Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

7up 'free'

• 25-08-2012 6:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

Quick one...

does 7up free really have zero sugar and zero calories? It just seems too good to be true!!

What's the next healthiest drink to have after water??

Thanks

Muckit

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭Jenroche

Water with a dash of sugar-free cordial such as Ribena is a good option. Herbal and fruit tea is also a good drink but if you are using sugar or honey that's extra calories. Caffeine-free tea and coffee will also contribute to your water intake.

regards,

J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

Don't try to kid yourself that you're being healthy drinking 7 up free or any other diet drinks.

It's still junk food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Don't try to kid yourself that you're being healthy drinking 7 up free or any other diet drinks.

It's still junk food.
    It's not "healthy" but it's not necessarily unhealthy either. There's no scientific reason to label it junk food other than the stigma normally associated with soft drinks.

The main problem with soft drinks is their high sugar content and caffeine and 7up free doesn't have that. Other than that, 7up free doesn't have a whole lot in it that's bad for you. There is a bit of controversy surrounding the sweetener (Aspartame) but out of all the studies carried out there hasn't yet been anything that conclusively shows any significant danger in taking aspartame.

It's not a replacement for water and shouldn't be over-consumed but i'd say it's almost harmless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

It's still junk food.

I think what the OP wants to know is why is it junk food? Simply saying its junk food without any reasoning doesn't help much.

OP, many of these 'zero sugar' drinks contain a sweetener called 'Aspartame'
    you might want to look it up...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame_controversy

http://www.food.gov.uk/policy-advice/additivesbranch/55174

Now I'm not a Doctor and I haven't a huge knowledge on these matters but the general feeling by many is that these sweeteners should be avoided, even though agencies like the FDA allow them to be used.
    They say its OK in small doses but if I told you that a tiny dose of a poisonous substance in your coffee was harmless would you still drink the coffee?

JustLen wrote: »
    They say its OK in small doses but if I told you that a tiny dose of a poisonous substance in your coffee was harmless would you still drink the coffee?
    The evidence for aspartame being too toxic to consume is as strong as the evidence for caffeine being too toxic to consume. There's nothing that shows any significant health risk from regularly consuming low amounts of either of them.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Even if there was no aspartame there is some weight behind the theory that consuming a non-caloric 'tasty' beverage, can cause increased hunger later, as the body associates taste with calories and will expect some energy.

This is backed up by epidemiological studies showing non-caloric sweetened beverages are associated with weight gain over time. Not that this proves causation, but it doesn't promote the fact that they aid weight loss in any way.

That and the anecdata that all the people I know who drink diet drinks are perpetually fat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

That and the anecdata that all the people I know who drink diet drinks are perpetually fat.

Ah... but is it the 7 up free that is making them so? This is what I am trying to get to the bottom of! ;)

I am genuinely eating no 'junk food'. I am eating a lot of fruit, reduced my carb intake and eating mainly oily fish salads for lunch etc. I am also exercising daily and go for a 4km jog every second day.

What I want to know is if I drink diet 7up, will it add to my calorie count directly?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Muckit wrote: »
    Ah... but is it the 7 up free that is making them so? This is what I am trying to get to the bottom of! ;)

I am genuinely eating no 'junk food'. I am eating a lot of fruit, reduced my carb intake and eating mainly oily fish salads for lunch etc. I am also exercising daily and go for a 4km jog every second day.

What I want to know is if I drink diet 7up, will it add to my calorie count directly?

Nope, it will definitely not add to your calorie count. But it might not help you in keeping hunger levels down. So just be mindful of that.

Muckit wrote: »

There's nothing at all in most diet soft drinks (With the exception of those that use fruit extracts like Club Orange or Fanta) that contains a significant amount of calories. It's essentially some carbonated water, a miniscule amount of sweetener, a few oils/extracts and a few harmless chemicals like citric acid.

It's probably better for you than sugary tea/coffee with milk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭alexsmith

if something has no calories then it cannot interfere with fat loss.aspartame claims are so overrated its crazy.you need to consume 20000 cans of coke/branded drink to have enough aspartame/saccharin etc to kill you

• Advertisement
Advertisement