Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberry Playbook 64GB Pricecut £129

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

Declan said in another thread said watch for out for some news from him. Would assume that there wil be some stock for the irish stores or more likely just the webstore

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bonnie1810

Hey I was in Currys today in galway the 64gb is down to 199 cheaper than the 32gb seemed to be going fast

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭magher

magher wrote: »
    These can be modded to run android can't they?

Sorry, seems they cant. I was thinking of hp touchpad.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭losttheplot

This might be what you are waiting for....

http://www.currys.ie/Product/BLACKBERRY-PlayBook-Tablet-PC-64-GB/309023/7.18
    swampy353 wrote: »
    Declan said in another thread said watch for out for some news from him. Would assume that there wil be some stock for the irish stores or more likely just the webstore

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Saw it and posted it HERE the other day
    But you can't buy it here without a UK credit/debit card.

Really getting sick of Currys charging Irish customers more on everything. :( Even in the sales/stock they are trying to get rid of. I'd prefer to pay full price or wait for drop in an Irish store.

Current price in the UK works out at €162, (less expensive then the 16GB and 32GB version in Ireland.) And Obviously cheaper then the same model over here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Allyall wrote: »
    Saw it and posted it HERE the other day
    But you can't buy it here without a UK credit/debit card.

Really getting sick of Currys charging Irish customers more on everything. :( Even in the sales/stock they are trying to get rid of. I'd prefer to pay full price or wait for drop in an Irish store.

Current price in the UK works out at €162, (less expensive then the 16GB and 32GB version in Ireland.) And Obviously cheaper then the same model over here.
    Huh. Didn't know they could tell the cc originator. Was gonna get one delivered to my cousin and get him to post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

magher wrote: »
    http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/blackberry-playbook-tablet-pc-64-gb-10647930-pdt.html

Seems very good value. These can be modded to run android can't they?

No, but they can run some Android apps - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056720110
    Huh. Didn't know they could tell the cc originator. Was gonna get one delivered to my cousin and get him to post it.

I didn't either, but they do. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Jovem

Brilliant product, at this price. Once you're not an App junkie, this is hard to beat as a compact tablet. Well made, flash compatible, fast and stable. No Netflix or Kindle App but aside from this....hard to fault.

At Airside, in the bargain bin inside the door, you can also pick up a great quality Blackberry branded leather case for around €20. You'll be suited and booted for €200.

Same sheepish behaviour that killed (the similar) WebOs, will kill this product too. Sentiment is against Blackberry right now, despite the fact that the current OS is pretty decent and far superior to the hopeless Android platform.

Anyway, rant over. Anyone on the fence, jump!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Tis a great device and with OS 2.1 coming soon for it it'll make it better. Not to mention it'll receive the BB10 OS later in the year/early next year. In case anyone didnt know the 64GB model was 699euro when it launched last year so it's a real bargain at the moment. I love my 16GB model. I can side load a lot of android apps (if anyone wants help with this just give me a shout).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭emo72

I've ordered a few for collection in London tomorrow. Will let you know how I get on. 129 sterling for these is nothing. I ordered them and have friends that will pick them up for me. Then transfer money over to friends. Only way around the cc problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Dec4

The Currys MD has relented to a bit of pressure and dropped it by another 20 quid. See here

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Dec4 wrote: »
    The Currys MD has relented to a bit of pressure and dropped it by another 20 quid. See here
    From the linked thread, it appears if you buy online *now* for €199, you will be entitled to a refund of €22 after the price goes to €179.

So, you effectively pay €177 plus €5 delivery - a total of €182.

They are showing in stock now, so get busy!

You need Laser, Visa or Mastercard. No PayPal option.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

I think that the price promise is an instore only thing http://www.currys.ie/content/Price-Promise/926 so it might be best off to wait until tomorrow. I actually bought one today instore on a whim:o luckily I will be refunded the €22 tomorrow.

Haven't tried it yet as because of my shocking internet speed (thanks UTV) It is going to take another 3 hours to update....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭biebiebie

So what Android apps don't work then? What about gmail app?

Also is it good for streaming video to HDMI out for watching on the tv? e.g rte player.

lindtee wrote: »
    I think that the price promise is an instore only thing http://www.currys.ie/content/Price-Promise/926 so it might be best off to wait until tomorrow. I actually bought one today instore on a whim:o luckily I will be refunded the €22 tomorrow.
    Oops - a bit sneaky, that!

Not your ornery onager

biebiebie wrote: »
    So what Android apps don't work then? What about gmail app?

Also is it good for streaming video to HDMI out for watching on the tv? e.g rte player.
    There is a micro-HDMI out.

Specs say Video:out: 1920x1080 (1080p) resolution.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

lindtee wrote: »

Haven't tried it yet as because of my shocking internet speed (thanks UTV) It is going to take another 3 hours to update....

So Price Promise is valid against Currys own prices also as well as competitors ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭bromley52

The price of the 64gb version has dropped to €179 online.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭sudaltsov

But their market has only 100K apps, comparing to 600K of Google Play :( And no real Android port for those devices so far:( So bad... For such a good hardware and a very good price... If only RIM would not be a dying company...

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

sudaltsov wrote: »
    But their market has only 100K apps, comparing to 600K of Google Play :( And no real Android port for those devices so far:( So bad... For such a good hardware and a very good price... If only RIM would not be a dying company...

Which of those 500k Google Play apps do you actually use that aren't on Blackberry? Alot of android apps can be side loaded very easily and work perfectly. At the moment the one's that don't work tend to be those that use the camera but apparently that'll change when OS 2.1 releases shortly. With BB10 launching in the next 6 months (probably January) the number of apps available on the playbook will increase as that launch date approaches. RIM have been working hard with Devs to develop more for the blackberry environment. They also showed off the new phones to media and networks in the US in the last two weeks with very positive feedback coming out from the likes of CNET and others who wouldn't be known as blackberry fanboys.

• Advertisement

Are you sure RIM will be around for next 6 months? And ... talking about camera. Where is skype on playbook?

Are you sure RIM will be around for next 6 months? And ... talking about camera. Where is skype on playbook?

To the first question, Yes, not a chance of them going anywhere in the short term. Long term it all depends on how successfully they handle to launch of BB10. Consistent rumours in the press about Samsung looking to licence BB10.

Skype is probably most asked for app that isn't there at the moment. I never use Skype, and have no interest in it so doesn't affect me, and probably most tablet users have no need for it but for what it's worth, here's word from Adam Stanley who is the Senior Application Development Consultant at RIM
    While I could beat around the bush for a few hundred more words and then reveal the information I learned about Netflix and Skype, I'm going to spill the beans now. While discussing apps with Adam I was straight to the point and the question I asked was "The CrackBerry community is chomping at the bit, where are Netflix and Skype for the BlackBerry PlayBook?". While I didn't get the answer I was wishing for, I did get some fresh news. Adam informed me that RIM was indeed committed to adding new apps from roughly 100 big name developers for the launch of BlackBerry 10 later this year, and Skype and Netflix are indeed on that list.

Full article here http://crackberry.com/netflix-skype-and-others-what-rim-doing-close-app-gap

As with buying any device, each person has to decide whats important to them. If Skype is a key reason for buying a tablet, then the Playbook isn't the tablet for you currently, although hopefully in the short term Skype will arrive.

Thanks for the tips! Interesting.
    Regarding "not a chance of them going anywhere in the short term"... there were so many speculations regarding them selling hw business... They are in big troubles, financially. And the market share goes to 0 so fast..
    At least they could open bootloader - that would open doors to CyanogenMod folks.. Just remember the success of hp touchpad. That's because there is Android for it.

Thanks for the tips! Interesting.
    Regarding "not a chance of them going anywhere in the short term"... there were so many speculations regarding them selling hw business... They are in big troubles, financially. And the market share goes to 0 so fast..
    At least they could open bootloader - that would open doors to CyanogenMod folks.. Just remember the success of hp touchpad. That's because there is Android for it.

There was some talk of that alright, mainly coming from a minority investor looking to cash in I think, and some quotes from the new CEO which were misinterpreted in the press. They are still turning a profit and generating cashflow, although that'll change when they release their next accounts and until the new phones come out. In the short term they have plenty of cash in the bank to see them through the launch of BB10, it's how that launch goes that'll nail them in as the third player or see someone come in and buy them out.

There is zero chance of RIM, who have built their business on security opening up their OS to modding. The touchpad only sold when it was discontinued and the remaining stock was sold off at rock bottom prices, hardly a success story for them to follow.
    stanley1 wrote: »
    is it possible to play netflix on BB playbook.

See my quote and link above where thats already dealt with

The keyword is the market share. So far the trend is killing RIM. Do they have time till BB10? I do not know. Will BB10 dramatically change the trend? I do not know. But they will have no second shot, I'm afraid...

I am not saying about opening of OS (even though that does not conflict with security, BTW). Just bootloader - to allow loading of completely different OS... That HW would be great as Android tablet with brand quality HW.

Definitely losing market share in the US alright, seem to be doing ok in the rest of the world for the time being to give them the time to get BB10 to market. Unless windows phone 7/8 suddenly start gaining massively there's still the number 3 spot to play for. I said above that the launch of BB10 would either make them or lead to them being bought by someone, Samsung for example. RIM are bulletproof patent wise and have alot of IP and expertise that will be very valuable to other phone makers. Also have a strong foothold in the auto industry which will be a big market in the future.

Why on earth would they allow a competing OS to be installed on their hardware though? Should Apple allow android to be installed on the Ipad, should microsoft allow it on their tablets? If you want Android OS, buy an Android tablet. As I said before, anyone buying a gadget has to decide their individual use case and then choose the hardware/OS package that best satisfies their needs.

HP had their WebOS - but allowed Android to be installed ;) Openness is always good for customers. Matter of attitude..
    Otherwise I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Just posting to say that I just ordered a "leather" case from Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deluxe-Black-Leather-BlackBerry-Playbook/dp/B005SC6X06/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top and at £5.94 (£3.95 plus £1.99 delivery sold by memorycapital) it seems pretty good value and reviews are mostly postitive for it. There are (slightly) cheaper ones on ebay but I opted for Amazon one because of the reviews. Will post back when it arrives.

Just to add that I am very happy with the playbook itself. It is ideal for what I want it for and perfect as an e-reader. Picture is excellent and even my son who got a nexus a couple of weeks ago for his birthday was impressed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I've the 16GB model.
    I installed a load of apps and games and have a few films on it and episodes of some programs. Now its full though.

The screen is class though, and it has micro-HDMI that I sometimes hook up to the telly. Very handy if you have any hi def films on the thing.

Games are standard. You get your Angry Birds and all that. The PlayBook also has its own video conferencing app but you can only video chat with other PlayBook owners. I think its the same as that FaceTime for iPad. Specs of the PlayBook make it identical to the iPad2 except it actually has more RAM than the iPad2. It has a smaller screen though, obviously.

With regards playing Android apps on it. Its very easy for Android developers to port apps over. Its a 3-click wizard pretty much. I've ported over a few, and this has led to a huge increase in apps available in their app store (App World). The only problem is that any android app that uses the Android Native Libraries will not work. That means a lot of the fancier games, and things that use the camera, eg Skype, wont work, even when side-loaded (eg, hook it up to ur PC via USB and use software to send the app to the tablet). Though the camera will be supported in about a month so Skype could come very soon.

All in all, its perfect for what I need it for. Portable, nice screen, and can hold a few episodes and films for me to watch in bed. Thats all I need, and all I use it for.

Hopefully that helps people decide if they want to buy it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Would the playbook be a good option for someone who just wants a tablet to surf the web, play youtube vids etc?

Advertisement