Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will my iMac work in Canada?

• 25-08-2012 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

I own a iMac with intel core i3 from Mid 2010. I am emigrating to Canada and wondering if I should take it with me.
    I know my audio visual stuff will not travel but heard iMacs have internal converters will allows them to travel. Just seeking some confirmation from our board of experts.

Comments

Check the input voltage on the back, if it's 100-240V 50/60Hz then you're good. Chances are it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Your 2010 i3 iMac is multivoltage and autosensing, just buy a new power cord when you get to Canada, plug it in and away you go....

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1981

Slap on the wrist time: found that Apple link by doing a Google search for 'imac multivoltage' - it was the second hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

You don't even have to buy a different cable I don't think. I just threw an adapter on the plug for my MBP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You don't even have to buy a different cable I don't think. I just threw an adapter on the plug for my MBP.

Of course that is correct but if he's emigrating he'd be as well to leave the old cables with the UK plugs behind. A new cable isn't going to cost much more than an adapter.

Power sockets tend to be closer together in Europe and the US/Canada than in the UK & Ireland because the plugs are smaller. If the OP takes his Irish power cable with an adapter and plugs it into a socket board or multi-socket wall panel in Canada, he may find that the adjacent sockets are unusable because of the space the plug+adapter takes up, he would be much better off buying a local power cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Sunster

Thanks guys. Very reassuring

• Advertisement
Advertisement