Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Please recommend a good horror...

• 25-08-2012 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of any horror movie that is actually scary....

Paramormal.... I think is funny not scary
    Grave Encounters..... just silly
    Night mare on elm..... scary in its day

Etc etc you get the gist.... looking for something that is an horror!!!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Martyrs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Curlyhatescurls

Texas Chainsaw Massacre, old or new, I can't see anyone not being scared of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

jaykhunter wrote: »

Thank you. Didnt realise that forum was there. Obviously didnt looks hard enough :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

Twin Peaks:Fire Walk with Me

*Dons Flamesuit*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭AllWasWell

If you're looking for a genuinly brilliant and scary horror film look out for Citadel when it is released..i saw it at the Galway film fleadh for its premiere..genuinely the scariest and most fantastic horror i've ever seen! cast is brilliant and the best thing about it is that it ignores the usual horror narrative of just throwing together a bunch of scary moments with no real plot..this film has actual character development and a decent storyline.
    i don't scare easily..im a huge horror fan and have seen a lot in my time and this was the only one that stayed with me..i was terrified walking to my car after it!

I'm not 100% sure if it's getting a general release but keep an eye out, it's well worth the watch!
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1641975/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Ringu.....the Japanese version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭sweeney1971

The Beyond' is the most frightening film I have ever watched. Afterlife, I spit on your grave,Hell raiser,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Martyrs.

I have this on my media player for an age and haven't been brave enough to watch it. Is it as bad as I've been told? My sister's friend is into horrors and a general well 'ard bloke and he said he couldn't sleep the night he watched this :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Instead of watching Martyrs you could just watch Saw II while reading a philosophy essay written by a pretentious French undergraduate. As an adult the only films that actually scared me were Ringu, Ju On and Don't Look Now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Watched Lucky McKee's "The Woman" last night and quite enjoyed it..

.. but I'm convinced Jack Ketchum (who co-wrote this and The Girl Next Door) has a serious vendetta against women.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

wolfs creek is scary i dunno if i would call it a good horror it was more disturbing than anything,it was based on a true story about an ozzie serial killer..very disturbing viewing..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

wolfs creek is scary i dunno if i would call it a good horror it was more disturbing than anything,it was based on a true story about an ozzie serial killer..very disturbing viewing..

Its good alright but with those films I always find myself shouting "Make sure the ba3tard is dead" before running away squealing like a girl. I know I'd probably run in real life but ya know, when watching the films I'm Rambo :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Insidious.. Spooky kid made me jump a few times:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Insidious.. Spooky kid made me jump a few times:)

He asked for a good horror film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

He asked for a good horror film.

Recommend one.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Recommend one.

The Descent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

An oldie but a goodie, The Shining. It's the only film that gets scarier every time I watch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Le Orphanato (The Orphanage) really atmospheric tense film. More chilling than jumpy gorey scary but with a well constructed gripping plot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

[REC]

Its a Spanish Horror. Very creepy. Only film in recent history where I jumped out of seat after a certain scene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭branners69

The last time I was scared watching a horror was when I was 11 watching the original Exorcist. I really wish I could watch something that would have me petrified like that again!! I think kids should be encouraged to watch more horrors as when they get older they wont have the same effect! :D

Btw I would also recommend Rec, I enjoyed it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

The Changeling

simply a good old Ghost story that doesn't rely on special effects

a few more that I have enjoyed over the years

The Haunting

The Dead Of Night

The Uninvited

The Innocents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The Descent and Wolf Creek are good choices, I liked the remake of The Hills Have Eyes too, pretty grim viewing though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The Tunnel - not only is it one of very few "found footage" horror films that actually works well, but you can also legally download it from the filmmaker's site at no cost. It's well worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Fysh wrote: »
    The Tunnel - not only is it one of very few "found footage" horror films that actually works well, but you can also legally download it from the filmmaker's site at no cost. It's well worth a look.
    Watched that recently and I was quite impressed, especially bearing in mind how commonplace the found footage format is now. Thumbs up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Thanks all. I'll check out some of these

Watched Case 39 last night was good. I think anything with a creepy child is scary :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Justask wrote: »
    Thanks all. I'll check out some of these

Watched Case 39 last night was good. I think anything with a creepy child is scary :o
    If you liked that, you may enjoy Orphan - more thriller than horror, but it does indeed have a creepy child :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

I would recommend Dead & Buried. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082242/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Takashi Miike's Audition

Starts off like a romantic comedy/drama then goes batshit crazy in the second half. My favorite horror film, and extremely disturbing to boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Audition's good.
    Martyrs certainly horrified me a lot. More than any film. Until I watched Kill List. Kill List horrified me more.
    I have the same opinion as the OP about the initial films listed.
    Shutter Island was good too I thought. The Thing is great too, though some people just won't get that immersed because of the model-based SFX.
    Let Me In and Let the Right One in are great horrors, even if neither were that horrifying.

In order of horrification:

Kill List
    Martyrs
    Audition
    Shutter Island
    Let Me In
    The Thing/Let the Right One In

I'd knock Martyrs down to the bottom of that list if I were to order them according to how I'd rate them as films overall. Still decent though, in its horrible nasty kind of way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Not a horror per se but Threads is a frighteningly realistic movie and deeply unsettling.It's in the public domain now so can be downloaded easily enough,highly recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

A lot of these films posters are listing are shocking ...not scary!

There's a difference!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

FlashD wrote: »

There's a difference!
    Well, I was both shocked.. and scared.. by your post! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

A Tale of Two Sisters. Found it creepy and unsettling!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

the_fl10.jpg

My favourite horror film, and one of the best films of the 1980s, in my opinion. I first saw it aged about 12, I still watch it today well over a decade later. I've seen it several times, but the sense of dread that builds towards the climax is almost unbearable.

Yes, the idea of a man becoming a human-insect hybrid might sound schlocky, but don't forget, Kafka's Metamorphosis is considered one of the most important pieces of literature in the 20th century, and that's about a man who wakes up to discover he is a bug!

FlashD wrote: »

There's a difference!

I agree, Audition is not scary but is definitely shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

The Thing - 1982 not the recent one. Still scares the bejesus out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

The Orphanage, Spanish horror made by Pan Labyrinth director Guillermo del Toro, theres a few scares in that.

I thought that Liv Tyler film that came out a few years ago The Strangers had a few jumps in it.

Most Japanese horrors. Audition has more squemishy bits than horror but kind of disturbing in some bits, also check out Marebito (another Japanese horror) and the original Grudge and Ring films.

Them was a French film that came out a few years back (based on a true story apparently) along the lines of the film Eden Lake, just a lot better and you dont see the 'baddies' until the end which was the awful part

The Omen (original) for me is the all time scariest, with the scariest music to boot.

Also check out Shivers an old Cronenberg flick. He also did Videodrome which is a must see psychological horror.

Lastly if you want to be truly disturbed check out Eraserhead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Rosemarys Baby: A young couple move into a New York apartment block unaware of the underline evil. Really is a classic.

"His eyes, what have you done to his eyes!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Audition and Martyrs are both INCREDIBLE films, but not scary, more really, really uncomfortable. My soul felt dirty after watching them.

Another vote for The Descent, [REC], Ju-On and Ringu. Total creep-fests that make the hair on the back of your neck stand up. Just make sure you get the good cut of The Descent, they maimed it for the American audience.

I suppose the problem with these threads is it's mostly relative. I asked for good modern comedies a while back, and someone recommended You, Me & Dupree (Gag). So, here's some films that were scary, in the same way as The Descent and [REC] is!

Shutter (Thai, 2004)
    Repulsion (British, 1965)
    Deliverance (American, 1972)
    In My Skin (French, 2002)
    Uzumaki (Japanese, 2000)

I'm sure there's more. I'll come back and update the post as I think of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Audition and Martyrs are both INCREDIBLE films, but not scary, more really, really uncomfortable. My soul felt dirty after watching them.

Another vote for The Descent, [REC], Ju-On and Ringu. Total creep-fests that make the hair on the back of your neck stand up. Just make sure you get the good cut of The Descent, they maimed it for the American audience.

I suppose the problem with these threads is it's mostly relative. I asked for good modern comedies a while back, and someone recommended You, Me & Dupree (Gag). So, here's some films that were scary, in the same way as The Descent and [REC] is!

Shutter (Thai, 2004)
    Repulsion (British, 1965)
    Deliverance (American, 1972)
    In My Skin (French, 2002)
    Uzumaki (Japanese, 2000)

I'm sure there's more. I'll come back and update the post as I think of them!

Yes, Forgot about REC, thats a good one, not the American one obvs

Advertisement