Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberry Playbook 64GB Pricecut £129

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Looking at the BB9900 phone, I can understand why you'd need a Playbook to surf the Net ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Anyone streaming rte player or such to their tv via hdmi out? If so I'd be interested to hear how that's working out. Ta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Very easy to side-load the android Kindle app.

http://crackberry.com/how-get-amazon-kindle-your-blackberry-playbook

Works perfectly.

Pity its an old version of Kindle though.
    If you have books not bought from Amazon i.e in your personal documents, then whisper sync won't work.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

they are 160€ at the airport. I managed to resist with a touchpad in my bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Would the Dublin Airport store qualify for Curry's Ireland Price Promise?

It would make it the same price as it is in the U.K.

Also - (From their Price Promise) - LINK
    The conditions of our price promise
    • Our price promise applies to the product only, not delivery or other services
    • Single unit products only
    • The Competitor must be a Republic of Ireland retail store within 30 miles of your local store and have stock ready for delivery.
    • Web purchases are excluded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I doubt it but it's worth a try.

I can watch rteplayer over hdmi and it plays fine. I suppose some of it depends on your broadband speed too. Re the 9900, it might not be a media power house but for getting things done quickly it's a great device. The new BB10 due early next year should be the bomb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm very close to driving over to Currys in Blanch/Liffey Valley today and trying to get one of the 64GB versions.

I have a Galaxy Note at the min so everything lives on that, and I'm not a major apps downloader but any I do use seem to work (from Crackberry lists).

Am I mad or should I wait for the new MS Surface tablets? :p

You can't equate the playbook to the surface. The surface will probably be more than 600 euro per device.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I'm very close to driving over to Currys in Blanch/Liffey Valley today and trying to get one of the 64GB versions.

I have a Galaxy Note at the min so everything lives on that, and I'm not a major apps downloader but any I do use seem to work (from Crackberry lists).

Am I mad or should I wait for the new MS Surface tablets? :p

I struggled with this, for the first little while. I then came to the conclusion, they're selling them off because tech is moving so fast. They'll be around for a while yet anyway.
    Currys/Dixons/PC World are not the only places to stock them. I'd say they will come down everywhere, as have/will many other tablets.

Microsoft Surface is expected to be a decent price (Expected $199).

For the average price of a tablet a year ago, you can now get the 64GB Playbook, and an Ainol Novo Fire, plus have change (Lots of it) left over.

How much "Playing" will you get out of this? The 32GB and 16GB will also have to come down.

I personally will be waiting a while before i start to splash out on stuff that only has a short life in my house, again.

I cannot believe any surface will be 199. There's talk of 600-1000. Why do you think it'll be available for 199?

• Advertisement

cookie1977 wrote: »
    I cannot believe any surface will be 199. There's talk of 600-1000. Why do you think it'll be available for 199?

Guardian - (Yeah i know) :pac:

GottabeMobile

DigitalTrends

Engadget

Seeking Alpha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Surfaces are quite a decent spec with Office rolled into it. I can't see them selling it for 100. it's worth far more than that. I've worked on them.

oops, misread the digits. I'd see them being around 3-400.

That does seem to be with subscription though. Can't really compare the price when it's on a 2 year subscription though now can you?

That does seem to be with subscription though. Can't really compare the price when it's on a 2 year subscription though now can you?

That's the Guardians twist on it.. I doubt it'll be on a subscription.

Others have said they expect it to be $199. That probably Equates to €267 The way the prices change across the Atlantic.

Allyall wrote: »
    That's the Guardians twist on it.. I doubt it'll be on a subscription.

Others have said they expect it to be $199. That probably Equates to €267 The way the prices change across the Atlantic.

It's more than the gaurdian:
    http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/8/16/3247871/2-years-live-gold-subscription-199-surface

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/08/how-microsoft-could-make-a-199-surface-rt-a-reality-and-why-it-shouldnt/

At 199 outright it's either a massive loss for ms or a lump of cheap plastic (which could do more damage for MS then a higher price)

It's more than the gaurdian:
    http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/8/16/3247871/2-years-live-gold-subscription-199-surface

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/08/how-microsoft-could-make-a-199-surface-rt-a-reality-and-why-it-shouldnt/

At 199 outright it's either a massive loss for ms or a lump of cheap plastic (which could do more damage for MS then a higher price)

Yep. I agree. It would probably be a massive loss. But...
    The biggest hurdle to the $200 price point is the manufacturing cost: if Microsoft were to sell Surface at $200, it is likely that the company would be selling the tablet at a loss.
    Of course, Microsoft has engaged in such a strategy before.
    When Microsoft entered the video game industry just after the turn of the millenium, it sold every Xbox gaming console at a loss. While Microsoft initially took a large cash hit, the strategy ultimately paid off: Microsoft was able to reap billions in profits when its follow-up Xbox 360 became a staple consumer entertainment device.
    Although Apple and Google have dominated the mobile OS business, Microsoft could springboard back into the discussion by following an aggressive pricing strategy.
    With billions sitting on its balance sheet, Microsoft certainly has the cash hoard to do it.

Forbes.com

The $199 for a subscription, is plausible, but i don't think they'd sell as many doing that. They are aware how quickly the Tablet market is moving, and, As they will be manufacturing them, themselves, I'd imagine they have a lot more up their sleeves.

This launch is to get them into the Tablet market. I personally wouldn't pay for a 2 year (Or any length of time) Subscription.

Yep. I agree. It would probably be a massive loss. But...

Forbes.com

Problem here is though that others are manufacturing the devices too. Will HP agree to take a hit or will MS compensate them all?

Problem here is though that others are manufacturing the devices too. Will HP agree to take a hit or will MS compensate them all?

I was under the impression that they were manufacturing them themselves.

Samsung have apparently made the surface 2.0

LINK
    In addition to pricing and availability, we also do not know who is building this device for Microsoft. (Samsung Electronics built the Surface 2.0 device, which is the latest version of Microsoft's Surface tabletop computer.) We also do not know if Microsoft is going to have other Surface-branded devices in the family -- including the existing Surface 2.0. (I've asked. No word back yet.)

Although the seekingalpha link states that they are making them themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭v240gltse

what shop is selling them in the loop as iam flying out today and wouldn't mind a gander ?

regards

brendan
    You can get the 64GB Playbook in The Loop at Dublin Airport for €160 at the moment.
    I have a 32GB one that I bought there about six months ago for €230 (if I remember correctly) and my daughter got a 16GB one from Santa.
    She loves hers, and I love mine they're perfect for what I need, music, movies and a little surfing on the net.
    I'm a huge Blackberry fan, I have a BB9900 which replaced my iphone and its by far the best phone I've ever had, and for me the best thing about the Playbook is Blackberry Bridge, if you've got a BB phone you'll love it. It connects the phone and the Playbook via Bluetooth and enables you to surf the net, e-mail, BBM using the data connection that comes with your phone but on the larger playbook screen. Its really simple to set up and you can even use your phone as a mouse, remote control or even a keyboard.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvCI1x3tMdI

I struggled with this, for the first little while. I then came to the conclusion, they're selling them off because tech is moving so fast. They'll be around for a while yet anyway.
    Currys/Dixons/PC World are not the only places to stock them. I'd say they will come down everywhere, as have/will many other tablets.

Microsoft Surface is expected to be a decent price (Expected $199).

For the average price of a tablet a year ago, you can now get the 64GB Playbook, and an Ainol Novo Fire, plus have change (Lots of it) left over.

How much "Playing" will you get out of this? The 32GB and 16GB will also have to come down.

I personally will be waiting a while before i start to splash out on stuff that only has a short life in my house, again.

Well I gave in and am sitting here with my brand new 64GB Playbook :o

I thought about it some more and the main use for this will be web, music, eBooks and some remote desktop sessions to my home LAN and I'll hook it to the TV every now and then (any links for a good/cheap mini-HD to HD cable?)

Based on all that it should last me a while so I decided feck it and bought one. Played with the demo model in PC World for a few mins and was impressed.

Just running through the setup now as we speak....

• Advertisement

I thought about it some more and the main use for this will be web, music, eBooks and some remote desktop sessions to my home LAN and I'll hook it to the TV every now and then (any links for a good/cheap mini-HD to HD cable?)

Based on all that it should last me a while so I decided feck it and bought one. Played with the demo model in PC World for a few mins and was impressed.

Would people be interested in a thread on the best/favourite apps and how to's for the Playbook?

Would people be interested in a thread on the best/favourite apps and how to's for the Playbook?

+1 for this idea

I'm a bit jealous :D I talked myself out of one, when they were originally 16GB for this price. Now you have me doubting myself all over again...

Yeah, as it seems a lot of people have bought one at this stage, you should go for it.. :) I'd say it will have quite a few on it.. Plus it may completely sway me over.. :D

https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/android/bpaa/

http://apk2bar.unker.net/

Some early first impressions...

- Build quality is impressive. Very solid feel to it. Compared to a 10" Archos that was beside it in the shop at the same price, this seems/is a far higher quality device
    - Screen is a fingerprint magnet but very responsive
    - I was initially worried about the keyboard (being used to Swiftkey on my Galaxy Note) but it's actually not bad
    - Setup is a doddle, accept the agreements, connect to the WLAN, signup for a BlackBerry ID and it auto-downloads the updates (2.0.1.358 it says here)

Some more....

- Display quality is excellent, bright and good at almost every angle
    - Browser is pretty good. Flash works fine
    - Sound quality is good too (I'm currently watching Liverpool v Arsenal on it) :)

I'm a bit jealous :D I talked myself out of one, when they were originally 16GB for this price. Now you have me doubting myself all over again...
    If it helps, were it not for the fact that this is 64GB I probably wouldn't have bothered either - as I want this to last a while I'll need the extra space :)

Yeah, as it seems a lot of people have bought one at this stage, you should go for it.. :) I'd say it will have quite a few on it.. Plus it may completely sway me over.. :D

https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/android/bpaa/

http://apk2bar.unker.net/

Yeah I think you're right. I'll put something together and post it later this evening and I'll put a link to it here. We can go from there then.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

CURSE YOU BARGAIN ALERTS - KAISER2000 AND COOKIE1977 ;):p

CREDIT CARD IN HAND.

Why oh why am i going to do this.. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

*Right. Head down, pro's and con's..
    Some serious thinking ahead of me..

v240gltse wrote: »
    what shop is selling them in the loop as iam flying out today and wouldn't mind a gander ?

regards

brendan

I think it's Curry's in Dublin Airport..

Anyone suggest a dock for it?

• Advertisement

Anyone suggest a dock for it?

I think there's only one official one

LINK

EBAY

Amazon are selling off a load of accessories

PLAYBOOK LEATHER BINDER COVER
    - £12.55