Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Homeless

• 25-08-2012 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭

I was in Superquinn earlier and on my way out, at the exit, there was a guy collecting for the homeless. He asked the guy ahead of me "would you like to support the homeless" Guy turns around and says "no, why should I help the junkies, all them homeless take drugs, you're worse for collecting for them."
    This got me thinking, yeah, he has a point in what he is saying. I'm sure the majority of homeless people are drug addicts and alcoholics but I'm sure there are genuine cases of homelessness.
    Anytime I'm in around town, I will either buy at least one homeless person something to eat or else I will give them a few euro. I know in my heart of hearts when I hand them money, it will go on drink or drugs. The way I look at it though, is that if I give them money, it may prevent them robbing someone or breaking in to a house to get the money to feed their habit.
    My heart does go out to them. I hate seeing it, I know the majority of these people have brought it on themselves but anyone could get caught up in the grip of addiction.
    Do ye give money to the homeless or do ye think along the lines of the guy giving out in Superquinn.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

So you give money to the homeless?

No need to make a Big Issue out of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Culleeo wrote: »
    I was in Superquinn earlier and on my way out, at the exit, there was a guy collecting for the homeless. He asked the guy ahead of me "would you like to support the homeless" Guy turns around and says "no, why should I help the junkies, all them homeless take drugs, you're worse for collecting for them."
    This got me thinking, yeah, he has a point in what he is saying. I'm sure the majority of homeless people are drug addicts and alcoholics but I'm sure there are genuine cases of homelessness.
    Anytime I'm in around town, I will either buy at least one homeless person something to eat or else I will give them a few euro. I know in my heart of hearts when I hand them money, it will go on drink or drugs. The way I look at it though, is that if I give them money, it may prevent them robbing someone or breaking in to a house to get the money to feed their habit.
    My heart does go out to them. I hate seeing it, I know the majority of these people have brought it on themselves but anyone could get caught up in the grip of addiction.
    Do ye give money to the homeless or do ye think along the lines of the guy giving out in Superquinn.

i dont give to homeless people, especially not cigarettes. If i see a genuine one, i might give something (there used to be a guy sleeping on kildare st reading every night).

Most cases they are junkies, who CHOSE to become junkies. Ive no sympathy and would rather they all be herded up and put on some island, we could call it "junkie island".

Alot of the people who claim to be homeless also clearly arent homeless (fairly new airmax, its not a coincidence that half the homeless population of dublin own 110 euro nike airmax!), which is another reason why i dont give anything, not to mention the romas but enough has been said on them!

Id rather give my hard earned to a more worthy charity like a childrens hospital or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

neil_hosey wrote: »
    Ive no sympathy and would rather they all be herded up and put on some island, we could call it "junkie island".
    Isn't that Dublin city centre?

Isn't that Dublin city centre?

you feel like you are in a zombie movie some days walking around o connell st.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

The guy outside the shop was probably being paid commission for collecting money for the homeless.
    I'd rather slit my own throat with a broken bottle before I would hand over money to an organisation that pays chuggers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Culleeo

i dont give to homeless people, especially not cigarettes. If i see a genuine one, i might give something (there used to be a guy sleeping on kildare st reading every night).

Most cases they are junkies, who CHOSE to become junkies. Ive no sympathy and would rather they all be herded up and put on some island, we could call it "junkie island".

Alot of the people who claim to be homeless also clearly arent homeless (fairly new airmax, its not a coincidence that half the homeless population of dublin own 110 euro nike airmax!), which is another reason why i dont give anything, not to mention the romas but enough has been said on them!

Id rather give my hard earned to a more worthy charity like a childrens hospital or something
    I'm sure they don't choose to become junkies. They didn't wake up one day and say yes, I want to be a junkie and I want to live on the streets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

absolutely give to the homeless, true that you dont know for sure what they are gonna use the money for, but id rather give a couple of euro to give them an option to get some food rather than walk by and be a stuck up prick, 2-3 euro isnt a lot to give, but its a hell of a lot to them!! i used to pass this guy in galway city when i lived there every day and used to throw him a few euro, one day i was getting breakfast in mc donnels (an egg mc muffin) and decided to get two and 2 bottles of water, i went out to the guy and gave him the mc muffin and a bottle of water and he was delighted! that was the last time i ever saw him, i passed that spot everyday for the next 6-7 months and never saw him again, id like to think that he might have gotten his act together and sorted himself out, who knows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

The guy outside the shop was probably being paid commission for collecting money for the homeless.
    I'd rather slit my own throat with a broken bottle before I would hand over money to an organisation that pays chuggers.

could be voluntary work

agree though- can't stand chuggers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

absolutely give to the homeless, true that you dont know for sure what they are gonna use the money for, but id rather give a couple of euro to give them an option to get some food rather than walk by and be a stuck up prick, 2-3 euro isnt a lot to give, but its a hell of a lot to them!! i used to pass this guy in galway city when i lived there every day and used to throw him a few euro, one day i was getting breakfast in mc donnels (an egg mc muffin) and decided to get two and 2 bottles of water, i went out to the guy and gave him the mc muffin and a bottle of water and he was delighted! that was the last time i ever saw him, i passed that spot everyday for the next 6-7 months and never saw him again, id like to think that he might have gotten his act together and sorted himself out, who knows

Maybe he choked on the McMuffin, you might have killed him.:eek:

Are they "HomeLESS" or "StreetFULL"?

Either way, if a fecker comes up and looks for money from me I usually dont give it. I regularly empty my pockets into the cup of a guy in a tatty soaking wet sleeping bag. You can tell the genuine cases from the outright junkies looking for "a few euro for the bus mister, I left my pregnant wife in the boot of my merc and I have to get her out 'cos she has my wallet. Thats why I need all your money"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

pebbles21 wrote: »

... and this sums up boards.ie
    Person creates a topic and IMMEDIATELY has to get blasted :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I wouldn't hand him money either because I can't stand chuggers pestering me, but if I come across a homeless person in around town, I would give them a few euro.

Ah, it's only a bit of craic, this is AH, I did laugh at the reply :)

I'm sure they don't choose to become junkies. They didn't wake up one day and say yes, I want to be a junkie and I want to live on the streets.

well they werent all just walkin down the road and suddenly fell on a syringe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

blasted with _______ :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Junkies or not (and I think it's absolutely retarded to assume that someone's a junkie just because they're homeless; or to think that someone "deserves" to be homeless due to addiction and isn't worthy of help) I feel that these people clearly appreciate a fiver a lot more than I do so I may as well give it to them.

/bleeding heart

well they werent all just walkin down the road and suddenly fell on a syringe.

I know that but I'm sure they didn't set out to end up a junkie and homeless.

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Junkies or not (and I think it's absolutely retarded to assume that someone's a junkie just because they're homeless; or to think that someone "deserves" to be homeless due to addiction and isn't worthy of help) I feel that these people clearly appreciate a fiver a lot more than I do so I may as well give it to them.

/bleeding heart

im not associating one with the other. There are of course ones who arent. When i mentioned junkies, it was the general junky thing where about half the homeless i see appear off their faces. If these all ****ed off, i wouldnt mind so much i dont think.

I know that but I'm sure they didn't set out to end up a junkie and homeless.

i see where you are coming from, but if you havent the brain power to associate taking heroin (it takes a few hits to get addicted i have been told, not 1), with being a junkie, and possibly homeless, you are a fúckin idiot in my eyes. It may seem harsh, but its an annoying subject. They arent victims, they chose to do it, and it isnt a disease in my opinion.

Obviously there are exceptions to that rule regarding vulnerable individuals being pressured and so on.

Ah, it's only a bit of craic, this is AH, I did laugh at the reply :)

Maybe i am over-reacting in this thread :P
    But you do see it alot on here. Alot of people just try to rip apart what ever the op says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Not all junkies are homeless and not all homeless are junkies .
    There are a number of things we can do to help the homeless. If you feel uncomfortable with giving money, Then why not buy them lunch or dinner.
    You could always give them warmer clothes or buy them a cup of hot coffee on a cold day. Or if you want to take it futher
    What about serving in a soup kitchen or a homeless shelter. If you work in an area where you see the same homeless person on a regular basis, why not stop and talk to them and listen to their story?
    You might find there’s an actual person under those disheveled clothes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Maybe i am over-reacting in this thread :P
    But you do see it alot on here. Alot of people just try to rip apart what ever the op says.
    Except he was joking. Homeless people! Big Issue! Get it?

Except he was joking. Homeless people! Big Issue! Get it?

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

When I lived in Toronto there was a well known homeless man, he was a big laywer who went bankrupt, his wife left him and he ended up getting into drugs wile living on the streets. Everyone knew him because he wore and old beat out suit. He ended up going mental then spitting at people and all that.

Point being, you have no idea why people end up on the streets, and an awful lot of people end up turning to drugs to make being homelessness a bit more bearable. In some places once you hit the streets thats it, no address to claim benefits then and no way of getting on your feet, or there are those that are simply too proud to ask for help.

Giving them food/tea is always welcome i find.

i see where you are coming from, but if you havent the brain power to associate taking heroin (it takes a few hits to get addicted i have been told, not 1), with being a junkie, and possibly homeless, you are a fúckin idiot in my eyes. It may seem harsh, but its an annoying subject. They arent victims, they chose to do it, and it isnt a disease in my opinion.

Obviously there are exceptions to that rule regarding vulnerable individuals being pressured and so on.

I fully understand what you're saying and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I do feel sorry for them, I know it takes x amount of hits to become addicted to a substance but some of these people come from a background where they know no better, they are taught no different, at the end of the day, they're still human and I'm sure the majority of them hate themselves as it is for what they've become. I feel the least I can do is get them a bite to eat or some coffee or give them a few euro, I know I don't owe them anything but that's just me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

When I lived in Toronto there was a well known homeless man, he was a big laywer who went bankrupt, his wife left him and he ended up getting into drugs wile living on the streets. Everyone knew him because he wore and old beat out suit. He ended up going mental then spitting at people and all that.

Sounds a bit like The Corner, though that was a true story also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

^Never heard of that!Wonder if its about him?There were rumours he contracted HIV and thats why he spat at people but I dunno :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

^Never heard of that!Wonder if its about him?There were rumours he contracted HIV and thats why he spat at people but I dunno :/

No its not about him but its about a similar well to do guy who fell through the cracks of society and lost everything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I fully understand what you're saying and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I do feel sorry for them, I know it takes x amount of hits to become addicted to a substance but some of these people come from a background where they know no better, they are taught no different, at the end of the day, they're still human and I'm sure the majority of them hate themselves as it is for what they've become. I feel the least I can do is get them a bite to eat or some coffee or give them a few euro, I know I don't owe them anything but that's just me though.

Hang on a second. Are you trying to tell me people in Ireland don't know the effect drugs will have before taking them?
    There are drugs awareness programmes in schools, there are anti drugs campaigns all over the place, many movies tell of the dangers of drugs and all anyone has to do is walk around Dublin city to see the effect drugs have on people. I don't buy the 'taught no different'. I went to school in an area that was half private/ half council houses. Many of the people who dropped out of school were not naive or stupid. They did so as they saw doing the odd bit of dealing and claiming the welfare as an easier method than studying and doing their leaving cert.
    Many start using out of boredom and other issues. don'y buy that they do not know what they are getting themselves in for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Hang on a second. Are you trying to tell me people in Ireland don't know the effect drugs will have before taking them?
    There are drugs awareness programmes in schools, there are anti drugs campaigns all over the place, many movies tell of the dangers of drugs and all anyone has to do is walk around Dublin city to see the effect drugs have on people. I don't buy the 'taught no different'. I went to school in an area that was half private/ half council houses. Many of the people who dropped out of school were not naive or stupid. They did so as they saw doing the odd bit of dealing and claiming the welfare as an easier method than studying and doing their leaving cert.
    Many start using out of boredom and other issues. don'y buy that they do not know what they are getting themselves in for.
    Is this thread about drug addicts or homeless people? They're not one and the same.

Personally, yeah I'd give money to homeless people. If someone has reached the absolute pits in their life that they have to beg for change, then I think they're in more need of a quid or two than I am.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

theres a few beggars on william st and o connell st and cruises st in limerick that i dont give to purely bc they already get dole in the hostel they stay in ,so for that reason i dont give to them..i dont warrant judgement on this as like i said before some of these ''homeless'' have hostel addresses and sign on from there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭God...

I spent a few nights sleeping rough in my teens, you just never know someones circumstances. People are to quick to judge and personally if I was to give someone sleeping rough money and they went and bought drink with that money I wouldn't begrudge them that either.

As for junkies, well thats a different case altogether but who knows there life story either.

yeah i understand what youre saying but there are those who sign on and you see them begging its hard to judge and say they all dont have money,a lot of them do and you see them begging..the ones who dont get hostel stay and are genuinely sleeping rough god help them is all i can say,hope they get their soup run and turn up on time for it,instead of running off drinking or shooting up..its awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭God...

Ohh I know a large proportion are fiddling in some way or another but they're just trying to survive in their own way. I also think a lot of them could be doing a hell of a lot more to help themselves than they do and then theres a lot that are just pathetic.

It's just not all people are brought up in the same environment and then some people are just scum. I just know better not to judge people right of the bat thats all.

i do give to charities but have given that up recently as i dont have the money and,as it all goes to management and CEOS and the like,its awful the way the money is poorly spread,ive never given to those begging on the street,as ive seen one lad walk into a hostel where i worked on a voluntary basis and got his sign on/dole once he got stay in the hostel then he went out down a street and started begging, so i know how some of it can go down alright,its a pity really as if i didnt witness that i might be giving to those who need it,but you just cant tell..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

'Most cases', 'alot of', 'half the homeless'.

They're just suppositions, yeah? Or do you have an incredibly intimate knowledge of the homeless population of Dublin?

Most reports on people who are homeless suggest a strong link to mental issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

you feel like you are in a zombie movie some days walking around o connell st.

clearly you watch unbelievably shít zombie films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

pebbles21 wrote: »

was the pun intemded or not ??

Haha the "big issue". Possibly the best pun on boards that ive seen yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Knock knock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Yes yes we are all told in school that ALL drugs are bad. We are never told any more though or which ones are not that bad and which ones are really bad. When people first come in contact with drugs it is normally cannabis. They take that and it has very little effect. Then people start thinking 'well maby if people were so wrong about cannabis maby there were wrong about heroin ect. They then take that and spiral out of control. All anti drugs campains put all drugs on the same level in the minds of most people by simple saying 'all drugs are bad'.
    I would wager that alot of people who become addicted is like this.

Anyway not all junkies are homeless and not all homeless are junkies.

If someone who has never taken drugs before suddenly finds themselves on the street after what is a very hard time in there life and someone offers them a drug that may put them in a happy place for a short while, a few mins/hours away from the torment of there existance, it is hard not to see why some would take the 'oppertunity'. Hell if worst came to the worst i would proberly be tempted myself.
    Put yourself in there shoes...

Also homeless people cant claim social welfair can they? They need a fixed address in order to do that as well as alot of paperwork they wouldn't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

There's a junkie I used to encounter outside Heuston every morning during my time in Dublin. He'd be pestering people for cigarettes and I obliged one day. I kind of got to know the guy after a couple months and it got to the point where I'd even look forward to our smoke and chat in the morning. The guy was actually quite an intellect and his addiction had resulted in his current circumstance.

I think we all tend to judge homeless people by their cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

A homeless person doesn't deserve any less respect or help just because they live on the streets. Yes, some are drug addicts, but not all of them. And even if they are, so what? They are still HUMAN BEINGS in a vulnerable situation and should be helped as much as possible.

Any single one of us could end up on the streets one day, nothing in life is promised or guaranteed and its impossible to know how you'll cope with being in such a hopeless situation till your in it. I'm not surprised a lot of them end up addicted to drugs to ease the pain and suffering.

If we all showed a bit of compassion to people less fortunate than ourselves, regardless of the circumstances, it wouldn't do any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

When I'm in town I normally buy a sandwich, tea and naggin of whiskey and give it to one of the homeless.

The way I see it is, if it gets them threw one more night on the streets then I'm happy to help em.

I'm as well pleased to throw a few coins to a genuine lad on the street (not a roma gypsie other waste of space) looking for a bit of money as giving to a lot of the "charities" I see around. To be honest if its used to buy a drink or whatever so what, I don't begrudge someone living on the street the bit of comfort in a drink.

I was in San Francisco a few months ago and there was a man on the street with a sign something along the lines of "Why lie, I need money for beer" needless to say he got a few dollars from me.

Giving money or clothes/blankets directly to a homeless hostel is also something that has much more chance of actually reaching the people that need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Ghandee wrote: »
    Knock knock.

Whos there ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I was in San Francisco a few months ago and there was a man on the street with a sign something along the lines of "Why lie, I need money for beer" .

Was that down on Fishermans Wharf? That guy has been there for years. Did you see the Bush man too? seriously folks if you think homelessness is an issue here, Goto San Fran (a city with a smaller population than Dublin). The Streets are thronged with homeless people. The protections here are alot better for someone down on their luck than in US.
    Yes yes we are all told in school that ALL drugs are bad. We are never told any more though or which ones are not that bad and which ones are really bad.

Unless the drugs awareness progreammes have gone seriously downhill since I was at secondary school in the late 80's and early 90's kids are told exactly which drugs are worse than others. Also any passing interest in TV aimed at that demographic deals with issues such as drug use/abuse. Nevermind the fact that (apologies for the generalisation) areas where drug use is more prevailant there are visible signs of the problems associated with it along with a local knowledge of who, when, how etc.
    When people first come in contact with drugs it is normally cannabis.
    I would wager that alot of people who become addicted is like this.
    You hear that alot but I am n ot sure there is anymore evidence for that than there is for saying tobacco is a gateway drug to hash.
    Anyway not all junkies are homeless and not all homeless are junkies.

That is true and tbh I live in the city centre and walking around homeless people (well the people you see begging who may or may not be homeless) are (in my experience) 40% drug addicts, 40% foreign and 20% other. The drug addicts are really obvious as they permanently look wrecked. The 20% are most likely the ones that could be helped but they could have other issues like mental health or alcohol problems. I have noticed a few respectable looking well spoken people (1 guy on Baggot Street in particular) that does not fit in with the general profile of the average begger.
    Also homeless people cant claim social welfair can they? They need a fixed address in order to do that as well as alot of paperwork they wouldn't have.
    AFAIK that is the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Often around Dublin city centre I see young lads in school uniform out giving out soup and sandwiches.
    And chatting away with the people they meet

Goes on at different hours of the day, sometimes at 8am and sometimes in the evening

I didn't see the crest, I don't know which school it was or if there is a few schools involved

Not now obviously, summer holidays but during the rest of the year I see them

Fair play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I've often bought a cup of tea and a sandwich, chips etc for homeless people. Usually older men - I just think that they must have the toughest time of it living on the streets. Also, when I'm buying the food, I mention to the person in the shop/restaurant that it's for a homeless person and ask if they have any food that would otherwise be going to waste that I could give them - they've usually been quite generous, particularly if it's in the evening close to closing time.

I also make sure to stop for a wee chat with them, sometimes it seems they appreciate that almost as much as the food!

I've never given cigarettes/alcohol, and very rarely money. I do feel a little guilty, as though charity should be charity and as though, instead of buying food, I should just give them the money and let them spend it as they choose - is it really my business to impose my own morals on them? But it just wouldn't sit right to me, to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Also, when I'm buying the food, I mention to the person in the shop/restaurant that it's for a homeless person and ask if they have any food that would otherwise be going to waste that I could give them - they've usually been quite generous, particularly if it's in the evening close to closing time.

I started reading that sentance and was expecting to read the business would refuse, they don't want people hanging around on their street

It's good they are generous, just my snap reaction was that it would be something else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

There are some homeless in Ireland who don't satisfy a claim for a welfare payment,this stops them getting an address often meaning they survive sleeping rough every night and feeding themselves in drop in centres.

You can still be classed as homeless while living in a hostel or short term accommodation .

Some foreign nationals don't satisfy HRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

I would always give homeless people change if I was passing, and this one particular gentleman I see would usually get a fiver. He is an elderly gentleman that is usually on Kildare street with a walking stick. I would love to know these people's stories.

When I was in college I had a summer job working in the public sector, circa 5-6 years ago. There was this one particular lad who I always got on with, first to stand up for me if others were taking advantage of the new student, first to get a round in and if you ever needed anything he wouldn't even need to be asked to help he was there. So around a year ago when I started working around Stephens green, I would see him every so often wearing scruffy clothes and unshaven having lost a lot of weight. This went on for a while until I eventually realised he was homeless. This experience puts thing into perspective for me, he came from a stable home his dad was actually my boss, he had a partner and kids and we were in a full time permanent job on around €800-1000 net a week.

So now when user him I don't know if I should stop him or let him go so as not to hurt his dignity or pride?

• Advertisement
Advertisement