Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your First McDonalds Experience

• 25-08-2012 2:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

I would not touch this crap now, but I recall the first McDonalds on Grafton Street - it was all very upper middle class. I can recall looking in the window at the rich families and their fine dining.

This may be because of the LSD - but I think their chairs and signage was green too?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

The song about the farm.....'Old Mc Donald had a farm etc.......'

I was about three or four years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I was lovin it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I remember sitting in the kings chair at the birthday table in the one in blanchardstown :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

Wasn't the first Irish one in O'Connell Street? I vaguely remember going there with my mam for a special treat as a nipper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Got a great kick out of the auto hand washer/dryer. State of the art Star Trek shít.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

I can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning, nevermind McDonald's 15+ years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

Twas the drive through in nutgrove. I had passed a speech and drama exam... McDonalds was a humongous treat, only brought there as a reward for something like doing well in a test or some such.

Its a bit different for kids these days.

We also got to go when my country cousins came to visit, they thought all their heavens had come together. Still no mcdonalds where they are from....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

There was the Irish rival Burgerland on O'Connell Street. Or Sackville Street if you ate at the first McDonalds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Never been inside one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Had a filet o fish, thought it was the best thing ever. I've changed since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

Slipped on ketchup and cried.
    Got a balloon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

The first time i saw Trevor read the news, i was like go bro! Black power!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Kelly I believe her name was...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

i don't understand this attitude to McDonalds and why it's acceptable to look down on those who choose to eat there. It seems to be a badge of honour to not eat junk food as if it's something the 'lower classes' do, yet chances are the same person will go out and get drunk every other weekend or smoke etc.

Fair enough don't eat there, but the snobbery is a bit much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

oh!the happy meal and the childrens obstacle course..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

My first memory of McDonald's was when they hired me to infiltrate a message board and start a nostalgia thread about their services and products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

juan.kerr wrote: »
    i don't understand this attitude to McDonalds and why it's acceptable to look down on those who choose to eat there. It seems to be a badge of honour to not eat junk food as if it's something the 'lower classes' do, yet chances are the same person will go out and get drunk every other weekend or smoke etc.

It could have as much to do with the fact it's pretty **** tasting junk food. If your gonna eat crap, there's much better crap to be had!

floggg wrote: »
    It could have as much to do with the fact it's pretty **** tasting junk food. If your gonna eat crap, there's much better crap to be had!

So you think the thousands who eat there each day would say it tastes crap? You'd think they'd try something else unless they like crap tasting food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I remember eating it so fast (every time I went) that I got a pain in my stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

**** tasting junk food that the vast majority think is delicious.

I think it's you who has the **** taste, to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I would not touch this crap now, but I recall the first McDonalds on Grafton Street - it was all very upper middle class. I can recall looking in the window at the rich families and their fine dining.

This may be because of the LSD - but I think their chairs and signage was green too?

Wouldn't touch McDonalds, but took LSD. Sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

EnterNow wrote: »
    Wouldn't touch McDonalds, but took LSD. Sound.

Way better craic on LSD to be honest.

Also it doesn't give me the sh*ts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

I remember a grand opening Ronald came in by helicopter and did a magic show and we all ate hot fudge sundaes until we were nearly sick. Hamburglar and Mayor Mac Cheese were there Took pictures and was fun. Free stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I can't remember, but I remember my last 'cause I got 10 chicken nuggets in a box of 9 so it was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

your not an 80's child if you dont remember king burger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

**** tasting junk food that the vast majority think is delicious.

I think it's you who has the **** taste, to be honest.

Nope. they do. Burgerking is soo much better. Flame grilled att the way dude :)

I remember being in the McDonalds on O'Connell St years ago. It was probably 30 years ago now. We went up to Dublin for the day and I badgered my parents into going in there os I could get the meal that came with a free McDonalds ruler (and maybe a pencil case too).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

EZ24GET wrote: »
    I remember a grand opening Ronald came in by helicopter and did a magic show and we all ate hot fudge sundaes until we were nearly sick. Hamburglar and Mayor Mac Cheese were there Took pictures and was fun. Free stuff.

I was in Temple St and he came to visit the kids.

Novella wrote: »
    I can't remember, but I remember my last 'cause I got 10 chicken nuggets in a box of 9 so it was great.

The extra one wasn't a chicken head, was it? (That might have been KFC actually).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

thats just the boards attitude, have to post about how youre better than everyone else in society!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

It was the McDonalds near the long mile road in dublin. I think thats where it is, im not from dublin but its beside a woodies anyway. I was pretty young, got some mcnuggets. Havent stopped eating them since and yes i know what goes into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I remember the little toys from the happy meals, just had to collect them all.... tis a pity they don't do them any more, wonder why that is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I will raise that.

They will be a proud of not eating mcdonnalds and shout about like an iPhone owner to everyone.
    Then they will go to nearest chipper and get curry chips with cheese and a few battered sausages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Remember Mc Donalds in O'Connell st,it was their First birthday being there,so they had a massive cake giving out free slices

kept going back for seconds of free cake till I burst or puked,cant remember which came first..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Dont remember the first time.

Anyone I know complains of being hungry 30 mins after eating there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭The Idyll Race

Grafton Street was definitely the first. Went there with my Canadian cousins when I was twelve in 1978 for the first time. Was really curious as to what Rootbeer was, one of the Canadians had one and didn't fancy it as it smelled remarkably similar to Germolene. At that point it was hamburgers, cheese burgers, quarter pounders, Big Mac and the filet-o-fish on the menu. No chicken and definitely no salad, all coming in polystyrene containers. Plenty of CFCs in those days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

I remember the little toys from the happy meals, just had to collect them all.... tis a pity they don't do them any more, wonder why that is?

We still get happy meals with toys. Maybe your government has decreed that trying to induce children to eat junk food and outlawed them for your own protection?. I often get the dog a happy meal he loves the chicken nuggets and I take the toy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

First time I had McDonalds was in Melbourne in 1974.

I was delighted when Ireland's first McDonalds opened in Grafton Street in 1976.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Dont remember the first time.

Anyone I know complains of being hungry 30 mins after eating there

The same thing happens to me but it doesn't make sense. I don't like judging food purely by calorie content but with the amount of calories your average Big Mac meal contains it should provide you with enough energy with at least half a day if not more as an average human.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

My first MacDollars experience was about 10 years after my first Supermac's experience !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

:confused: Food taste is about as subjective as it gets. Can't believe anyone would disagree with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

sea_monkey wrote: »
    thats just the boards attitude, have to post about how youre better than everyone else in society!

I'm better than you. Just FYI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I was a late comer to Macx I think I was in my teens, I don't knock the macx experience, it a decent snack and has enough salt to ease my drunken cravings.

But I made a profound life changing discovery today. I heard about this place from a friend months ago and today I just happen to be walking by at the Pavilion in Swords while starving.

So in I went sat down and ordered a burger and fries. I got an all homemade treat which was absolutely gorgeous. 11 euro was a bit pricey but well worth it for the odd treat. I shall return to Gourmet Burger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I first ate in the one in O'Connell street some time back in the early 90's when there wouldn't have been many McDonald's outside of Dublin. Even at the age of 8 I knew their chips were rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

If i wanted cardboard id go to the recycle center because that's what the muck
    is! brain washing cardboard.. And don't tell me any different!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I worked on the setting up on the first one on Winthrop St in Cork.
    I got invites for the shakedown one Sunday, I brought my own kids and a load of nephews and nieces, I've never seen kids get through some much food as on that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

Wont go near any macdonalds or burger king and the ****e food they are selling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭Archeron

I remember as a kid in the one in bluebell, I slipped on some spilled milkshake and landed with an unholy thump on my arsebone. Started crying and went back to sit beside mum. A concerned girl that worked there came over to see if I was okay and if I would like a coke. She came back a few minutes later with the coke and asked for the money for it.
    That always sticks in my memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Can't remember, hardly a particularly memorable experience anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

patwicklow wrote: »
    If i wanted cardboard id go to the recycle center because that's what the muck
    is! brain washing cardboard.. And don't tell me any different!

The recycling centres burgers uses cheap ketchup. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I think the double quarter pounder with cheese is pretty good in McDonalds.

My first experience was the day the first McDonalds in Galway opened. I was born in America. My mother is American, my dad is Irish. We moved to Westport, Co. Mayo when I was a baby. My mother had some culture shock moving from New York City to Mayo in the 80's.

Anyways the McDonalds opened at 9am it's first day, she had us stood outside the door at 7am waiting for it to open.

I'm working in America at the moment. McDonalds use to taste the same all over the world but now it tastes awful here. They had to change the oil they use for cooking the food in and it's not the same anymore. I think in Ireland, McDonalds has actually improved on how it use to be. The quality of beef in the quarter pounders is much better

• Advertisement
Advertisement