Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone repeating Ag Science?

2»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

spurious wrote: »
    Why don't they give you the same exam paper too?
    Dont be ridiculous, The project and paper are in no way comparable, the projects content doesn't change, the exam papers does !

And the projects layout is 2 crops i.e Grass and Barley, and an animal production, As well as an Introduction, Farm Plan and a section on farm safety!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

pajero12 wrote: »
    Dont be ridiculous, The project and paper are in no way comparable, the projects content doesn't change, the exam papers does !

And the projects layout is 2 crops i.e Grass and Barley, and an animal production, As well as an Introduction, Farm Plan and a section on farm safety!

Thanks for that - so, it's hardly an extensive project.

<Whoosh!!>

All asked and answered anyway, so I'll lock this while the SEC look at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

spurious wrote: »
    Thanks for that - so, it's hardly an extensive project.
    Um ... they can be fairly substantial all right, spurious. This is a brief outline of what is required.

I've heard of projects being well over the 100 pages mark, though that's probably the extreme (and would include photos etc).

I might pop a PM to rbt actually; I'm sure she knows why it's treated differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Yep, been talking to a couple of people there, and tbh my own guess as to reasons (which I was reluctant to share in case I was way off! :D) seems to be pretty near the mark.

Unlike others, the AgSci project is a pretty set format which doesn't vary from year to year. It's a pretty substantial piece of work actually, especially for those who give it their best (and many do, and reap the rewards both in marks and, more importantly in my view, in actual learning). However, being forced to re-do it probably wouldn't result in much additional learning for the student, something which is different for most projects / subjects imo.

Also, it would probably lead to terrible confusion for students, teachers and examiners. "How much should the student be changing? .... how much CAN they change? ... at what point have they said the same thing in different ways sufficiently to be adjudged to have re-submitted a different project?" Tbh, I could see it being a nightmare to judge and leading to serious *internal* inconsistencies in the marking of the subject as it now stands.

Mind you, the AgSci curriculum hasn't been updated in a number of years, so this may be something for them to look at when they do get around to it. I do agree that on the face of it it appears inconsistent when taken against the norm for other subjects. I can also see how insisting on students re-doing it when they already have submitted an excellent project the year before would be both wasteful of their time and lead to real headaches for all concerned though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement