Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Homeless

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

Hold on a second. You Can't say that anyone who passes a person begging without giving them money is a stuck up prick. I live in Dublin city centre and walk around it a lot, to and from work, shopping, socializing etc Every day i pass many many homeless people, junkies, wineos etc. I don't make much money, i cannot afford to be handing out multiple 2/3 euros every morning and evening for these people to buy drink drugs and food, i.need to buy my own drink drugs and food.i also need to pay rent and bills. So kindly don't guilt trip me because Im not muther fücking Teresa

only give if you can afford to give, i never said you should put yourself out of pocket, there are lots of people with expendable cash that could give and choose not to, the fact that it made you feel guilty i believe that you would give if you had expendable cash to flaunt but you dont so dont feel bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I used to give money to people if they asked, until one day I went to give someone change and he mugged me at needle point (a few years back). After that, I'd either have a euro sitting in my pocket, or I'd say no all together.

A few months ago, an elderly man (about 67, I'd say) asked me around by Store Street Garda Station if I had any change for a cup of coffee. I had two euro in my pocket, so gave that to him. I fully expected him to spend it on alcohol or something, to be honest.

He was extremely grateful and apologised for stopping me and said that he really appreciated it. I said it was grand, and wandered off around the corner to meet a friend. 2 or 3 minutes later, I was back there and who was coming out of a newsagent's only the old man with a cup of coffee. I was shocked he'd actually bought it tbh. So off I trotted into the shop, and bought two sandwiches, a bottle of water and a bar of chocolate, chased him down the road and gave them to him. Anyone who's genuine, I'll help if I can. The poor man started crying with gratitude. Lovely old man. Made my week to be able to help someone like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

I always give money to the homeless. I don't care what they do with it, I'm just happy for them to have a temporary reprieve from the hell they're going through

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

Odysseus wrote: »
    I don't claim to have the answers as I find when you explore a persons history the are many different reasons for them ending up addicted.

All the different reasons you speak of are only excuses.

The only reason people end up addicted and remain addicted is because of the deep pleasure in taking the drug. The pleasure may fade over time and the drug may cause negative effects but it's still the pleasure that is the reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

People end up homeless for all sorts of reasons. Thankfully I can only imagine what it must be like for anyone sleeping rough. Many of them will be forced into prostituting themselves just to survive. Society views the homeless as the lowest of the low, which in my opinion is very wrong. Yes many homeless people will turn to drugs or alcohol but what you have to ask yourself is what would you do if you were in their shoes? Would you not need some kind of escape from that kind of existence?

A society can be judged on how it treats its most vulnerable, those that have a voice have a moral obligation to speak for those that have none, not to do so is unthinkable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

A society can be judged on how it treats its most vulnerable, those that have a voice have a moral obligation to speak for those that have none, not to do so is unthinkable.

On that one we are already guilty as charged. I refer you to the scandal that is the conditions that have come out about some old folks homes, the amount of children who have died in the last 10 years under the states care, the treatment of the poor unfortunates that were sent to industrial schools, the failure of our education system for large portions of our population, waiting times in A&E departments, nevermind what the churches did.

We have a rotten society and homeless people are unfortunately not the worst victims of it

That is all very true and it is important that as a society we don't marginalise the needs of any of the more vulnerable members of that society, whatever their circumstances or backgrounds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

But we do and we continue to do it.

There was a nursing home closed down only last weeks. There are still children under stae care in troubles, A&E is still a nightmare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

the_syco wrote: »
    Do a €5 direct-debit to a charity such as the Simon community, then.

Any money the homeless people get goes towards drink and drugs. And why should they stop when they keep getting money? The best thing is to give the people on the street nothing, as this will force them into the homeless shelters, whose purpose is to help these people get back onto their feet.

A 5 euro a month direct debit is a wonderful commitment to make , I can honestly tell you where I work something like that is really valued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

personaly speaking knowing the sheer danger,awful enviroment,lack of hope and low quality of life genuine homeless people may have can see why many turn to drugs and in own view dont blame them if they cant cope and they see no other way out.

its so easy to judge a group of people without knowing them,and without them here to back themselves up-or even worse we get the attention seeking muppets pretending to be homeless speaking for them.

have seen some programmes which say the homeless living becomes a way of life to some and they feel like they can never live anywhere else,its like institutionalism in a way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Culleeo wrote: »
    I was in Superquinn earlier and on my way out, at the exit, there was a guy collecting for the homeless. He asked the guy ahead of me "would you like to support the homeless" Guy turns around and says "no, why should I help the junkies, all them homeless take drugs, you're worse for collecting for them."
    This got me thinking, yeah, he has a point in what he is saying. I'm sure the majority of homeless people are drug addicts and alcoholics but I'm sure there are genuine cases of homelessness.
    Anytime I'm in around town, I will either buy at least one homeless person something to eat or else I will give them a few euro. I know in my heart of hearts when I hand them money, it will go on drink or drugs. The way I look at it though, is that if I give them money, it may prevent them robbing someone or breaking in to a house to get the money to feed their habit.
    My heart does go out to them. I hate seeing it, I know the majority of these people have brought it on themselves but anyone could get caught up in the grip of addiction.
    Do ye give money to the homeless or do ye think along the lines of the guy giving out in Superquinn.
    You're human, pat on the back. Its hard to see so many people begging and not be affected by it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

ooooo i have just thought of a 'joke'.

What is the difference between a homeless person and a prison or war?
    under the geneva convention a prison of war is entitled to food, shelter and medical care

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Rocket19

One night I was in town waiting for my friend. She was running a bit late, so I just stood outside Spar waiting for her. There was a few people around waiting for buses, etc.

Anyway, this guy was going around asking for change "to buy a roll". I refused, partly because I thought "yeah right, a roll", and also because I'm usually quite cautious (and feel awkward) about giving money. I did feel quite bad though, because basically everyone said no, it was a cold, rainy night, and the guy looked genuinely really down and sad. Just then, a girl about my age gave him some money, he went straight into Spar, and came back out with a roll. He went back over to the girl, and said "thank you so much".

Needless to say, I felt like SUCH a tw*t. It really bothered me that I was so quick to judge and reluctant to help him (as were many others). I think when you spend a lot of time in the city though, you get desensitised to homeless people. I think we often hear stories about scams, career beggars, etc, and it can colour our view.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭MusicalMelody

I wouldn't hand money directly to a homeless person i'd rather buy them something to eat (which i have done on many occasion). Although i wouldn't have a problem giving money to a charity which i know will spend the money on the necessities for these people.

I wouldn't hand money directly to a homeless person i'd rather buy them something to eat (which i have done on many occasion). Although i wouldn't have a problem giving money to a charity which i know will spend the money on the necessities for these people.

The problem is that so many of the charities for the homeless/poor pay their senior staff/directors obscenely large salaries. I'd rather give the money to the person. I'd rather they have the choice on how to spend it than pay for somebody's company Jaguar.

The problem is that so many of the charities for the homeless/poor pay their senior staff/directors obscenely large salaries. I'd rather give the money to the person. I'd rather they have the choice on how to spend it than pay for somebody's company Jaguar.

You could always volunteer your time.You might have a skill or a talent that a charity might be able to use.

Funnily enough due to the large amount of people out of work it is actually hard enough to volunteer your time. I tried 4 places before doing a few bits and pieces with Barnardo's. Some of the orgs are overun with volunteers.
    This was 2 years ago though so maybe things have changed

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Funnily enough due to the large amount of people out of work it is actually hard enough to volunteer your time. I tried 4 places before doing a few bits and pieces with Barnardo's. Some of the orgs are overun with volunteers.
    This was 2 years ago though so maybe things have changed

I was humouring Pumpkinseeds, but you are actually right volunteer positions are often in demand nowadays,sometimes placements from colleges volunteer when they finish their placement,other times retired workers stay on and do some voluntary work.
    Where I work volunteers are asked to commit for a year preferably two days a week, all this after an interview ,Garda vetting and a two day induction course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

On that one we are already guilty as charged. I refer you to the scandal that is the conditions that have come out about some old folks homes, the amount of children who have died in the last 10 years under the states care, the treatment of the poor unfortunates that were sent to industrial schools, the failure of our education system for large portions of our population, waiting times in A&E departments, nevermind what the churches did.

We have a rotten society and homeless people are unfortunately not the worst victims of it

I've done a bit of voluntary work with a homeless charity over the years and guess what?....many of the homeless people I've come across are those who were turfed out of state care when they became 'adults', many of the older homeless in Dublin went through our industrial schools and never recovered from the trauma, many were abused by parents/foster parents/church/teachers etc etc that they ran away from home at a young age, many homeless were raised by junkie/alcoholic/abusive parents and yes many of these are now junkies or alcoholics, but what chance did these people really get from society?

so i guess my point is from my experiences working with homeless people the most consistent factor i see is that they are the victims of society and deserve better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

should people working for charities not be paid?
    i dont have an issue with the CEO of a charity employing hundreds of people earning a large salary assuming he/she is doing a good job and is suitably qualified.

if you want to earn an obscene salary working for a charity is not the way to go unless you're the CEO and then you'll be earning it. The board & chairpersons of any homeless charities i know of are all voluntary unpaid positions and are usually very generous benefactors to these charities.

Fook sake this country is paying idiot TD's obscene salaries, idiot former TD's obscene pensions, thousands of civil & public service middle management pencil pushers obscene salaries.... we have librarians in Dublin earning more that the Spanish Prime Minister....these are the obscene salaries we should be moaning about not the salaries competent senior mgt in charities are earning for a hard and thankless job well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Not all homeless people take drugs...

Their was a person living up by me she was mad in the head and kinda homeless but yet she had a Master in UCC and she was a Head Nurse in a Private Hospital that was Ran by the Nuns. but over time she lost her mind..

Some peoples Marriages break down and they become homeless as a result no where to live, nor not enough money to rent.

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

Was reading about a bunch of students; during the week one of em pissed in the face if a sleeping homeless. Much to their amusement.. turned my stomach.

I'd be the guy who had to catch up with em having stopped to talk with him a bit. Not that they'd wait up.. not that they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    A homeless person doesn't deserve any less respect or help just because they live on the streets. Yes, some are drug addicts, but not all of them. And even if they are, so what? They are still HUMAN BEINGS in a vulnerable situation and should be helped as much as possible.
    GTFO... When some junkie is harassing me for a "few eurah buuddd" then yes, they don't deserve as much respect as everybody else. Help as much as possible? There are far more people in need of help than these scourges of society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I'm not from Ireland originally but I don't understand the homeless problem here. I don't mean this to be disrespectful; I just don't understand it.

I've been told that Ireland has a very generous welfare system? I've even heard people say/complain that collecting the dole pays roughly the same as working some entry-level jobs.

If these programs exist - why are people living on the streets? Are they illegal immigrants who don't qualify for these programs?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

UCDVet wrote: »
    I'm not from Ireland originally but I don't understand the homeless problem here. I don't mean this to be disrespectful; I just don't understand it.

I've been told that Ireland has a very generous welfare system? I've even heard people say/complain that collecting the dole pays roughly the same as working some entry-level jobs.

If these programs exist - why are people living on the streets? Are they illegal immigrants who don't qualify for these programs?

I think you have to have an address to claim on the social, open to correction here though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

This thread somewhat confuses junkies with homeless people,if the topic is on the young people being homeless then F them,especially those who go around looking for a euro or two,these are trash and they choose this lifestyle.
    Then theres small percentage maybe few really unlucky who got into gambling,alcohol that lead them to lose their life and end up on the street,and they do need help,but in terms of rehab and social centers,where they could be integrated back into society.And as above poster said im not irish here,but Irish welfare system is so generous in terms of welfare starting from home heating,rent allowance,and welfare,that nobody should be sleeping on the street.there are studios going for rent for less than 100e a week,find a place where they serve food once a day and you can at least look for some sort of job.

scamalert wrote: »
    This thread somewhat confuses junkies with homeless people,if the topic is on the young people being homeless then F them,especially those who go around looking for a euro or two,these are trash and they choose this lifestyle.
    Then theres small percentage maybe few really unlucky who got into gambling,alcohol that lead them to lose their life and end up on the street,and they do need help,but in terms of rehab and social centers,where they could be integrated back into society.And as above poster said im not irish here,but Irish welfare system is so generous in terms of welfare starting from home heating,rent allowance,and welfare,that nobody should be sleeping on the street.there are studios going for rent for less than 100e a week,find a place where they serve food once a day and you can at least look for some sort of job.

We must be doing something wrong here in Ireland, maybe you should get a job with one of our homeless charities and show us how to fix our homeless problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I suggest immediate interviews for all the homeless, and the issuing of badges for those deemed "genuine". That way all the feckin moralistic high horse brigadeers could give those ones a few bob for a cup of tea and not dent their high standards.
    Badge or no badge, If I've change in my pocket I give it to them, there but for the grace of God go all of us. Who the feck would "choose" to be homeless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

How do we differentiate between beggars (like the Roma) and genuinely homeless people?

Pottler wrote: »
    I suggest immediate interviews for all the homeless, and the issuing of badges for those deemed "genuine". That way all the feckin moralistic high horse brigadeers could give those ones a few bob for a cup of tea and not dent their high standards.
    Badge or no badge, If I've change in my pocket I give it to them, there but for the grace of God go all of us. Who the feck would "choose" to be homeless?

Good idea. Maybe we couild use badges for all sorts of reasons. Like if you are an asylum seeker a black badge or if you are a drug addict a purple badge. Lets keep going and give blue badge to those not born in Ireland and a orange badge to anyone who dares to be not Catholic. How bout a red badge for left wingers and brown badge for right wingers. And if you have any non Irish relatives maybe a yellow badge?
    In fact why badges at all when we can tattoo people??

Ridiculous comment

• Advertisement

Good idea. Maybe we couild use badges for all sorts of reasons. Like if you are an asylum seeker a black badge or if you are a drug addict a purple badge. Lets keep going and give blue badge to those not born in Ireland and a orange badge to anyone who dares to be not Catholic. How bout a red badge for left wingers and brown badge for right wingers. And if you have any non Irish relatives maybe a yellow badge?

Ridiculous comment

I think Mr. Pottler is being sarcastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Ridiculous comment

Tattoos might be too permanent - what if the non Catholic became a Catholic or moved to the right of the political spectrum?

What about left wing non Catholic drug addicted asylum seekers? Would they have 4 badges or a badge with 4 colors?

Who would pay for all of these badges?

How would we prevent the illegal trading or sale of badges?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Ridiculous comment

I'm not sure how ridiculous it is. I've seen plenty of homeless/beggars with signs that try to indicate exactly what the previous poster was suggesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I remember dropping into Centra to buy coffee for a homeless dude a few years ago. He had no problem sending me straight back in to fetch him two sugars. If I didn't take two my self I might have had an issue with doing that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

smokedeels wrote: »
    I remember dropping into Centra to buy coffee for a homeless dude a few years ago. He had no problem sending me straight back in to fetch him two sugars. If I didn't take two my self I might have had an issue with doing that.

Sugar is very unhealthy. He will probably get worms. How are you helping someone by poisoning them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Am i right in thinking that there should be no homeless people in dublin?

Not being smart but i think i heard on the radio that there are enough beds in dublin hostels etc to cater for every homeless person but there is a hardcore element who refuse this and choose to stay on the streets.

Feel free to rip this theory to shreds if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

My own pure speculation would be - some people might be charged for it, some of these might be banned from entering certain hostels or whatever, or bad behavior or what have you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

For people who think that there are genuine homeless and then junkies/alcoholics.

There's an article I read yesterday about a program that Ross Kemp did on Glasgow.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/sep/23/kevin-mckenna-ross-kemp-glasgow?INTCMP=SRCH

Gillian had been without a hearth for six years, during which time she slept under a motorway intersection by day and worked as a street girl at night to feed her drug habit and that of her pimp. Such an existence became inevitable as soon as an older male relative began injecting her with heroin as a nine-year-old for the purposes of softening her up for sexual abuse. He had convinced her that she had diabetes and that the injections contained insulin.

There was no self-pity in Gillian's voice, nor was there any bitterness or anger, and this was more shocking than anything else. For this was the hand she had been dealt and her job was simply to reach the end of her day and be fit to start a new one. If she had a dream, it was to be reunited with her children and resume being a caring mother to them.

You don't know why homeless people are on the streets. I have no difficulty giving to homeless charities. I don't give to beggars as a rule because beggar does not mean homeless. The only time I give to beggars is when I actually see them on the street sleeping/camping out.

mfceiling wrote: »

Not being smart but i think i heard on the radio that there are enough beds in dublin hostels etc to cater for every homeless person but there is a hardcore element who refuse this and choose to stay on the streets.

No , I don't think you're being smart.... there is a criteria that classifys people as being homeless and that criteria includes living in 'homeless hostels' as well people living in temporary accommodation, HSE housing etc, even living on a friends sofa for a time can classify you as homeless...

Regarding the 'hostels' , they are not for the faint hearted , some people just cant stay in them, these people are actual 'rough sleepers' as such and they can be have a variety of reasons for staying on the streets including psychiatric illness, chronic alcohol/drug problems etc.There are 'wet' hostels though.

The annual rough sleeper count is around about now , I think.I think though be wrong , that about 170 people actually sleep on the streets.

You may be right regarding the fact the there are 'enough' beds for everyone, but some individuals are so entrenched in rough sleeping that getting them sleep indoors often needs a huge amount of effort and support.

There are some people who don't satisfy HRC and qualify for a payment or criteria for accommodation and find accessing any accommodation nearly impossible.

I find it saddening when I read the utter hatred some people have for those who have been much less fortunate than themselves.

There are a lot of people on the streets as a result of drugs or alcohol. There are people who are on the streets because they moved to Dublin and failed the big city and had nowhere else to go. There are so many reasons.

I knew a girl who was homeless because her father and brothers abused her and her mother disowned her when she tried to tell her. I know a woman who was a single mother with two kids, receiving rent allowance, her landlord evicted her as they were selling the house, she had nowhere to go and could not find anyone to accept rent allowance, the council placed her at her two children in a homeles b&b, she was not allowed to lock the room from the inside and had to move a chest of drawers in front of the door each night as she was afraid someone would come into the room. This woman was also abused as a child. Her father was in prison. She had to be out of the b&b between 10am and 6pm each day and noone was allowed to visit her in the evenings.

My father worked voluntarilty for the simon community, a charity for whom i still raise money, he's heard the stories and they're not all junkies and low lifes.

I give money to those who I think are genuine, if I lived on the streets I'd probably want a drink too. There was one older man, a good number of years ago, outside my job, I was walking into the shop and saw him picking up cigarette butts from the ground to see if he could get a drag off one. I went into the shop, bought him a roll, a cup of tea, and 20 John player blue. The man nearly cried when I handed them to him, the cigarettes that was, he said it was the nicest thing anyone has ever done, most people judge him and won't give him money incase that's what he spends it on, I say who cares, if it gives him some happiness in his otherwise sh*tty life, who am I to look down on him for that. I'll never forget the gratefulness in that man's sad eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

mfceiling wrote: »

the hostels here you run the risk of being in one room with bunks w/ blood/excrement stained sheets n about 10 junkie skangers who know each other only too well, so they can be worse than prison. Far cry from the practical 4-star hotels in say london

Personally I'd opt for an office block in development, or down an alley or anywhere I didn't feel under threat from being seen as a homeless person / blasted with piss

• Registered Users Posts: 22 fluffymuffy

I was on the Luas one night on the way home and a guy behind me was counting out all the change he had made begging that night. He told people sitting opposite him that he makes about €400 at the weekend begging, lives in a council house, gets social security and is a heroin addict. He was very honest about it, but it totally put me off giving to anyone begging on the street, as have those very aggressive beggars at the Luas stops. Give your money to homeless charities, they go out everynight giving out food to the homeless. Fair play to them, don't think I could do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Years ago I was going to evening mass in Blackrock. A guy aged about fifty asked me for money for food for himself and his son. He said they had got off the ferry at Dun Laoghaire, and were going down the country. I gave him some cash. As I was walking home after mass I saw them sitting on steps eating burgers and chips. I was happy.
    Sometimes people who ask for help need help.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭DonLimon

I doubt that all homeless folk are junkies, many are there because of addiction or mental illness either pre-existing or developed from living on the streets.

One thing that annoys me is people saying that we should take back the ghost estates to house the homeless. As if herding people with these serious problems into some kind of a ghetto with no public amenities, running water or electricity makes us all cool social activists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

DonLimon wrote: »
    I doubt that all homeless folk are junkies, many are there because of addiction or mental illness either pre-existing or developed from living on the streets.

One thing that annoys me is people saying that we should take back the ghost estates to house the homeless. As if herding people with these serious problems into some kind of a ghetto with no public amenities, running water or electricity makes us all cool social activists.

In fairness its worked in Baltimore to an extent but we need a maverick like Bunny Colvin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

I find it saddening when I read the utter hatred some people have for those who have been much less fortunate than themselves.

There are a lot of people on the streets as a result of drugs or alcohol. There are people who are on the streets because they moved to Dublin and failed the big city and had nowhere else to go. There are so many reasons.

I knew a girl who was homeless because her father and brothers abused her and her mother disowned her when she tried to tell her. I know a woman who was a single mother with two kids, receiving rent allowance, her landlord evicted her as they were selling the house, she had nowhere to go and could not find anyone to accept rent allowance, the council placed her at her two children in a homeles b&b, she was not allowed to lock the room from the inside and had to move a chest of drawers in front of the door each night as she was afraid someone would come into the room. This woman was also abused as a child. Her father was in prison. She had to be out of the b&b between 10am and 6pm each day and noone was allowed to visit her in the evenings.

My father worked voluntarilty for the simon community, a charity for whom i still raise money, he's heard the stories and they're not all junkies and low lifes.

I give money to those who I think are genuine, if I lived on the streets I'd probably want a drink too. There was one older man, a good number of years ago, outside my job, I was walking into the shop and saw him picking up cigarette butts from the ground to see if he could get a drag off one. I went into the shop, bought him a roll, a cup of tea, and 20 John player blue. The man nearly cried when I handed them to him, the cigarettes that was, he said it was the nicest thing anyone has ever done, most people judge him and won't give him money incase that's what he spends it on, I say who cares, if it gives him some happiness in his otherwise sh*tty life, who am I to look down on him for that. I'll never forget the gratefulness in that man's sad eyes.

Great post, who says the Mods don't talk sense. (sometimes) ;)

I stayed in a Simon Community Hostel once and it was a lot better than living in a shed. Most people in there had a far few problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

personaly speaking....local goods collecting for homeless people has been a project we are getting up and running at some point from here,had wanted to do it around winter but because of big things that were going on here with CQC was not able.

am not against the fact there are drug addicted rough sleepers at all,look at what they deal with? when homelessness has become so ingrained into them like institutionalism,they are afraid to try other ways and the drugs stop them from seeing out of their altered reality.

people can be big hypocrites when they get pssed every weekend/day/whatever because they like to escape reality of their job/homelife yet they can pass down some crappy comments on junkie homeless people.
    they are a vulnerable group and although they do not have the level of vulnerability & advocacy need of other groups like young children,disabled,severe mental illness and frail elderly it woud be a awful life to have no idea of hope and feel in constant fear of being attacked/stolen from on the streets.

why are people who do not have addresses not able to work?
    why dont are governments have schemes to get genuine homeless people doing the jobs no one else is taking up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Ridiculous comment
    Maybe read my post?? We can also bring in badges for people who get the wrong end of the stick.:) Yours is in the post.:) Gotta love them badges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

the_syco wrote: »
    absolutely give to the homeless
    Do a €5 direct-debit to a charity such as the Simon community, then.

Any money the homeless people get goes towards drink and drugs. And why should they stop when they keep getting money? The best thing is to give the people on the street nothing, as this will force them into the homeless shelters, whose purpose is to help these people get back onto their feet.
    Here's the thing about a lot of homeless shelters: they are absolute ****holes. Many homeless will tell you they'd rather sleep rough than being in one of these shelters as they would actually feel safer outside. Personally speaking, if I was going to make a financial commitment to an NGO or charity, I would give it to drug or alcohol rehab programmes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Here's the thing about a lot of homeless shelters: they are absolute ****holes. Many homeless will tell you they'd rather sleep rough than being in one of these shelters as they would actually feel safer outside. Personally speaking, if I was going to make a financial commitment to an NGO or charity, I would give it to drug or alcohol rehab programmes.

You are right. Though the one i was it was good mostly.

A lot of the people there had mental problems but not bad enough to keep them in hospital for i think.

I felt safe in that one.

Advertisement