Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Hotels

Options
  • 25-08-2012 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hey ya,
    Im heading to london for 3 nights in October with himself.
    Im looking for ideas for a hotel thats central enough and coming in around the €600 for the three nights, without it being a kip.Probably a tall order.
    All of the threads i see about hotels are quiet old so prices etc dont seem to apply anymore.
    So any ideas from people welcome. Especially if you have been or are going this year..
    Cheers :)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

To be honest with you, "central" isn't as important in London as you might think - mainly it guarantees that you'll be spending ludicrous money unless you luck into a deal. Have a look on LastMinute and Timeout's London/UK Deals page, you might find something suitable. Don't forget that the Underground runs until fairly late and buses run all night, so getting around the city after a night out isn't as big a problem as you might think.

If you can't find something that way, I'd recommend that you start by working out what things you want to see and do while you're here, and figure out where might be a convenient base of operations from there. Obviously it's a bit hard to do without being here, but if you post up a list of things you'd like to do we can help by suggesting where you should look and how best to get around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

What the Fysh said is right, list what you want you want to do and work backwards.

The night buses work

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

e600 should easily get you a very good deal in central London. I wouldn't be worrying about having to stay outside the main central touristy areas if that's what you want.

This place for example is one of the secret hotels on Last Minute and can be got on an October weekend for pretty much exactly e600.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 IMC2009

Thanks for the replies.

There's lots i want to do. Ive been to london before but stayed with friends so this time we are looking to have a completely different experience. Some shopping, nice restaurants and bars, camden town, harrods that sort of thing.
    My last trip was full of sightseeing so this time i really just want to spend four days enjoying being out and about in london.
    I want to keep as much cash as possible for spending on enjoying ourselves, so im willing to spend about €600 on the hotel (and im hoping for somewhere nice enough to stay for that.)
    Its a bit of a tall order. Obviously during the day im happy to take the underground, but in the evenings id be thrilled to not have over an hour for a trek back like our last visit (we stayed in fluham).

Thanks again looking forward to some suggestions. Planning on booking somewhere today or tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭paudgenator

Hi, check out Double Tree by Hilton - they have various hotels in London. Not sure of rates as my husband has been there on corporate rates but good locations and not too expensive I think ? Have fun!

• Advertisement

I actually looked at these, there are quiet a few of them to choose from. Really reasonably priced at the west end, but do you know if this is a good base location, or only convenient for the shows???

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭jtown

Apex hotel by London Tower.. great location and very near the tube

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭paudgenator

IMC2009 wrote: »
    I actually looked at these, there are quiet a few of them to choose from. Really reasonably priced at the west end, but do you know if this is a good base location, or only convenient for the shows???

IMO - a great location, walking distance to loads, and close to tube for anywhere further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

I always use spg.com Starwood preferred guest as an example October 19 to 23

The W Leister Square brand new Hotel very funky £250 a night
    Le Meriedien Picadilly £220 a night very central nice hotel
    The Park Lane £190 a night again very central
    Aloft London Excell down in docklands near the Excell Arena £100 a night

Also London hotels are a crap shoot you could pay a fortune and get rubbish

Another option is the St. Pancreas renaissance Hotel which is amazing for the same dates is £190 a night if you want to spoil yourself it worth considering.

While those rates are in sterling and exclude VAT the little extra is worth it knowing you are getting quality.

Thanks, think we may have a winner. I think it looks great too. Although i like the roof bar in the one at london tower too :)
    Will show both to himself and see what he thinks.

I was looking at the shaftsbury, but the visitor photos on trip advisor paint a very different picture to the website. It can be hard to judge. We thought we had found a really nice one called the merchant, the website looked great and then on trip advisor it was a pure kip!!

At least with these ones what you see is what you get!!

• Advertisement

the W looks amazing but is coming in at €1295 for the three nights, so its out of my price range for this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I I was you I'd stay around London bridge. Great access to east end for hanging out, cafes, bars shopping etc. Then there's Borough market for lunch. And of course great train and tube links to everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

I use Trivago whenever I'm looking for hotels, the savings can be amazing, especially in London where the hotels are dearest when booked through their own websites.

Advertisement