Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberry Playbook 64GB Pricecut £129

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Stheno wrote: »
    Would the playbook be a good option for someone who just wants a tablet to surf the web, play youtube vids etc?

I would think so. At its current price point with it's hardware it is a bargain.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

cookie1977 wrote: »
    I would think so. At its current price point with it's hardware it is a bargain.

Thanks, I may pick up two for myself and the Oh. I was considering a kindle, but the blackberry compatible readers seem just as good for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Thanks, I may pick up two for myself and the Oh. I was considering a kindle, but the blackberry compatible readers seem just as good for me :)

Kobo was on it to begin with but I added another reader onto it (bookreader) and have found how to easily transfer book files that I have already onto it;) I too was considering a kindle, but I think this was a much better buy given all the other things that it can do for not much more dosh. The main drawback being of course that the battery is not going to last as long as the kindle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Very easy to side-load the android Kindle app.

http://crackberry.com/how-get-amazon-kindle-your-blackberry-playbook

Works perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Jovem wrote: »
    Same sheepish behaviour that killed (the similar) WebOs, will kill this product too. Sentiment is against Blackberry right now, despite the fact that the current OS is pretty decent and far superior to the hopeless Android platform.
    Let's not get too carried away here! :)

A friend has one of these, they're a decent tablet, especially at these prices. However, he said the last update to the OS has really made a mess of the browser.

If I hadn't recently bought a tablet, I'd definitely go for one of these, though.

blastman wrote: »
    Let's not get too carried away here! :)

A friend has one of these, they're a decent tablet, especially at these prices. However, he said the last update to the OS has really made a mess of the browser.

If I hadn't recently bought a tablet, I'd definitely go for one of these, though.

There's a couple of updates out there at present. There's the official version 2.0 release and also a beta release of 2.1 which is available for anyone to download. Beta 2.1 browser is running very smooth for me

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cthulu

I don't know what the hype is about. I have a playbook that I happened to get for free at a conference and I considered not taking it. It's really just a hyped up e-reader (and you have to play around with it to get it to run most of the decent e-readers).

I would have far preferred if blackberry had left it with the core Android system rather than their modified one. You have to rebuild/repackage most apps to get them to work, unless you want to go to the Blackberry appstore and grab some of the few apps they have there (compared to the entire Android app market).

Admittedly the device looks good, but it's extremely heavy for a handheld device, sometimes slow to react and applications crash frequently. The default charger it comes with is very slow so I'd recommend investing in a more powerful charger if you decide to go with it (which I wouldn't recommend). A plus for blackberry phone users is that it tethers extremely easily by bluetooth connection.

My wife has an Archos 7 and while it's a little old and not the best made android tablet out there (cheap and cheerful is probably apt), it's better than the playbook.

RIM are losing their market share in all kinds of ways for good reason, as far as I'm concerned.

cthulu wrote: »
    I don't know what the hype is about. I have a playbook that I happened to get for free at a conference and I considered not taking it. It's really just a hyped up e-reader (and you have to play around with it to get it to run most of the decent e-readers).

I would have far preferred if blackberry had left it with the core Android system rather than their modified one. You have to rebuild/repackage most apps to get them to work, unless you want to go to the Blackberry appstore and grab some of the few apps they have there (compared to the entire Android app market).

Admittedly the device looks good, but it's extremely heavy for a handheld device, sometimes slow to react and applications crash frequently. The default charger it comes with is very slow so I'd recommend investing in a more powerful charger if you decide to go with it (which I wouldn't recommend). A plus for blackberry phone users is that it tethers extremely easily by bluetooth connection.

My wife has an Archos 7 and while it's a little old and not the best made android tablet out there (cheap and cheerful is probably apt), it's better than the playbook.

RIM are losing their market share in all kinds of ways for good reason, as far as I'm concerned.

It's not a modified android system. It's a completely different OS that runs android apps on a player on the BlackBerry OS. I have to say I dont notice apps crashing. In fact I haven't rebooted/hard reset the device in at least 3 months. I find the OS very stable. If apps are crashing then it's the app. This can occur more often if you're sideloading android apps yourself as they may not be as stable as native or properly ported apps.

The included charge will charge the device from almost zero to 100% in about 5 hrs. The rapid chargers you can get will do it in about 2hrs. I dont find the device heavy at all. I like it's shape more than other tablet devices for it's size (7 inches) but more for it's edges which aren't as sharp as other tablets out there. The device weighs less than 2 ounces more then the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cthulu

It's not a modified android system. It's a completely different OS that runs android apps on a player on the BlackBerry OS. I have to say I dont notice apps crashing.

My bad. I still stand by everything else I say though. My experience was that even before installing apps, there was a lack of responsiveness and random hangs/crashes. I can't be the only person out there who doesn't see the value because the playbook has been a commercial flop. RIM are becoming more and more irrelevant in my humble opinion, which is disappointing because I was an avid blackberry phone user at one time.

• Advertisement

Lots of people don't see the value cthulu, the thread about this on hukd (and probably loads of other forums) is full of haters! Personally, for what I want it for (ereader/browsing/occassionally watching movies/listening to music), it suits me down to the ground. And I am sure at this price point for a quality device with 64gb of storage it is suiting others too.

cthulu wrote: »
    My bad. I still stand by everything else I say though. My experience was that even before installing apps, there was a lack of responsiveness and random hangs/crashes. I can't be the only person out there who doesn't see the value because the playbook has been a commercial flop. RIM are becoming more and more irrelevant in my humble opinion, which is disappointing because I was an avid blackberry phone user at one time.

well RIM have never been great at marketing nor PR unlike other companies so this has done and does play a major factor in sales or lack of. It doesn't mean it's a bad device. Early next year will show whether RIM will stay relevant and if they can capture back some of their market lost to others. In the mean time I'll be sticking with and loving my discounted playbook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Bought one yesterday and have now had a chance to play around with it

For the price paid it is excellent, 64gb storage and a top class screen, loaded Toy Story 3 on it and the picture quaility on it is fantastic

it is nice and neat, I have had a bigger pad before and I find the smaller size much more to my liking, more portable and more comfortable to use

I have sideloaded a few apps and all seems to work well and it is easy to do

Best of all I sideloaded the kindle app and had all my purchases available to me

Happy out so far

Bought one yesterday and have now had a chance to play around with it

For the price paid it is excellent, 64gb storage and a top class screen, loaded Toy Story 3 on it and the picture quaility on it is fantastic

it is nice and neat, I have had a bigger pad before and I find the smaller size much more to my liking, more portable and more comfortable to use

I have sideloaded a few apps and all seems to work we and is easy to do

Best of all I sideloaded the kindle app and had all my purchases available to me

Happy out so far

Get yourself a mini HDMI cable and you'll enjoy it even more hooked up to your tv. Great fun playing some of the games or watching full HD films

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Get yourself a mini HDMI cable and you'll enjoy it even more hooked up to your tv. Great fun playing some of the games or watching full HD films

Yup, have an adaptor ordered from Amazon as I have plenty if HDMI cables lying around

Micro not mini though

Ooops. Yes micro ;)

lindtee wrote: »

I must say I like my devices (tablets and phones) naked although I do use the included neoprene cover for transporting it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Post and packaging for that plus the leather case is 22 pounds!

The leather case should only be 1.99 p and p. And if you add a not in stock or pre order item to the snug case to bring it over £25 you can cancel them after the case dispatches and effectively get free delivery on it.

• Advertisement

The leather case should only be 1.99 p and p. And if you add a not in stock or pre order item to the snug case to bring it over £25 you can cancel them after the case dispatches and effectively get free delivery on it.

I'm having a battle with super saver, it doesn't seem to be an option?

I'm having a battle with super saver, it doesn't seem to be an option?

Not sure why that is as mine went through with the free delivery with no issues. It's just about to go out of stock again too:(

Not sure why that is as mine went through with the free delivery with no issues. It's just about to go out of stock again too:(

Got two of those black leather cases/stands for about £13.50 including delivery, given the prices of them here, I'm happy with that.

Picked up two playbooks today, delighted with them tbh, OH who is a complete technophobe, loves his, I like mine too, and will use it a lot for reading etc.

Haven't really had the time to check out all the features though!

Just managed to sideload a few android apps including kindle and imdb and it was surprisingly easy. I used this youtube tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWjteL9ySY8&feature=plcp&context=C3e3c52aUDOEgsToPDskIeVGjW1NPRTcr7Vz1LMBSG

Edit - Price of the 16gb and 32gb have come down to £109 and £119 respectively so there should be a simliar drop in the Irish prices. I think it is worth the extra for the extra storage unless they drop the price more for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭bromley52

which is a better device, HP Touchpad or Blackberry Playbook? I have a touchpad that I am considering selling to get this.

bromley52 wrote: »
    which is a better device, HP Touchpad or Blackberry Playbook? I have a touchpad that I am considering selling to get this.

Having used both I think the playbook is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

Just managed to sideload a few apps including kindle and imdb and it was surprisingly easy. I used this youtube tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWjteL9ySY8&feature=plcp&context=C3e3c52aUDOEgsToPDskIeVGjW1NPRTcr7Vz1LMBSG

Edit - Price of the 16gb and 32gb have come down to £109 and £119 respectively so there should be a simliar drop in the Irish prices. I think it is worth the extra for the extra storage unless they drop the price more for them.

ive been to Currys 3 times now , to upgrade and to get cash back , looks like i might be going back again if the prices keep coming down!
    Thanks OP

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Does anyone know if this a permanent price drop or is it just on sale for now?

Naomi00 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this a permanent price drop or is it just on sale for now?

It's temporary. They're not making any more as they're launching a 4G model soon enough and they're primarily focused on getting their new smartphone out in Q1 2013. So if you want one I'd grab it soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

You can get the 64GB Playbook in The Loop at Dublin Airport for €160 at the moment.
    I have a 32GB one that I bought there about six months ago for €230 (if I remember correctly) and my daughter got a 16GB one from Santa.
    She loves hers, and I love mine they're perfect for what I need, music, movies and a little surfing on the net.
    I'm a huge Blackberry fan, I have a BB9900 which replaced my iphone and its by far the best phone I've ever had, and for me the best thing about the Playbook is Blackberry Bridge, if you've got a BB phone you'll love it. It connects the phone and the Playbook via Bluetooth and enables you to surf the net, e-mail, BBM using the data connection that comes with your phone but on the larger playbook screen. Its really simple to set up and you can even use your phone as a mouse, remote control or even a keyboard.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvCI1x3tMdI

Advertisement