Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steve Vai - Vicar St 4/12/12

Options
  • 25-08-2012 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭

Havn't seen this posted yet. Steve Vai is playing vicar st. in December, tickets are €41.

Thinking of going to this, although wouldn't be buying a ticket till much closer to date if I do, they're a bit on the pricey side for me. I prefer Paul Gilbert and Joe Satriani personally and the former is always a lot cheaper but if I have enough disposable income at the time I may well pick up a ticket!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Ticket bought, should be an excellent night! Any other Boardsies going to this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I'll be attending but looking for a seating ticket which there is none available on the old reliable ticketmaster

Anyone know of even one (ideally two) seating tickets for sale/spare it would be greatly appreciated if you could please let me know!

It appears seating tickets sold out quite awhile ago.

Wonder who the support act is as Beverley McClellan wont be there.

Yep they did I got lazy on getting ticks for it this time round... had the evo experience twice before which was lovely but happy to sit this time round! I'll wait till the day on ticks if I can't get anything in between and end up at the back balcony standing :pac:

As for the support I don't think there is one unless Dave Weiner does a few numbers.. He opened for some gigs on the tour so far

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Saw him in vicar st years back, thought i had a high tolerance for wankology, i was wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Halloran springs

As talented a guitarist as he is (and I'm actually a fan), his gigs are useless, it's like the opposite of fun. 1000 people sitting/standing perfectly still staring at someone play guitar for 2 hours. Try to dance or make any kind of slight movement and the people around you are disgusted.

Wankology, lol! It's not half as wanky as a Malmsteen gig!

Now a Paul Gilbert gig would be excellent....

Is the Evo worth the expense? It's €250, ticket not included!

I know what you fellers mean, some people get it more than others but it does be a good show as far as virtuoso stuff goes he puts on the best of them

I was at the evo things a fewtimes over the years... I think it was 180 initially then went up the last few times...

The few times that I done it, yeah was pretty cool. I've seen Vai, Satch, PG and Yngwie and met them a tonne of times in diff countries... But Vai probably puts on the best shows of 'em all

Frank is going to be the highlight song for me probably, Love to hear that one live and WAP

Set List:

Intro

Racing The World

Velorum

Band Intros

Building the Church

Tender Surender

Gravity Storm

Dave solo

Wiping China

Answers

The Moon and I

Animal

Whispering a Prayer

Audience is Listening

Deborah solo

Rescue Me/Sisters/Treasure Island with the Beast (acoustic set, except the drums)

Salamanders

Pusa Road

Drum Solo

The Ultra Zone

Frank

Build me a song (audience participation)

For The Love Of God

Encore:

Taurus Bulba

8194160242_c9b88f0387.jpg

My ticket master reminder says there is no support act.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭andy1249

I was at this gig last night.
    It was like a parody of spinal tap, without the humour.
    The "electric harpist" was embarrassingly over the top, the panto scene with the drummer wearing a "strap on" was like the worst of seventies British humour..and when he came out dressed as a robot I left!

Definitely an experience only to be described in a therapists using dolls...

Hopefully my psyche wii repress this harrowing experience soon and I,ll deny it ever happened.

• Advertisement

Thought the show was excellent... got some nice seats on the balcony and enjoyed the crap outa it with some beers. I've done the front row stuff before so chilled at this and had a few laughs

Was nice to break the show up with a mix of songs, an acoustic set and random stuff rather than everyone standing for 3 hours looking at guitar wizardry

Excellent show :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 44 deadmanshand08

andy1249 wrote: »
    The "electric harpist" was embarrassingly over the top, the panto scene with the drummer wearing a "strap on" was like the worst of seventies British humour..and when he came out dressed as a robot I left!

Hopefully my psyche wii repress this harrowing experience soon and I,ll deny it ever happened.

totally agree ! an what was with him telling us about a dream he had once... very cheesy indeed! The waffling was overpowering to say the least.. He was amazing tho an played great but id much prefer a paul gilbert gig any day of the week.. The metal suit and lasers was hilarious !

I thought it was excellent, and three hours was a decent run time also. Vai seemed to enjoy the gig and the mention at the end of it being Frank Zappas anniversary was a nice touch I thought.
    I agree its a bit theatrical but that's the nature of the beast.
    Poor old Pádraigín Ní Uallacháin looked a little out of her depth standing in front of a few hundred shred heads singing a lullaby. A pretty unique experience I think, for people on both sides of the stage!
    Funny too was Jeremy Coulson sneaking fags behind the drum riser throughout the gig...
    The bassist was a monster player, but the harpist really seemed redundant, couldn't hear any of it apart from the few solo bits, and she was way over the top with her face pulling and general stage presence.
    Also i reckon Thomas Nordegg has the hardest job on the stage constantly tuning up Vai's guitars!
    All in all a great night, well worth the €40 ticket, I will go again!

Yeah the Frank thing was a nice touch

I remember in '05 same venue with Eric Sardinas opening for Steve

Steve's cable comes out of the guitar for FTLOG then Nordegg runs out to his aid and knocks Sardinas amp over was friggin' hilarious

Spoke to Thomas one time, he's a nice fella

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

andy1249 wrote: »

Great review :D

Please go to more terrible gigs soon, and report back!

-=al=- wrote: »
    Yeah the Frank thing was a nice touch

I remember in '05 same venue with Eric Sardinas opening for Steve

Steve's cable comes out of the guitar for FTLOG then Nordegg runs out to his aid and knocks Sardinas amp over was friggin' hilarious

Spoke to Thomas one time, he's a nice fella

I think Nordegg was Zappas tech guy also.
    I see Vai had another white Jem alongside Flo and Evo the last night called something like xantiu or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I think Nordegg was Zappas tech guy also.
    I see Vai had another white Jem alongside Flo and Evo the last night called something like xantiu or something.

Thomas Nordegg was Frank and Dweezil Zappa's guitar tech for many years.

Advertisement