Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your First McDonalds Experience

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

patwicklow wrote: »
    If i wanted cardboard id go to the recycle center because that's what the muck is! brain washing cardboard.. And don't tell me any different!

Ah Pat, that's not very nice :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I remember burgerland on Baggot Street when I was abotu 8 or 9. Saturdy morning treat on the way to Gran's. Lovely.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

anyone remember the notorious metro burger on hawkins street in south dublin city centre?
    god that place was bad
    the sign is still there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I remember going to the one on Grafton st, not sure when maybe 1977 was take by a neighbor would not be the sort of place my mother would have taken to us. I think McD is grand and the McD cafés are very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

All the cool kids in school used to go to MacDs.
    My Dad used to insists on taking us to Mandy's in Cork,,,,,,,,,,,,,the shame can still hear the slagging 20yrs or so later:o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

I remember thinking to myself Ya dirty ol gurkin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

patwicklow wrote: »
    If i wanted cardboard id go to the recycle center because that's what the muck
    is! brain washing cardboard.. And don't tell me any different!

You must have been the first name on the brithday party invite lists when you were a kid!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

McDonalds are only blow ins around here, now if you'd asked me about the first time I was in Supermacs I couldn't tell you, I don't remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

I remember sitting in the kings chair at the birthday table in the one in blanchardstown :cool:

I remember sitting on the 'Throne' for several hours after my last Mc Donalds experience.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

I don't know what age I was, but I was very young, and we were abroad on holiday. I remember going into the McDonalds and wanting a Happy Meal for the toy. But before I had a chance to ask for it, my Da came down with Big Mac meals for the whole family, I was in tears.

I've hated Big Macs ever since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Mandy's - now there was a place!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

They will be a proud of not eating mcdonnalds and shout about like an iPhone owner to everyone.

Brilliant. :D

And like all brilliant statements - so true !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I remember it was in nutgrove, and there was a really cool seating area for kids down the back. Now its all fancy and no fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

kincsem wrote: »
    Never been inside one.

The question wasn't "were you ever inside a mcdonalds"
    Presumably your mate bought you this one:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62456831&postcount=119

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

I remember going to the opening of a McDonalds in the town I grew up in in England, 1987 I think it was. I remember people were queueing for about 20-30 metres down the road, and that Ronald McDonald gave me a balloon, and a voucher for a free drink:p

When me and my brothers were young, if my Mam said we were allowed to go to McDonalds, we would be jumping up and down with excitement... It was always a special treat and we only went maybe 3 or 4 times a year!

Is it just me, or was McDonalds very expensive back then, compared to normal cafe (like a place you'd get pie + chips/shepherds pie/lasagne etc.) Now, it's just about the cheapest place to get takeaway food ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

First time I ate in McDonalds was Grafton St 1981.

Good quiz question - what was the first fast food chain to come to Ireland?

Answer - Kentucky Fried Chicken, Phibsborough Shopping Centre, 1971.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭The Idyll Race

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

Which, before the end of the 1970's mutated into the appaling "Pat Grace's Famous Fried Chicken", and no, they didn't have the potato. Or the gravy.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

I remember going to the one in Stillorgan after school on the odd Friday when my mom managed to get a half day when I was little. We used to go there with birthday parties too and had a massive ship upstairs which they only took away in recent years, I can't believe they did it because it was so cool back then!

I wouldn't eat the food there now however I have to say they do do the best coffee around Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭The Idyll Race

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

Wimpy's certainly existed in Ireland at the end of the 1960s but like Pat Grace's Place, mutated into poor imitations without the branding before the end of the 70s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

mauzo wrote: »
    I remember it was in nutgrove, and there was a really cool seating area for kids down the back. Now its all fancy and no fun.

its still there. a load of brats woke my son last week when they were partying there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

your not an 80's child if you dont remember king burger

Stoopp! He's already dead :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

I remember when McDonalds first opened in Drogheda, my mother brought me and my mate to get some food. A group of scumbags started a food fight. I ended up with a chocolate sundae in the ear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Can't remember the very first, only 19 so it's been there pretty much since I was small. :rolleyes: but it was the one in Santry we went to some occasions, nothing special... xD

I remember having my birthday party in the play area in the Artane Castle McDonalds, that was some fun. :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

People in this thread make me feel very young. :pac: First time I went to McDonald's was somewhere around 2005. Not a fan. That said, when I'm drunk, I think twisty fries are the best food in the world. I also think ugly men are attractive at that point though. :pac:

Also, I loved King Burger. Used to go with the mother and sisters as a treat when I was a wee one, and myself and the big sister would have a contest to see how many chips we could stuff into our burger bun without any spilling out, then we'd take a big bite, a big gulp of whatever fizzy drink we were having, swirl everything around in our mouths, and chew.

Good times.

Now, having worked in Supermac's for 2 years, I wouldn't touch fast food unless I was drunk. Nothing against it, but working in a kitchen, the smell of the grease makes you turn off that stuff forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I've never had a McDonalds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

A burger in the McDonalds across from the Omniplex cinema in Galway.

It had gherkins it it. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I think I was about 7/8 when they 1st opened in Waterford so about then.
    Marketing had me convinced that I wanted a Big Mac. All I wanted was a Big Mac.
    I hated pretty much everything on the big mac so I was very disappointed :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I was but a young lad with whatever little bit of pocket money I used to get as a kid - was away at something with the primary school so everyone was let go to McDonalds on the way home and this being my first time in McDonalds didn't want to get something that I wouldn't like so just asked for a plain hamburger with nothing at all on it. (I will point out that I grew up eating home made burgers so was expecting this hamburger to trump my mothers efforts as literally everyone in my school seemed to have had McDonalds on regular occasions before I ever set foot in one and they all said McDonalds food was brilliant and really nice)

The bastards gave me gherkins despite me asking for plain - even today I struggle to eat them never mind me as a young lad, physically couldn't eat it - even after taking the gherkins out it was still rotten to eat. That dry cardboardy taste mingled with the taste of gherkins because even after taking them out you still get the taste of them. Just terrible so it was. I dont' think I was even able to finish it off. What a waste of a week's pocket money that was.

Still hate McDonalds food today - never grew on me at any stage of my life and the only time I'll go to one today is if my mates want to go and even then I'll generally just end up getting a McFlurry. I will give that McFlurrys are nice but in fairness it'd be hard for even McDonalds to make a balls of ice cream.

Home made burgers FTW!! and the best thing about them - when you eat one your actually full and feel full for ages rather than the McDonalds style of having you bloody starving half an hour later

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭lynp27

[QUOTE=johnmcdnl;

Home made burgers FTW!! and the best thing about them - when you eat one your actually full and feel full for ages rather than the McDonalds style of having you bloody starving half an hour later[/QUOTE]
    took the daughter to the cinema and promised i'd take her to mcdonalds after. so off we wnt and got the food( she barely will ever eat a whole burger and chips). she was still hungry after the second burger and chips so were we so we left and went to a proper chipper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

food snobs itt

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I thought Phibsboro was the 1st one here?
    I remember going there on the way back from school tours in primary school and some of the rich kids having birthday parties there:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

I've never had a McDonalds.

I've never bought a banana

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The earliest I remember is going to the one in Dublin. Someone came in dressed as Ronald, jumping round, getting in kids faces, laughing madly. Freaked out so much that I developed a massive fear of clowns for years. I still get the creeps around them :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

its still there. a load of brats woke my son last week when they were partying there

Oh really?? I havent been there in years, but just after it was done up I dont remember it. Went all fancy and lost the coolness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

...two all beef patties special sauce lettuce cheese pickles onion on a sesame seed bun... Think the commercials are even lacking these days.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    You must have been the first name on the brithday party invite lists when you were a kid!

The other kids must have loved the vegan sh*** his mother prepared.

Cienciano wrote: »
    The question wasn't "were you ever inside a mcdonalds"
    Presumably your mate bought you this one:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62456831&postcount=119

:D Caught red handed. Why would someone lie about something so inconsequential I wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

On my first visit there as a kid with my two older sisters our mother mortified us by asking for plates of chips and enquired as to where the knives and forks were kept :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

When I was a nipper, I loved it. Thought it was great, although I was always hungry about 30 minutes after. My mother hated it, she said it was for people who could not cook lol.

When I got a bit of my own money I had it a few times, but the taste eventually backfired on me, I find it absolutely disgusting now. Also the price is a rip off, for the price of 2 big mac meals, I can pool in with my brother and get a brilliant Chinese from nearby, and have enough left to feed another person.

When I was a nipper, I loved it. Thought it was great, although I was always hungry about 30 minutes after. My mother hated it, she said it was for people who could not cook lol.

When I got a bit of my own money I had it a few times, but the taste eventually backfired on me, I find it absolutely disgusting now. Also the price is a rip off, for the price of 2 big mac meals, I can pool in with my brother and get a brilliant Chinese from nearby, and have enough left to feed another person.

I think you are missing your mothers point...;)

I very rarely eat there (maybe once in a couple of months) but McDonalds is among the cheaper of the fast food chains. I can't see how a Chinese meal for 3 is cheaper than 2 big macs meals. The Chinese must be dirt cheap?

juan.kerr wrote: »
    I think you are missing your mothers point...;)

I very rarely eat there (maybe once in a couple of months) but McDonalds is among the cheaper of the fast food chains. I can't see how a Chinese meal for 3 is cheaper than 2 big macs meals. The Chinese must be dirt cheap?

How much is a big mac meal these days? I can get enough Chinese food for 3 for about 15-16 euro. Most Chinese's nearby charge the same or similar.

Also I do follow my mothers own advice and cook most of the time, just the odd time I get a takeaway.

Fair enough, does the eur 15 - 16 include drinks for the 3? 2 medium big mac meals are roughly the same price I guess.

My local chinese charges eur 12 or 14 for a meal including rice or chips (without drink).

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Fair enough, does the eur 15 - 16 include drinks for the 3? 2 medium big mac meals are roughly the same price I guess.

My local chinese charges eur 12 or 14 for a meal including rice or chips (without drink).

No drink, water is good enough:)

Also it is takeaway so it is eaten at home. But if I head into town can get cheap all you can eat buffet's, which are way better quality than McD's, but I rarely do that as I'll get fat :D

Advertisement