Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Homeless

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I give money, always

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I give money, depending on how bad the poor person in question looks (and whether I have anything on me). No one chooses to be out on the streets, in the cold and wet. I feel very sorry for anyone in that situation, you don't know what their circumstances have been, but they deserve compassion rather than criticism or ridicule.

And there but the grace of God go I.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    I would always give homeless people change if I was passing, and this one particular gentleman I see would usually get a fiver. He is an elderly gentleman that is usually on Kildare street with a walking stick. I would love to know these people's stories.

When I was in college I had a summer job working in the public sector, circa 5-6 years ago. There was this one particular lad who I always got on with, first to stand up for me if others were taking advantage of the new student, first to get a round in and if you ever needed anything he wouldn't even need to be asked to help he was there. So around a year ago when I started working around Stephens green, I would see him every so often wearing scruffy clothes and unshaven having lost a lot of weight. This went on for a while until I eventually realised he was homeless. This experience puts thing into perspective for me, he came from a stable home his dad was actually my boss, he had a partner and kids and we were in a full time permanent job on around €800-1000 net a week.

So now when user him I don't know if I should stop him or let him go so as not to hurt his dignity or pride?

Stop and say hello. Ask him if he wants to go for a coffee or something, see if you can buy him lunch. The simple act of acknowledging him might be one of the kindest things you can do. You don't need to go into his circumstances if he doesn't want to, just say hello. I bet most people who recognise him walk past pretending they don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Unless the drugs awareness progreammes have gone seriously downhill since I was at secondary school in the late 80's and early 90's kids are told exactly which drugs are worse than others. Also any passing interest in TV aimed at that demographic deals with issues such as drug use/abuse. Nevermind the fact that (apologies for the generalisation) areas where drug use is more prevailant there are visible signs of the problems associated with it along with a local knowledge of who, when, how etc.
    I know the only talk that i got on drugs in school was when it came up in religon class and that was only a 5 mins affair.

You hear that alot but I am n ot sure there is anymore evidence for that than there is for saying tobacco is a gateway drug to hash.
    I am not saying that anything is a gateway drug. I am saying that there is a gateway effect but it is caused by probation/lack of knowledge.
    And if you want evidance for this just look at THIS afterhours tread. You will see that 77% of people have taken cannabis and 22% have taken nothing. That covers aprox 99% of sample. Therefore it is logical to say that anyone who has taken another drug has taken cannabis. It isn't a streach then to agree with what i said.
    This is offtipic though. Bringing it back

That is true and tbh I live in the city centre and walking around homeless people (well the people you see begging who may or may not be homeless) are (in my experience) 40% drug addicts, 40% foreign and 20% other. The drug addicts are really obvious as they permanently look wrecked. The 20% are most likely the ones that could be helped but they could have other issues like mental health or alcohol problems. I have noticed a few respectable looking well spoken people (1 guy on Baggot Street in particular) that does not fit in with the general profile of the average begger.
    But the 40% that are drug addicts. Did that happen before or after they became homeless???
    And even if it was before i dont see how that makes a difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

absolutely give to the homeless, true that you dont know for sure what they are gonna use the money for, but id rather give a couple of euro to give them an option to get some food rather than walk by and be a stuck up prick, 2-3 euro isnt a lot to give, but its a hell of a lot to them!!

Anyone who gives money to these lads are clueless, Take the PC brigade out and in most cases the 2-3 euro will go towards smokes, Dutch gold or drugs.

If you really want to help give food, clothes or volunteer to do some work at soup kitchens etc

Yes yes we are all told in school that ALL drugs are bad. We are never told any more though or which ones are not that bad and which ones are really bad. When people first come in contact with drugs it is normally cannabis. They take that and it has very little effect. Then people start thinking 'well maby if people were so wrong about cannabis maby there were wrong about heroin ect.

School kids are certainly told what is addictive and life changing, Most people who get into Hard drugs such as Heroin come from areas rife with Heroin and are very well in the know to what makes a junkie/zombie-they make the choice to become junkies and I have no sympathy for junkies at all.

Homeless does not equal junkies but most Homeless have mental issues and are using drink or drugs, aswell as this, in reality been homeless in most cases is a choice.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I give money to the homeless.
    I never give money to chuggers.

Homeless people = mostly sound

Chuggers = pricks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Culleeo wrote: »
    This got me thinking, yeah, he has a point in what he is saying. I'm sure the majority of homeless people are drug addicts and alcoholics but I'm sure there are genuine cases of homelessness.

Think most of us, if homeless, would take some kind of drug to block out the misery of it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

Culleeo wrote: »
    I was in Superquinn earlier and on my way out, at the exit, there was a guy collecting for the homeless. He asked the guy ahead of me "would you like to support the homeless" Guy turns around and says "no, why should I help the junkies, all them homeless take drugs, you're worse for collecting for them."
    This got me thinking, yeah, he has a point in what he is saying. I'm sure the majority of homeless people are drug addicts and alcoholics but I'm sure there are genuine cases of homelessness.

If I was homeless, I'd sure as hell get drunk or high as often as possible to mask the reality of my situation.

Of course there are genuine cases. Mental illness, a marriage break-up, an indifferent family, all these things can land you on the street fairly sharpish. As can substance abuse. But it's not the only cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I was homeless for two years, and a really good friend of mine works with them.

As was already said, a high percentage homeless people with an addiction became users after the fact. Having to sleep rough, with the wind, rain, random people kicking the shit out of you, spitting on you, looking down on you like they know your story will make anyone look for a psychological out when an opportunity to own a roof doesn't present it's self. How long that time is is down to the individual, but it is rarely long. Drink and drugs are simple and cheap ways to make the long days and even longer nights that more bearable. Once the opportunity DOES come along, it's already too late.

Mental illness is incredibly prevalent among the homeless, and I'm not talking about little Jimmy with ADHD. Drink and drugs hit these people the worst, because dealers and pushers will take advantage of them, so easy to spot if you know what to look for.

None of this "If you think IRELAND has a problem, go check out......!" Ireland does have a problem. Anywhere with a high amount of homeless has a problem. Doesn't make it any less of a problem if some place has more.

I give what I can, when I can. I know what it's like, it's not easy, and if I can help, in literally any way I can, I will.

For any one interested, look up your local homeless shelters, get the addresses and if someone "Bothers" you, give it to them. It's the quickest, easiest and most effective way to know if a homeless person is genuine or just looking for a fix.

Peace, love and rockets.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I know the only talk that i got on drugs in school was when it came up in religon class and that was only a 5 mins affair.

Maybe you went to a nicer school than me;)
    I am not saying that anything is a gateway drug. I am saying that there is a gateway effect but it is caused by probation/lack of knowledge.
    And if you want evidance for this just look at THIS afterhours tread. You will see that 77% of people have taken cannabis and 22% have taken nothing. That covers aprox 99% of sample.

While at over a 1,000 votes the poll is statistically valid I would not think that the average After Hours poster reflects society as a whole (at least I hope not). If smoking was on that poll I would imagine that >77% would have tried cigarettes but that does not make it a 'gateway effect'. There is a huge difference between smoking hash and snorting/injecting hard drugs into your system.
    But the 40% that are drug addicts. Did that happen before or after they became homeless???
    And even if it was before i dont see how that makes a difference
    I would imagine cause and effect.

I was homeless for two years, and a really good friend of mine works with them.

As was already said, a high percentage homeless people with an addiction became users after the fact. Having to sleep rough, with the wind, rain, random people kicking the shit out of you, spitting on you, looking down on you like they know your story will make anyone look for a psychological out when an opportunity to own a roof doesn't present it's self. How long that time is is down to the individual, but it is rarely long. Drink and drugs are simple and cheap ways to make the long days and even longer nights that more bearable. Once the opportunity DOES come along, it's already too late.

Mental illness is incredibly prevalent among the homeless, and I'm not talking about little Jimmy with ADHD. Drink and drugs hit these people the worst, because dealers and pushers will take advantage of them, so easy to spot if you know what to look for.

None of this "If you think IRELAND has a problem, go check out......!" Ireland does have a problem. Anywhere with a high amount of homeless has a problem. Doesn't make it any less of a problem if some place has more.

I give what I can, when I can. I know what it's like, it's not easy, and if I can help, in literally any way I can, I will.

For any one interested, look up your local homeless shelters, get the addresses and if someone "Bothers" you, give it to them. It's the quickest, easiest and most effective way to know if a homeless person is genuine or just looking for a fix.

Peace, love and rockets.

Really well said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If I see a homeless person, I feel genuinely unqualified to deal with him or her. They have needs that I don't understand (as other posters above do), and I'm concerned that just giving money could serve to perpetuate their situation rather than make a real difference in their lives.

No doubt some of you will see that as "making excuses" - this is AH, knock yourselves out - but since some of my money (via tax) is already being taken to fund "social welfare" and spent inefficiently, I need to know that if I give even more, it's going to make a real difference where it matters. Not just "kicking the can down the road", perpetuating the cycle of homelessness forever.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I feel its up to the government to give these people the tools, to bring themselves up, rather than me throwing money at them. And the fact that most homeless people turn into arseholes when you don't give them money or smokes.

Plus, I'm fairly cheap. These people made their choices, I work for my money, they can **** off.

bnt wrote: »
    If I see a homeless person, I feel genuinely unqualified to deal with him or her. They have needs that I don't understand (as other posters above do), and I'm concerned that just giving money could serve to perpetuate their situation rather than make a real difference in their lives.

Yes, this. I feel kinda helpless when I see a homeless person, as I feel I have to be a pyschiatrist, an MD, a counsellor, a paramedic all rolled into one.

Was that down on Fishermans Wharf? That guy has been there for years. Did you see the Bush man too? seriously folks if you think homelessness is an issue here, Goto San Fran (a city with a smaller population than Dublin). The Streets are thronged with homeless people. The protections here are alot better for someone down on their luck than in US.

No it was in downtown San Fran. The level of homelessness is quite an eye opener over there, not just in San Fran but in LA and San Diego too. San Fran is that bit worse though and the fact it rained continually for the 3 days I was there compared to fantastic weather in the other two cities also made it stand out more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

cowzerp wrote: »

School kids are certainly told what is addictive and life changing, Most people who get into Hard drugs such as Heroin come from areas rife with Heroin and are very well in the know to what makes a junkie/zombie-they make the choice to become junkies and I have no sympathy for junkies at all.

I work part time with homeless people and people with different types of addiction including heroin.
    I've yet to meet one who choose to become an addict.

Addiction in itself is loss of choice,you may choose to experiment not to become an addict.
    Addiction starts as experimentation,then recreation leading to habitual problematic use.

mattjack wrote: »
    I work part time with homeless people and people with different types of addiction including heroin.
    I've yet to meet one who choose to become an addict.

Addiction in itself is loss of choice,you may choose to experiment not to become an addict.
    Addiction starts as experimentation,then recreation leading to habitual problematic use.

PC bs, you inject Heroin into your veins 1st time you are making a choice to take a highly addictive drug that ruins you and your family's lifes, In the very early days of Heroin i could agree with you that maybe people just wanted a buzz and where not aware of the consequences, These days it is very clear.

I know many many Brass Monkeys and they where all very aware of the dangers and just done it anyway.

PC bs, you inject Heroin into your veins 1st time you are making a choice to take a highly addictive drug that ruins you and your family's lifes, In the very early days of Heroin i could agree with you that maybe people just wanted a buzz and where not aware of the consequences, These days it is very clear.

I know many many Brass Monkeys and they where all very aware of the dangers and just done it anyway.

A buzz of heroin ? heroin is an escape drug, it allows people relief from whatever anxieties or pain they experience in life be it the aftermath child abuse,extreme's of deprivation or whatever pain they experience in life.
    There's nothing recreational about heroin that gives a buzz.

PC bs , Brass Monkeys and junkies all they are , are standard blanket answers I'll remember those comments when I see an addict with a dual diagnosis alongside his homelessness with an institutionalised background .

You may know some addicts , but you really don't know why they took heroin in the first place.

A buzz of heroin ? heroin is an escape drug, it allows people relief from whatever anxieties or pain they experience in life be it the aftermath child abuse,extreme's of deprivation or whatever pain they experience in life.
    There's nothing recreational about heroin that gives a buzz.

I know many Heroine addicts and they where always looking for a buzz, may have been an E at a rave or an Acid at a party, I've never met any that took it as they where feeling sad, obviously it's a possibility but All i knew where looking for a buzz and if you think you don't get a buzz/high off Heroin then your clueless, Close mates have mine have died due to this drug and they done it for the craic at 1st, but we'll go with your pc line and say they must have been abused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

That shows a very poor insight into addictive states and their aetiology, there are many mechanisms involved in the development of various addictions, and basing it as a mere choice is BS, just as much as labelling anything that disagrees with that opinion as PC.

What is it about addiction that facilitates the use of such drugs and a minimisation of the consequences? In fact continued use despite ongoing personal and social consequences is a criterion for the diagnosis of addiction, rather than the use of substances in and of itself. There is so much more to addiction than the use of drugs.

If it is just a choice why do people make that choice? Does this not imply that there is something more to it than that? I could even put a number on the amount of addicts I have worked with over the years; I have never dealt with such a case where addiction is such a choice.

Thankfully these types of opinions belong to a time long gone; we understand a bit more about addiction today. Treatment in Ireland has a lot of ground to still cover, but we are moving forward and treating people better that we were 20 years ago

• Advertisement

I know many Heroine addicts and they where always looking for a buzz, may have been an E at a rave or an Acid at a party, I've never met any that took it as they where feeling sad, obviously it's a possibility but All i knew where looking for a buzz and if you think you don't get a buzz/high off Heroin then your clueless, Close mates have mine have died due to this drug and they done it for the craic at 1st, but we'll go with your pc line and say they must have been abused.

Heroin is an opiate , a pain killer.. not a stimulant no comparison to acid or E , first time users often experience vomiting,effects on the nervous system i.e suppresses breathing and the heart beat.
    There is no buzz or euphoria , its an escape drug because they can't experience pleasure like a non addicted person.
    The 'high' you see or an addict experiences is 'goofing off' , not good to look at.

I haven't called you clueless or your comments BS and I would imagine if I did ,I would be censured very quickly.

The 'high' you see or an addict experiences is 'goofing off' , not good to look at.

I haven't called you clueless or your comments BS and I would imagine if I did ,I would be censured very quickly.

doesn't matter what it looks like, it only matters what they experience, aswell as that your only looking at it from an addicted point of view, I'm coming at it from before addiction, I guess you are from an are that does not have a massive heroin problem and your experiences with junkies are when there already hooked, Mates of mine have gone from drug to drug till they became zombies so i have seen it from scratch, by your reasoning i severely doubt you have,

This is after hours not personal issues, I'm calling you clueless because i believe you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭redandwhite

I don't think many people realise how close a lot of people are too being homeless. A run of bad luck and most of us could end up on the street.

I don't think many people realise how close a lot of people are too being homeless. A run of bad luck and most of us could end up on the street.

Yeah there are a lot of people in significant trouble out there. As you said they might get past one, two or even three setbacks; but if life really messes with them, it won't take much.

Odysseus wrote: »
    That shows a very poor insight into addictive states and their aetiology, there are many mechanisms involved in the development of various addictions, and basing it as a mere choice is BS, just as much as labelling anything that disagrees with that opinion as PC.

What is it about addiction that facilitates the use of such drugs and a minimisation of the consequences? In fact continued use despite ongoing personal and social consequences is a criterion for the diagnosis of addiction, rather than the use of substances in and of itself. There is so much more to addiction than the use of drugs.

If it is just a choice why do people make that choice? Does this not imply that there is something more to it than that? I could even put a number on the amount of addicts I have worked with over the years; I have never dealt with such a case where addiction is such a choice.

Thankfully these types of opinions belong to a time long gone; we understand a bit more about addiction today. Treatment in Ireland has a lot of ground to still cover, but we are moving forward and treating people better that we were 20 years ago

I was hoping you might make your way into this thread. I've dealt with addicts, and been one myself (Not heroin, other crap). Feeling the reason and understand it are completely different, it's something I'm always trying to figure out.

I was hoping you might make your way into this thread. I've dealt with addicts, and been one myself (Not heroin, other crap). Feeling the reason and understand it are completely different, it's something I'm always trying to figure out.

Though I would be the first to acknowledge how complex things like addiction are, I generally avoid these type of threads due to the generalisations and ignorance displayed in them.

Could you expand on your last sentence in that post, as I couldn't fully understand it.

doesn't matter what it looks like, it only matters what they experience, aswell as that your only looking at it from an addicted point of view, I'm coming at it from before addiction, I guess you are from an are that does not have a massive heroin problem and your experiences with junkies are when there already hooked, Mates of mine have gone from drug to drug till they became zombies so i have seen it from scratch, by your reasoning i severely doubt you have,

This is after hours not personal issues, I'm calling you clueless because i believe you are.

That's a very simple one dimensional opinion , you're basing it on a few friends ...I can do that , I can list off friends and family members who are addicted , were addicted and who are now dead.
    Did your friends die from overdose,blood borne virus,suicide or murder ?.

Where I'm from is irrelevant , but I'm from the city centre originally,lived in Crumlin for a while, then Leixlip and then Finglas.

By your rationale and of course this is AH anyone one who disagrees with you is clueless and their opinion is BS so I'll leave it with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

When I lived in Toronto there was a well known homeless man, he was a big laywer who went bankrupt, his wife left him and he ended up getting into drugs wile living on the streets. Everyone knew him because he wore and old beat out suit. He ended up going mental then spitting at people and all
    Point being, you have no idea why people end up on the streets, and an awful lot of people end up turning to drugs to make being homelessness a bit more bearable. In some places once you hit the streets thats it, no address to claim benefits then and no way of getting on your feet, or there are those that are simply too proud to ask for help.

Giving them food/tea is always welcome i find.

It is simply not true that homeless people cannot claim benefits.In fact most of them are on disability allowance, hence the bus pass.

Though I would be the first to acknowledge how complex things like addiction are, I generally avoid these type of threads due to the generalisations and ignorance displayed in them.

Could you expand on your last sentence in that post, as I couldn't fully understand it.

Yeah, reading it there didn't make a whole lot of sense. When I was homeless, I ended up becoming an addict. Trying to understand my reasons for it, the desperation despite knowing it could make things a lot worse. Screws with your head, trying to make sense of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

Anyone who gives money to these lads are clueless, Take the PC brigade out and in most cases the 2-3 euro will go towards smokes, Dutch gold or drugs.

Homeless does not equal junkies but most Homeless have mental issues and are using drink or drugs, aswell as this, in reality been homeless in most cases is a choice.

So you wouldnt give them an option to get some food with the money? why are you so certain that the money will go on these instead of food? dont get me wrong ive seen homeless people with cans and smokes and probably even drugs but you seem adamant that it will go on the above so you thats excuse for not throwing them a few euro, thats fine you dont have to give them anything, what im saying is id like to give them the option of food,

Taking homeless as a choice is a ridiculous statement to make, you're telling me the homeless people choose to be homeless ? offer one a bed in your home then see does he/her take you up on the offer if your so certain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

absolutely give to the homeless
    Do a €5 direct-debit to a charity such as the Simon community, then.

Any money the homeless people get goes towards drink and drugs. And why should they stop when they keep getting money? The best thing is to give the people on the street nothing, as this will force them into the homeless shelters, whose purpose is to help these people get back onto their feet.

That's a very simple one dimensional opinion , you're basing it on a few friends ...I can do that , I can list off friends and family members who are addicted , were addicted and who are now dead.
    Did your friends die from overdose,blood borne virus,suicide or murder ?.

How they died is irrelevant, My point is they started Heroine for the craic, And a few friends is a major downplay too!

Look your right and I am wrong, people who try Heroin are looking for an escape from abuse and not for a kick!

They where just having a kick along the way on other things trying to find this ultimate escape :rolleyes:

Taking homeless as a choice is a ridiculous statement to make, you're telling me the homeless people choose to be homeless ? offer one a bed in your home then see does he/her take you up on the offer if your so certain

been made homeless is not easy, don't pay your rent ever and you will still not be made homeless, Most people who end up homeless have mental issues, some from addictions others natural, once your Homeless it is harder to get back on the housing etc but nobody just gets dumped on the streets in this day and age, even if thrown out of your home you can be looked after if you want to be.

Yeah, reading it there didn't make a whole lot of sense. When I was homeless, I ended up becoming an addict. Trying to understand my reasons for it, the desperation despite knowing it could make things a lot worse. Screws with your head, trying to make sense of it.

Sometimes it takes years to get an understanding, something our understanding of the reasons change over time too. I do believe it is very important to look back and examin the reasons; however, it is just as important to focus on the present and future too, acknowledging that things are no longer like that. If that makes any sense.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

The Later Drug users have plenty of examples before them of what Drugs can do and why they follow is hard to figure out .Why after more than three decades are they still doing drugs out there ?

paddyandy wrote: »
    The Later Drug users have plenty of examples before them of what Drugs can do and why they follow is hard to figure out .Why after more than three decades are they still doing drugs out there ?

Logically thinking you're spot on, But most these people have been chasing a high for years and will take anything which will give them a high, they all think they won't get hooked

Even most ex Junkies will tell you they where just after a buzz and it got out of hand, This junk of people trying to escape there life is just not the case, maybe there is cases but most are just people looking to get out of their faces and get hooked.

Absolute idiots it has to be said anyone in this day and age who try's heroine.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Trying to escape the settings around them of reckless abandon and crime and seeing no other way ? Anxieties ..very good for a lot of industries and professions .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I have never seen any homeless person eating. That might sound a bit of an odd thing to say, but you never see a homeless person holding a sandwich. plenty of them with cheap larger or cheap smokes.

Logically thinking you're spot on, But most these people have been chasing a high for years and will take anything which will give them a high, they all think they won't get hooked

Even most ex Junkies will tell you they where just after a buzz and it got out of hand, This junk of people trying to escape there life is just not the case, maybe there is cases but most are just people looking to get out of their faces and get hooked.

Absolute idiots it has to be said anyone in this day and age who try's heroine.

I have never come across a case of addiction that is just down to boredom, that is plain idocity, and I have worked with thoudsand of addicts; active and recovering.

Even chasing a high is more compkex than that, if addiction was just a result of boredom, I and other professionals would not spend thousands of hours providing psychological treatment, or developing complex thrid level training in the treatment of addictive states.

Private treatment facilities which cost more that e13,000 treat addictive states, treat much more that just boredom. There are no simplistic answers to complex pathologies like addiction.

• Advertisement

I have never come across a case of addiction that is just down to boredom, that is plain idocity, and I have worked with thoudsand of addicts; active and recovering.

Funny because i never mentioned Boredom, you don't have to be bored to want to chase a high!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

I always give to the homeless as i was briefly homeless my-self. Don't care if they buy a beer with it. Will give them something to escape from their horrid situation for even a short period.

the_syco wrote: »
    Do a €5 direct-debit to a charity such as the Simon community, then.

Any money the homeless people get goes towards drink and drugs. And why should they stop when they keep getting money? The best thing is to give the people on the street nothing, as this will force them into the homeless shelters, whose purpose is to help these people get back onto their feet.

but what if you want to help to that person directly? a 5 euro DD isnt going to help that person there and then and whos to say that it would help that person at all? that person could be without food for maybe a couple of days even if you did it that way, give the cash directly to the person and try to help them directly rather that give to an organisation and hope that that person would benifit from it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

I can't imagine half the pain anybody would experience that would cause their life to take a direction that would result in them being addicted to whatever substance. But I do believe that this thread has taken a direction, in certain posts, that would make somebody assume that the majority of homeless cases are drink or drug related. I hope to God, I never have to experience the circumstances that causes an individual to result in being without a home, or as some may say in not such a direct way, dignity. It could happen to anyone. I think it just takes somebody to take a wrong direction for it to continue going wrong. I firmly believe that nobody choose's to be homeless, its just some people find that when life gets too tough and, if you have enough set backs in life, then certain escapes become a reality. Thats what makes each and eyeryone of us individual. Sometimes we make our own choice, other times, sh**it just happens.

been made homeless is not easy, don't pay your rent ever and you will still not be made homeless, Most people who end up homeless have mental issues, some from addictions others natural, once your Homeless it is harder to get back on the housing etc but nobody just gets dumped on the streets in this day and age, even if thrown out of your home you can be looked after if you want to be.

So you are saying poverty and unemployement have nothing to do with it so? let alone the children and adults that have been affected by physical or sexual abuse and cant go home

So you are saying poverty and unemployement have nothing to do with it so? let alone the children and adults that have been affected by physical or sexual abuse and cant go home

when did i say this! you seriously think a child that can't go home cant get help-or someone who can't afford rent? nobody gets dumped on the streets, sure 1 of my mates family did not pay rent for 8 years to be evicted, me poor mate ended up living in a 6 room mansion for about a fiver a week.

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=cowzerp;80442513]been made homeless is not easy, don't pay your rent ever and you will still not be made homeless, Most people who end up homeless have mental issues, some from addictions others natural, once your Homeless it is harder to get back on the housing etc but nobody just gets dumped on the streets in this day and age, even if thrown out of your home you can be looked after if you want to be.[/QUOTE]
    when did i say this! you seriously think a child that can't go home cant get help-or someone who can't afford rent? nobody gets dumped on the streets, sure 1 of my mates family did not pay rent for 8 years to be evicted, me poor mate ended up living in a 6 room mansion for about a fiver a week.

More or less said in top post, and yes there are homeless children who might be on the streets for a couple of weeks before they get help, but how are they to survive while they are on the streets on their own, people are evicted and left on the streets whether you like to believe it or not it happens!

Funny because i never mentioned Boredom, you don't have to be bored to want to chase a high!

Did you not? My mistake then. However, still a very simplictic perspective, why are these people chasing a high? Why do they engage in high risk behaviours like drug when there are other options available. Same thing addiction is about much more than the mere ingestation of substances. The addicted behaviour is present long before the person becomes dependent on the drug.

In other words as you put why are people "looking to get out of their faces"? Its not just for the "craic" if addiction was this easy to understand treatment would be a lot more easy. I don't claim to have the answers as I find when you explore a persons history the are many different reasons for them ending up addicted.

You have to be careful with the area of abuse, actually it is very common within addiction; but it would be a mistake to assume that is the case with all addicts. However, you won't find many people who are happy with their lives getting caught up with any form of addiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Yeh I do give to the homeless. Every story is individual and I haven't a clue whether it's because they *chose* to go down the route that resulted in homelessness. plus, I'm lucky enough to come from a comfortable background so it would be disingenuous of me, to say the least, to just decide they had the same chances, choices etc in life as I had. Plus, "there but for the grace..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

absolutely give to the homeless, true that you dont know for sure what they are gonna use the money for, but id rather give a couple of euro to give them an option to get some food rather than walk by and be a stuck up prick, 2-3 euro isnt a lot to give, but its a hell of a lot to them!!
    Hold on a second. You Can't say that anyone who passes a person begging without giving them money is a stuck up prick. I live in Dublin city centre and walk around it a lot, to and from work, shopping, socializing etc Every day i pass many many homeless people, junkies, wineos etc. I don't make much money, i cannot afford to be handing out multiple 2/3 euros every morning and evening for these people to buy drink drugs and food, i.need to buy my own drink drugs and food.i also need to pay rent and bills. So kindly don't guilt trip me because Im not muther fücking Teresa

However, still a very simplictic perspective, why are these people chasing a high?

For the same reason people drink, most are just looking for a good time-when you grow up in a drugs culture it's not that big a deal to dabble.

The smart ones don't.

• Advertisement
Advertisement