Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Alarms

Options
  • 25-08-2012 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭

why does a house alarm need to go off for more then a minute, the new 15min rule is stupid, what use it after 1min other then too disturb people.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It acts as a deterent to burglars.
    Perhaps the 15 minutes is too long a period- but the inverse is true of improbably short periods of time.
    Did you report the alarm going off as a possible robbery in progress to the Gardai? No? Well- why not? If the alarm was only going for a minute- would you? Would you be any more or less likely to actually ring the Gardai?

Its a deterent. You not ringing the Gardai- is not a deterent. Sure- its a blunt too- but its better than neighbours narking- but doing nothing........

• Registered Users Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

i looked out the owner is getting some extension done, and the worker set it off, those ten minutes it was on were him walking back from church :/ so why did it need to be on for more then a minute, either a person is alerted or they are not.

theres one across the way that keeps going off too.

never come across an alarm sent off by burgular its always faulty or a mistake.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You were alerted.
    You did nothing.
    Do you get what I'm saying- its not just for the attention of the owner- though obviously he or she should know.
    If I hear an alarm going off- I report it.
    I have no idea whether I've ever reported a burglary in progress or not. I don't care. Its an alarm. Its not ringing for fun.

Advertisement