Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletes foot - how to get rid of it

Options
  • 25-08-2012 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

I joined a gym two months ago and tbh, the changing rooms were not kept very clean, particulalry the floors and showers. in the past two weeks, an itching sensation on my right foot has become intense. On close examination, it looks like I've picked up a fungal infection, presumably from the gym as I don't walk around bare foot any where else. The itching is getting worse by the day and it appears to be spreading. Is there any over the counter treatment I can get that will work? I don't want to give the GP €50 if I can avoid it.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

most pharmacies have the stuff

get a pair of €2 flip flops from penneys

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

Ask for Lamasil cream in the Pharmacy, and make sure you use it for the full recommended time on the instructions (even if your symptoms have subsided). Treatment takes between 1 - 2 weeks depending on the type of fungus. Also, try to find a high % cotton socks, change regularly. Try to go without shoes whenever you're at home. As previous poster said, get couple pairs cheap flip flops for around the house and gym as fungal infections are very contagious. If your feet tend to be sweaty all the time, some people use a foot power like Pedamed or Mycil to shake into their socks every day.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

As mentioned over the counter remedies work well for this. Treat your shoes as well with the powder though or you may reinfect your feet. Dry your feet well after washing, particularly between the toes. Rotate the shoes you wear so youre not putting your feet back into damp shoes all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭The Davestator

boogle wrote: »
    Ask for Lamasil cream in the Pharmacy, and make sure you use it for the full recommended time on the instructions (even if your symptoms have subsided). Treatment takes between 1 - 2 weeks depending on the type of fungus. Also, try to find a high % cotton socks, change regularly. Try to go without shoes whenever you're at home. As previous poster said, get couple pairs cheap flip flops for around the house and gym as fungal infections are very contagious. If your feet tend to be sweaty all the time, some people use a foot power like Pedamed or Mycil to shake into their socks every day.

You can also get the Lamasil once - you only use it once so no need to remember to use it for a week or two! Bit more expensive but worked magic for me and no return 6 months later

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

You can also get athlete's foot inbetween your fingers too. The best way to prevent it, is to properly dry your whole feet (especially inbetween the toes) before putting socks on, and/or thoroughly dry your hands after washing them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Thanks to all. I'll try the Lamacil as suggested. I know I should have used flip flops and so will get a pair of these too.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Firegaurd

I got athletes foot a couple of years back and tried lamisil to shift it but it didnt work. It was really difficult but one day i got chatting with a pharmacist i know and he told me try canestan plus. Its used for trush but will also kill athletes foot and is way stronger than lamisil. Both fungal infections apparently.
    I used it for a week and it cleared what seemed to be impossible athletes foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Hailhail1967

Its not typically from an unclean floor, if it is athletes foot.

I get it quite often myself. I usually get away with the scholl spray for it. I find, drying your feet very well and letting them get air as much as possiblle helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Hailhail1967

Its not typically from an unclean floor, if it is athletes foot.

I get it quite often myself. I usually get away with the scholl spray for it. I find, drying your feet very well and letting them get air as much as possiblle helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 LeonKyr

Hey guys, sorry for resurrecting the subject, but I wanted to share that I used yoffee clear to treat the fungus. Very cool staff that it removed the itching for me nearly straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 JamesRussel

Bit late but....urine cures athletes food. Preferably your own, unless you're into using others :0

Learned it from a hippie teacher i had in secondary (inb4 pedo jokes). But it seriously does work, so dont waste money in a pharmacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 LeonKyr

Bit late but....urine cures athletes food. Preferably your own, unless you're into using others :0

Learned it from a hippie teacher i had in secondary (inb4 pedo jokes). But it seriously does work, so dont waste money in a pharmacy.

Really :) nice.. hopefully I won't have a chance to try it on myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hoopyhoopy

I see this thread is pretty dead but wanted to share my fix which has completely resolved issue long term....

For a decade at least, I was ravished with athletes foot, it would clear and come back every few weeks constantly, no matter what i tried and how much money I spent on it - Literally could not clear it for good.....

Randomly - Someone told me VICKS (yes the vapo rub!) works wonders on it - Sure enough after 3 days of rubbing vicks into it - It completely cleared....

The same person also advised to stop drinking tap water with floride/chlorine... so I bought a water filter around the same time...

I am unsure whether it was the vicks or the water filter lol but for the past 8 months I am completely clear of athletes foot, which is astonishing as it was a continuous cycle for me for 10+ years......

Anywho - Wanted to share this in hope it may help someone else who struggles with it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

i'd say its the Vicks, I havnt checked but cider vinegar tends to be good for these kind of things

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Will give the vicks a go this weekend and see. Hopefully it works

Advertisement