Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identification please Urgent

Options
  • 25-08-2012 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭

Lads I know its not hunting related, (well I am Killing them):rolleyes:;)
    Can you identify these, are they wasps, they are much smaller than the usual wasp/bee's. My problem is my Copper beach tree in my front garden has dozens of them in it since the last week or two, and my concern is for my 18 month grandson playing, whether they are stinging bees or what. Like I said they are tiny compared to what I am used too seeing Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Looks like a common wasp, and they do sting. Should be dying out this time of year, but that doesn't help your situation right now.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Ezridax is correct, they are Common Wasps most probably juvenile based on your description..

Common-wasp-dusted-with-pollen-feeding-on-ivy-flowers.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

They seem to have made a late appearance this year, probably due to the fabulous weather :) Only started seeing them around here in the last three weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

You would like to see the wood wasps we have buzzing around where I work. Don't think they sting tho

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

4200fps wrote: »
    You would like to see the wood wasps we have buzzing around where I work. Don't think they sting tho

How big?

• Advertisement

Mr.Flibble wrote: »
    How big?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sam2cents/2836190417/
    Got this of google images. The hum of them when they fly is enough to keep one well away lol. They are very ugly. Size of a dragon fly i'd say. Some say they sting but I don't think they do but they are big. They come in with the wood chips thats supplied to our work facility

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

You got wood wasps there.Unusual as they arent native here.They would be after the timber chips as they eat the chips and generally any other timber they fancy like fir,spruce and other softwoods.Want to fumigate the shop or timber store otherwise your timber is going to be contaminated as they burrow into the timber.
    Googling them,they apprently dont sting..

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Lads I know its not hunting related, (well I am Killing them):rolleyes:;)
    Can you identify these, are they wasps, they are much smaller than the usual wasp/bee's. My problem is my Copper beach tree in my front garden has dozens of them in it since the last week or two, and my concern is for my 18 month grandson playing, whether they are stinging bees or what. Like I said they are tiny compared to what I am used too seeing Thanks

They are proably checking the beech out for a nesting site,or already have established a nest on the tree or in the vicinity..
    Nasty enough for a child to be stung by them.Worst would be he gets stung in the mouth,or he is allergic to wasp /bee stings and goes into anaplathic shock!!:eek::eek:
    Best keep him out of the garden until you locate the nest and destroy it.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    You got wood wasps there.Unusual as they arent native here.They would be after the timber chips as they eat the chips and generally any other timber they fancy like fir,spruce and other softwoods.Want to fumigate the shop or timber store otherwise your timber is going to be contaminated as they burrow into the timber.
    Googling them,they apprently dont sting..
    We have a lorry load of chips every few mins and are tipped into a huge chip shed. There be 100's of tons. The chips do be refined into fiber. All our chips come from Galway and Mayo. This time of year is when they are most common I notice

You might want to pass it up the chain of command,as they are a non native invasive species,and if that chip wood is coming from wherever it wont be long before they start breeding and are out in the wild,eating our timber trees.
    Its amazing how lackadasical we are here in Ireland about bugs,which can be as destructive,if not moreso than a rabid/foot and mouth carrying critter.

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    You might want to pass it up the chain of command,as they are a non native invasive species,and if that chip wood is coming from wherever it wont be long before they start breeding and are out in the wild,eating our timber trees.
    Its amazing how lackadasical we are here in Ireland about bugs,which can be as destructive,if not moreso than a rabid/foot and mouth carrying critter.

I don't know how they came into the country if their not a native species. For years any only at my work facility i see them. They are very ugly

Bet you will find that months/years ago somone bought a supply of timber from wherever these fellahs are native that was contaminated with either grubs or a nest,and wherever it was processed they have hatched out or gone native.
    Mad,that when I consider the hassle we had importing timber into Germany..It had to be fumigated in Hamburg off the ship and then inspected by a bug expert for all sorts of creepy crawlies.If any were found,the entire timber consingement would be destroyed.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Invincible

We have a lorry load of chips every few mins and are tipped into a huge chip shed. There be 100's of tons. The chips do be refined into fiber. All our chips come from Galway and Mayo. This time of year is when they are most common I notice

And there does be bee's where there be's wasps :D

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

I sometimes see wood wasps around my own place in mayo. I think their harmless but scary looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Many years ago, in the mid to late ‘70’s, I worked in a joinery in South Tallaght / North Blessington area. When we would get a consignment of Iroko timber (African origins, teak type wood), it was always put in the heated door press just to help it dry out a bit better.

But this brought on its own problems, apart from the timber splitting in an explosion type effect; it seemed to assist in the hatching of all sorts of creepy guys, in particular what we called Wood Wasps. These guys were about 3 inches long and about 5-6 inches in wingspan, looked like massive dragonflies with a big spike out the rear end. You could hear them flying over the noise of the machines. At lunch time we would have great fun shooting at them with the compressed air nail-guns.......All long before proper health & safety, dust extraction etc....

V Bull wrote: »
    Many years ago, in the mid to late ‘70’s, I worked in a joinery in South Tallaght / North Blessington area. When we would get a consignment of Iroko timber (African origins, teak type wood), it was always put in the heated door press just to help it dry out a bit better.

But this brought on its own problems, apart from the timber splitting in an explosion type effect; it seemed to assist in the hatching of all sorts of creepy guys, in particular what we called Wood Wasps. These guys were about 3 inches long and about 5-6 inches in wingspan, looked like massive dragonflies with a big spike out the rear end. You could hear them flying over the noise of the machines. At lunch time we would have great fun shooting at them with the compressed air nail-guns.......All long before proper health & safety, dust extraction etc....
    They remind me of the movie Pearl Harbor, They are like Spit-fires buzzing around in their V8 engines. They are awful ugly yokes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭TriggerPL

They remind me of the movie Pearl Harbor, They are like Spit-fires buzzing around in their V8 engines. They are awful ugly yokes

was wiring a log cabin that came in from canada drilled a 50ml hole for a light took out the drill and i swear ya never seen a lad jump from a ladder so high about 20 of them came buzzing out and there were about 2 inchs long .

fright of my life

Advertisement