Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive Screws

• 25-08-2012 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

Can anyone point me to where I can find 50mm drive screws? I can only find them in 75mm and 90mm. Online or in-store info would be great, I'm really stuck for them! :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Buy any size you can get and just change the screws for 2" spax. 5 x 50's. Thats what the plumbers do anyway.

Goodwins have a good stock of driva's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Buy any size you can get and just change the screws for 2" spax. 5 x 50's. Thats what the plumbers do anyway.

Goodwins have a good stock of driva's

Hi sorry I meant drive screws for roofing. I've found these so far but they're in the UK http://www.snsbp.co.uk/product/50mm-galvanised-drive-screws-special/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

Hi sorry I meant drive screws for roofing. I've found these so far but they're in the UK http://www.snsbp.co.uk/product/50mm-galvanised-drive-screws-special/

How many builders merchants have you tried? I've never had any real problem just getting them off the shelf but just realised the 2 builders merchants I know that did sell them have recently closed their doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

eirator wrote: »
    How many builders merchants have you tried? I've never had any real problem just getting them off the shelf but just realised the 2 builders merchants I know that did sell them have recently closed their doors.

Hey, I've tried a good few locally but can only find them in 75mm or 90mm, which are too long for the job!

Hey, I've tried a good few locally but can only find them in 75mm or 90mm, which are too long for the job!

Thats just typical :rolleyes: When I wanted the longest ones for a CI roof all I could get was the 50mm and 75mm ones :mad:. But in the end used self drilling roofing bolts (steel sheet to wood) and put them in with an impact driver, did a much tider job than hammering drive screws.

• Advertisement

One tip with the self drilling bolts is to get a centre punch and give it a hard wack to mark the CI before starting the bolts off. It helps start the cutting action of the bolts quicker and stops them wandering of the hieght point of the CI ridges where you should be putting the bolts. The bolts I used were for roofing and had steel washers with rubber sealing washers built in. I was using the heavier grade CI and perhaps if you are using the cheaper thinner grade you don't need to be so hard on it with the centre punch.

Advertisement