Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone repeating Ag Science?

• 25-08-2012 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Does this mean they can get my project back for me? Certainly would take the pain out of Ag science any way :D

Any one in a similar situation?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You cannot re-submit previously-assessed work to the SEC. It will have been pulped by now if it was sent to Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭CatEyed92

spurious wrote: »
    You cannot re-submit previously-assessed work to the SEC. It will have been pulped by now if it was sent to Athlone.

Oh god.... :( Not my heifers! :confused: Quite confused about what they meant now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

crayon1 wrote: »
    I repeated it last year! The Ag Science project is not sent away like the Geography/Home Ec etc. so its still in your school and you do eventually get it back. You can resubmit the same one or you can take it and change it if you like!

The teacher signing off on it is committing fraud.

The SEC read boards you know. You wouldn't need to be a genius to work out what centre this is that is allowing people to try and fiddle the system.

Disgraceful. There was a time when education meant something and it wasn't all about passing exams with the least amount of work in the shortest amount of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

this can be done its only it must be only relevant to ag science this was allowed in my repeat school as well which always done things by the book!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭crayon1

Sorry I'll delete the post if you like. When the teacher contacted the SEC thats what they were told. Other schools i know get their ag science project back.

• Advertisement

Sorry I'll delete the post if you like. When the teacher contacted the SEC thats what they were told. Other schools i know get their ag science project back.

Why should someone sitting the exam in one school have to spend time doing a project when someone in another school can just hand up one they (or possibly someone else, who knows?) did last year or ten years ago?

The point of the exam system is that it's supposed to be the same conditions for everyone.

I would be seriously p*ssed if I missed a grade in Ag. Science and was beaten to a place in my desired course by someone who didn't spend time doing their project like I had to.

Why should someone sitting the exam in one school have to spend time doing a project when someone in another school can just hand up one they (or possibly someone else, who knows?) did last year or ten years ago?

The point of the exam system is that it's supposed to be the same conditions for everyone.

I know its unfair and i couldnt believe it! I dont know does it apply in other repeat schools but it applied to mine

That's really terrible if that goes on.

Do you get the same mark for the project that is resubmitted?

I can understand allowing changed or adapted projects to be submitted as you could take a new tack on your topic, but the exact same one? I'm amazed.

That's really terrible if that goes on.

Do you get the same mark for the project that is resubmitted?

I can understand allowing changed or adapted projects to be submitted as you could take a new tack on your topic, but the exact same one? I'm amazed.

Its definetely like this for years because the school i think the op is going to is running a long time so i dont think its fraud. They've printed it on letters so i dont think they be that stupid.

I'm not sure how it works but i assume its recorrected by the new teacher, if their can keep there old result it be a disgrace tbh.

I dunno. I don't mind doing it again anyway.

• Advertisement

CatEyed92 wrote: »
    I dunno. I don't mind doing it again anyway.

ah id keep my old one if you got a good grade last year:)

its only fraud if its history/geography and others:)

Sunny!! wrote: »
    ah id keep my old one if you got a good grade last year:)

its only fraud if its history/geography and others:)

Access to all subjects should be the same though, so I can see that changing once attention is drawn to it.

Why should I have to repeat my essay or project for History or Geography when the Ag. Science people don't have to?
    It's about the integrity of the examination process and it has to be applied equally, regardless of subject.

Lads, I'm thinking they probably mean photos of the farm and quotes ya gather from yer own farmer not the whole bloomin thing like :eek:.

Wouldn't it be a dream if you could resubmit all projects but ya can't :rolleyes:

Lads, I'm thinking they probably mean photos of the farm and quotes ya gather from yer own farmer not the whole bloomin thing like :eek:.

Wouldn't it be a dream if you could resubmit all projects but ya can't :rolleyes:

Ah, now that's very different.

it is the whole thing :L i know loads who done that last year when they repeated

Access to all subjects should be the same though, so I can see that changing once attention is drawn to it.

Why should I have to repeat my essay or project for History or Geography when the Ag. Science people don't have to?
    It's about the integrity of the examination process and it has to be applied equally, regardless of subject.

oh i totally agree, i dropped out of ag science for this reason. It gives past students such an advantage and the project is huge imo.

I dont know why ag science is being treated different to others.

Sunny!! wrote: »
    oh i totally agree, i dropped out of ag science for this reason. .

But the Barley is sooooooo interesting? :eek:

Ah, As long as I have my photo's of my calves (n'aww) I don't care

But the Barley is sooooooo interesting? :eek:

Ah, As long as I have my photo's of my calves (n'aww) I don't care

oh i had no interest, but i could be wrong to, but i remember asking a good few people 7 or 8 during the year how their ag science project was going and they said i've mine done since last year!

Of course you can do another one if you think you can get better marks:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭crayon1

I agree I think it is an unfair advantage to be able to resubmit the same project, but it is allowed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

I agree I think it is an unfair advantage to be able to resubmit the same project, but it is allowed!

I put a lot of work into my Geography project and now if I repeat I have to do it all over again, obviously I won't risk re submitting the same project as I don't want to get in trouble. I think it's pretty unfair that all that work I did counts for nothing.

• Advertisement

Did some research and SEC have it in the practical booklet.

Bit unfair other subjects can't resubmit their projects :( Honestly, everyone should be aloud.
    There is alot of work involved in Ag science though. 2 projects and 1 map.. with trips to different farms like. But I suppose you could say that for Home Ec and others.

http://www.examinations.ie/secmain/2011_candidiate_info_booklet.pdf

No fraud going on :rolleyes: ^^

Fair enough, thanks for the references.

It is inherently unfair though in an exam system, which is, for all its faults, generally fair. I can't understand how they can't stick to one rule for all subjects.

This makes a high grade in one subject 'better' (harder to get) than another and thus makes a joke of the points system. If you get extra for Higher Maths, you should get less for subjects with recycled projects.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

I dont understand what all this is about?
    I put massive effort into my project when i did it the first time, I got the full 25%, I know theres no guarantees of getting the same result again but i just happened to, It's still my own work regardless of how many times it was handed in!

pajero12 wrote: »
    I dont understand what all this is about?
    I put massive effort into my project when i did it the first time, I got the full 25%, I know theres no guarantees of getting the same result again but i just happened to, It's still my own work regardless of how many times it was handed in!

Do you not see if you were repeating the subject, not having to do the project would make the whole process easier for you than someone doing the subject for the first time? That's the problem and it seems to be unique to Ag. Science. If you re-sit Geography/History/Art/Home Ec. etc., you can't re-use your project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭aarond280

why should ya have to the same project twice, you shouldnt have to start again especially after putting work into it and typing it out and getting photos etc

aarond280 wrote: »
    why should ya have to the same project twice, you shouldnt have to start again especially after putting work into it and typing it out and getting photos etc

Why don't they give you the same exam paper too?

Why don't they give you the same exam paper too?

Exactly, well look at it this way youve already put the work into it went out to the farm took pictures talked to the farmer all of that and you have to that all again when you have it done thats just stupid, i cant see the point in this argument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭shinesun

I think it is because people who choose to repeat Geog and Home Ec have to do their project again. Yet the Ag Science ppl can use their project that they done previously. This gives them a huge advantage as they have more time to study Ag Science should they choose to do so.
    The three subjects should have the same system in my opinion.

I am repeating and was looking to do Ag Science everywhere. I ccould not find anywhere do it but I'm glad I'm not now!

shinesun wrote: »
    I think it is because people who choose to repeat Geog and Home Ec have to do their project again. Yet the Ag Science ppl can use their project that they done previously. This gives them a huge advantage as they have more time to study Ag Science should they choose to do so.
    The three subjects should have the same system in my opinion.

I am repeating and was looking to do Ag Science everywhere. I ccould not find anywhere do it but I'm glad I'm not now!

is there as much to be done in the other two i.e. go to the farm take pictures and that ?

• Advertisement

aarond280 wrote: »
    is there as much to be done in the other two i.e. go to the farm take pictures and that ?

As far as I remember, you do two cereals(someone correct me if I am wrong) and then two cow businesses - beef and dairy. Plus farm plans.
    It depends on the farm. You might get lucky enough to go to one farm and have it all. I personally ended up in 3 farms and had to interview all farmers :eek:
    Very time consuming tbh. Yup, photos, interviews, maps of the farm, tours etc!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement