pretty standard time for a hot wash I think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I had an neighbour and although not exactly odd, the only time I ever saw him or talked to him was when he poked his head over the fence separating our backyards. Always wore the same hat. In fairness to the man, he gave me sagely advice on numerous occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

worse thing is sometime's shoes would be cleaner than socks or bare feet
    I like to walk around my house in my bare feet sometimes in the garden threw on a pair of flip flops and went to a house they got new carpet had to take of flip flops I was morto!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

OP.
    This is the problem for alot of people living in apartments.
    You should up size to a detached house in some leafy suburbs and have not a bother in the world as long as the developer at the time didn't allow social housing units be part of the agreement your good to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

If you can hear your neighbours tap going on then your house/apartment was built with paper mache.
    During the housing bubble most apartment buildings were constructed with cardboard, not even paper-mache!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

apartments are the worst for noise,listen i live near an airport and it is fvcking bad for anybody trying to move in and live for the first time,but its all about aclimbatising to it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

apartments are the worst for noise...but its all about aclimbatising to it..
    Especially if you live on the top floor and the lifts are broken!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Yeah,it must take forever to aclimbatise up all them steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

Yeah same in my flat, when you turn the tap on its like VRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOM, and I get up at 6am so I bet I annoy the hell out of my neighbours.

Was getting in the lift once when my neighbour came out of it, nice puddle of piss in the left hand corner, pretty sure it was him,.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

my neighbour likes to go outside every morning and hock and cough for a good 10 minutes every morning. why can't he just do it inside :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭saltyporridge

AulBiddy wrote: »
    my neighbour likes to go outside every morning and hock and cough for a good 10 minutes every morning. why can't he just do it inside :/

Mmmmh! I've one of those too - it's the thunderous spitting noises that accompany the process that gets to me :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

Maybe it's his washing machine? If he works in a pub/club for example comes in throws his work clothes in wash and you might be hearing the water pump turo on and off as water is required for the washing machine. An hour and a half would be pretty standard time for a hot wash I think?

This has to be the reason. Some people use timers on their appliances to take advantage of cheaper electricity at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

There was this old man who lived on my parents road and for years he'd only ever cut his grass at about 11 at night and it was with one of the old push lawn mores too and he used to always do it in his dressing gown!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

CavanCrew wrote: »
    Yeah same in my flat, when you turn the tap on its like VRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOM, and I get up at 6am so I bet I annoy the hell out of my neighbours.

A friend of mine lives in an apt like that. The hot tap sounds like a lawnmower.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Theres a family that lives on my road and each and every one of them is MENTAL! , the mother barks out the window like a dog, and sometimes they whole family like to play a game of kerbs out on the street whilst chanting passive aggressive things such as '' WE ARE FAIR'' whilst giving all the neighbours daggers :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Theres a family that lives on my road and each and every one of them is MENTAL! , the mother barks out the window like a dog, and sometimes they whole family like to play a game of kerbs out on the street whilst chanting passive aggressive things such as '' WE ARE FAIR'' whilst giving all the neighbours daggers :confused::confused::confused:

Now that's surreal.

Haven't any strange nneighbours...I feel left out now. Did have a neighbour who used to practise his swing by whacking golfballs from outside the front of his house into the fields behind his house and never collected the balls. But that's more laziness than weirdness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

We had a nice Bangladeshi family move in next door to us....

They were nice enough, always said 'hello' if you met them on the street. We could never figure out how many people actually lived there, but you would always see a big gang (at least 10 women) either arriving or leaving at the same time. We thought it a bit strange that they never went anywhere alone, always the big gang:confused:

There was also a constant taptaptaptaptaptap that sounded like 2 bits of metal being banged together, but we could never figure out what was causing it.

Our curiosity was finally satisfied the day they got raided for running an illegal sewing factory, complete with illegal immigrant employees from a 3 bed council house:eek:. The big group of ladies arriving/leaving at the same time was obviously the shift change-over. They all got carted off by immigration officers in a big blue mini-bus, never to be seen again......

Not oddball, but not what you'd expect in a residential street....

Also had a neighbour that used to get hammered drunk, take off his shirt and attack his wheelie bin with nun-chucks and flying karate kicks, thinking he was Bruce Lee. He'd be so drunk, he's be hitting himself in the face and his own back with the nun-chucks and not even notice. We'd see him the next day, and he'd be after giving himself 2 black eyes and not a clue where he got them lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Luckily enough, the good Lord invented Country Estates with long driveways and big trees. Unless one of the neighbours starts shooting off a cannon or fits air-horns on their roof, there's feck all chance of them doing anything to disturb me. There's a lot to be said for having a 10 acre front garden.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Pottler wrote: »
    Luckily enough, the good Lord invented Country Estates with long driveways and big trees. Unless one of the neighbours starts shooting off a cannon or fits air-horns on their roof, there's feck all chance of them doing anything to disturb me. There's a lot to be said for having a 10 acre front garden.:)

Ahh, but look at all the free entertainment you miss out on?:D

This thread reminds me of this:

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

I used to have a polish neighbour that would be out washing & hoovering his car at six in the morning every second day. In fairness he kept it spotless, but it was a bit strange how often he cleaned it. His wife used to wash the windows every day & sweep the front of the house. Nice people but freakishly clean, even by my standards & I'm fussy when it comes to a clean house.
    Then on the other side we had a raging alcoholic. Used to often call to our door asking us in for a drink...at two in the morning...on a Wednesday night, never a weekend night. He passed out a few times & his girlfriend/ wife would have to call an ambulance because he always managed to split his head open.

Now I live in the country & the nearest neighbour is a field away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I knew someone who did exactly the same thing.
    They also had a front room (the "Good Room" as they called it) in which everything was covered in plastic to protect it.
    Total waste of a room - no one was allowed into it! :confused:

I used to have a polish neighbour that would be out washing & hoovering his car at six in the morning every second day. In fairness he kept it spotless, but it was a bit strange how often he cleaned it. His wife used to wash the windows every day & sweep the front of the house. .
    I have neighbours that do the same thing.
    Overheard his missus say to her grand-daughter "you know ice cream"s not allowed in the house"wtf?
    Never saw anyone allowed in their door in 30 years.
    They"re out every day cleaning their car even during Ireland matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

Jake1 wrote: »
    You're coming up with that image of your neighbour... and HES the oddball ???
    :D

Laughed my ass at this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭icjzfmq7ewon1t

I had an neighbour and although not exactly odd, the only time I ever saw him or talked to him was when he poked his head over the fence separating our backyards. Always wore the same hat. In fairness to the man, he gave me sagely advice on numerous occasions.

Was it this guy

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-ujw2-n2OuN3LqrY82naYe5GWSyfT64gRNdJ7wmy3ih6ovgOBSQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Used to have 5/6 Chinese students living beside me, every night (4am) would be woken up by them driving their mopeds through the house out to back garden...

Don't know how we stuck it for so long, until I rang landlord and told him, he was shocked and called into them to find the carpet in hall had this tyre mark up the middle of it. They were told not to drive mopeds through house again, they moved out soon after...thank god!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭djh2009

That sounds like your man from the tv programme "Home Improvement "with Tim Allen. Did you ever see his face ?.lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Neighbours have a jack russell. :mad:

The most retarded animal ever.

It has to go. Barks for no reason at all hours. Even if I sit in my own back garden it goes nuts.

I've been given a tip to "sort the problem".

Tempting, I must say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

The weirdest thing I've noticed in a few apartments over the years is those extraction fans that they have in bathrooms with no windows. The whole system is joined up between apartments and sometimes you hear very faint and acoustically distorted sounds of people talking from other apartments. It's like a creepy dream sequence in a horror movie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Aww country living you cant beat it, nearest neighbours about 2 min walk away and i have a shotgun in the house for any unwelcome guests be they airtricity salesmen or knackers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Neighbours have a jack russell. :mad:

The most retarded animal ever.

It has to go. Barks for no reason at all hours. Even if I sit in my own back garden it goes nuts.

I've been given a tip to "sort the problem".

Tempting, I must say.

give him a bowl of antifreeze and maybe give him a few yokes jus for good measure lol :D

Aww country living you cant beat it, nearest neighbours about 2 min walk away and i have a shotgun in the house for any unwelcome guests be they airtricity salesmen or knackers.

i like your style , yeah , you cant bate livin in the country side ..

i lived in a flat about 2 years ago , 3 floors , i was in the middle.. we used to have to leave our rubbish at the end of the stairs inside the front door in a bin , landlord used take it away every morning , there was an indian family livin on the top floor and every time i used leave down the rubbish they be straight down searchin through it !!! sick :eek:
    used always see them comin up the stairs with my empty lynx cans or newspapers or half empty bottle of coke !! anything really , and they would just smile and say hello ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

djh2009 wrote: »
    That sounds like your man from the tv programme "Home Improvement "with Tim Allen. Did you ever see his face ?.lol

That is just a tv program. This guy actually existed, shheesh. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

That is just a tv program. This guy actually existed, shheesh. :rolleyes:

Mr wilson:cool:

Mr wilson:cool:

absolute legend !!

Lived next to an Elvis lookalike one time who was married to what was either a very devoted wife or a very passive doormat. She was Filipino so a lot of folks suspected a mail order number as she was way too nice for this bum.

But basically you'd see them walking home, absolutely milling down with rain, and she'd be carrying the bags of groceries in one hand while holding the umbrella over your man's head with the other. He meanwhile kept his left hand in his pocket and smoked a fag with his right. And if they were driving she'd open the door for him first and then go back to carry in all the groceries herself.

Same guy got locked out of the house one day, so he knocks on my door to ask if he can come through and climb over the back wall as his kitchen door was open. Sure I said, lead him through the house and into my yard. Told him to wait a minute and came back with the stepladder for him. He looks at it and exclaims "Jaysus how do ya work that thing!?".

More useless than weird I suppose.

Lived next to an Elvis lookalike one time who was married to what was either a very devoted wife or a very passive doormat. She was Filipino so a lot of folks suspected a mail order number as she was way too nice for this bum.

But basically you'd see them walking home, absolutely milling down with rain, and she'd be carrying the bags of groceries in one hand while holding the umbrella over your man's head with the other. He meanwhile kept his left hand in his pocket and smoked a fag with his right. And if they were driving she'd open the door for him first and then go back to carry in all the groceries herself.
    By jingo ,them Filipino bitches could teach .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I must have the loudest water pump on the planet.

It used to make a thunder like noise every every 30 seconds. Now its only every few minutes. I'd say it wrecks my neighbours heads.

I'd say my neighbours hate me...I once left a carton of milk on the counter and went away for the weekend, got back and the smell was vile. Threw it in a bag and carried it down the stairs. Of course the bag leaked all the way down the 3 flights of stairs and the smelled like rotten milk for 2 days before I got down on my hands and knees and scrubbed each step and landing. THat was months ago and the stairs still smell like chemicals :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

When doing a good auld hock, flem tends to come out, even before you spit. Also, the fresh air tends to help you hock better.

Bonus point if you annoy a neighbour :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

the_syco wrote: »
    When doing a good auld hock, flem tends to come out, even before you spit. Also, the fresh air tends to help you hock better.

Bonus point if you annoy a neighbour :P

I've lived next door to two Chinese families. I'm not being racist, or at least its not my intention and I apologise if it comes across that way. But do they do this more than anyone else?

Both families seemed to do it first thing in the morning and last thing at night. It was really strange. In cork, one guy would have his bathroom window open and would be hocking greeners for about ten minutes straight. NOw where I live, there's a Chinese family beside me and when I'm in the garden I can hear them doing it.

Is it a coincidence?

• Advertisement
Advertisement