Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meeting people?!

Options
  • 25-08-2012 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

I've moved over here three months ago, very, very lonely to be honest. Its difficult to meet people as I don't drink, so I don't spend much time in bars. I'd rather spend my money on something exciting... I love to run, and posted on many forums looking for a running partner - with no success.

Any ideas, help me!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Dr.Sanchez wrote: »
    I've moved over here three months ago, very, very lonely to be honest. Its difficult to meet people as I don't drink, so I don't spend much time in bars. I'd rather spend my money on something exciting... I love to run, and posted on many forums looking for a running partner - with no success.

Any ideas, help me!!

jesus man, i feel sorry for u, try different running clubs, take up some new hobbies, what are u interested in? whats work like for meeting people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Surprisingly, I'm working in an airport bar at the moment. I like listening to peoples stories as they're passing through but you'll never see the same person twice... I mostly work with Portuguese, and they tend to keep to themselves, speaking portuguese - which doesn't help!

I checked for running clubs in my area but nothings turned up. Im into pretty much anything outdoors!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Do you have any community or council sport groups/amenities your area? There should be something going on, given all the Olympic Legacy talk doing the rounds. (Though in saying that, the sports club down the road from me closed down earlier this year as a result of funding cuts, Olympic Legacy notwithstanding....)

There seem to be a good few sites for finding sports clubs/partners (TotallySporty looks good, for example) though whether they're any good for your area is hard to say.

Overall, though, keep your head up and keep trying! London can seem an unfriendly city if you don't know many folks, but the key is to keep trying. Fortunately, it's possible to meet people here without having to map your social life entirely around drinking or going to the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Do you use twitter? I use mainly to search for stuff in my area, and successfully found a running partner, two actually, and meet ups naturally formed...

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

Hey,

It may not be your thing, but have you considered getting in touch with some of the Irish network groups in London? There are a few about such as

The London Irish Network : http://www.londonirish.org.uk/
    IN-GB : http://in-gb.co.uk/

Ive been along to a few of the IN-GB events in the past, they tend to be smallish groups but certainly the people there are great and often in similar situations where they just want to make more contacts etc and have some fun.

may be worth a shot, nothing to loose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Its difficult to meet people as I don't drink, so I don't spend much time in bars.
    You don't need to drink to spend time in a bar!
    I'd rather spend my money on something exciting... I love to run, and posted on many forums looking for a running partner - with no success.

Any ideas, help me!!
    There seem to be a number of London running "clubs" on meetup.com - for example:

http://www.meetup.com/Run-Club

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Any ideas, help me!!

Was buying trainers from these guys over the weekend and they spoke about this which I was considering. Might have a branch in your area

http://www.sweatshop.co.uk/community.cfm

What area are in you Dr Sanchez?

Thanks for all the replies! I'm living In West Drayton at the moment, there's not much out here. I've decided to try out the climbing wall in Mile End next week, theres some beginners course on so hopefully will meet people.

Also, I made friends with this really cute chick who works in the airport too... ;)

Two of our boardsies use that climbing wall Dr Sanchez!

Check out the local libraries too, they often have advertisement boards and often overlooked...

• Advertisement

Oh? Who uses the wall...?

Oh? Who uses the wall...?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056078149&page=3

Check out the boardsie's about half way down the thread, PonderStibbons and EmilieC. Worth PM ing and finding out! Ive met EmilieC and she's lovely and is proper into climbing ..

Advertisement