Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which 2/3 tb hardrive 3.5" for storage only?

Options
  • 25-08-2012 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    Need a new internal harddrive for desktop for storing music, pics, movies etc.
    Was gonna go with 2tb or 3tb depending on value for money specs etc.

Any recommendations please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

With most places currently, they're about the same value, with 3TB drives being slightly worse value.

I'd go with a 3TB Seagate Barracuda if it were me.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Sneachta

@ Serephucus

Thanks for the reply. Any recommendations on where to buy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Dabs, appear to have the best price at just under €150.

Amazon are about the same,maybe a euro or two more

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Sneachta

Thanks for the links Jackie Chan.

Just wondering considering it will be used purely for storing music etc would I be better off to go with 5400rpm to save energy or is there much difference do you think?

The power consumption difference is minimal if you were to work out the cost over a year. However there is a noticeable heat and noise difference if that is a factor for you.

I would go for a Samsung or WD personally (in that order).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

The power consumption difference is minimal if you were to work out the cost over a year. However there is a noticeable heat and noise difference if that is a factor for you.

I would go for a Samsung or WD personally (in that order).

No more Samsung drives anymore, they were taken over by Seagate. The Spinpoint F4s are still being sold under the Seagate name however:

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/5400+RPM/58234/Seagate+Barracuda+Spinpoint+HD204UI+2TB+SATA+II.article

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

There's Western Digital Red drives which come with 3 years warranty. Price is a bit higher than green drives although there's a few improvements in speed and power.

deconduo wrote: »
    No more Samsung drives anymore, they were taken over by Seagate. The Spinpoint F4s are still being sold under the Seagate name however:

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/5400+RPM/58234/Seagate+Barracuda+Spinpoint+HD204UI+2TB+SATA+II.article

There's still plenty of Samsung labelled drives in the supply chain and the Seagate labelled ones are still Samsung manufactured just with a mixed Seagate/Samsung label.

So it should still be safe to buy a Samsung and know you're getting one made in the Samsung factories, but yes in the future there won't be any more 'real' Samsungs.
    There's Western Digital Red drives which come with 3 years warranty. Price is a bit higher than green drives although there's a few improvements in speed and power.
    They have TLER which makes them suitable for RAID use (unlike the Greens) however it makes them a little less suited for non-RAID use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You can disable the TLER if you have no use for it with the WD software.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

i like hitachi, i think they are owned by western digital now but i have one in my ps3 and its doing mighty. i also have a samsung in my pc and its grand too no bothers, in the last few years i have had both seagates and western digital hard disks fail on me. although these are external so i don't know if that has something to do with it.

i think its horses for courses and you can be lucky wiht the drive you get. they are all fairly reliable these days but it might be better to split your data over 2 smaller drives?

• Advertisement
Advertisement