Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big board, Little car.

Options
  • 25-08-2012 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

With all the costs surrounding cars these days (between nct, tax, ins and fuel), trying to get my costs and engine size down yet still fit my longboards in.

What's the longest board size board you or anyone you know are getting into the smallest size car?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Ya should be fine with a 9'2 longboard with most standard hatchbacks, if you drive a lot consider a diesel car, way more expensive to tax but you'll get it back on the pumps

I used to pay 80 to 100 on a day trip to sligo with petrol but it dropped to about 45 with the diesel engine

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Cardinal.jpg

Commercial tax
    Slow driver = low insurance
    Dead efficient on fuel
    fits a stack of longboards in the back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

kodute wrote: »
    Commercial tax
    Slow driver = low insurance
    Dead efficient on fuel
    fits a stack of longboards in the back

Nice!

...And sure plenty of space to sleep in the back thinking of all those who shared the same space.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Finally an excuse to post this:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

You can get a 9'6 in a Renault Laguna and an 8'6 into a VW Golf......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 agreenyblue

Renault scenic fits my 8ft board with loads of room to spare, 9ft definitely Ok. As previously posted, most hatchbacks should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Get a camper!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

The scentic cost me a fortune in petrol

stevire wrote: »
    Get a camper!

Yeah a camper would be great but just not practical for a quick run to the shops plus there's some brutal camping balls of rubbish on sale here for too much money.

Will wait til I move to the UK next year.

Managed to get my 9'6" in a Seat hatchback today ....tight squeeze!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Morf3h

Did you ever make a purchase OP?

I had a 9'6 board in my Opel Astra (2004 model). It was a great car 1.4L. I had to take the board out of the bag, remove fin and turn it upside down. Only then could it squeeze in, from right on the dash touching the windscreen to the boot door.

I'm actually selling the car if you're interested. pm for details.

M

• Advertisement

Yeah man, with the seats down, currently squeezing the 9'6 into a ford focus hatchback....just about!

Thinking of getting a roofrack for more comfort though when on the move.

Its handy to have the option of putting the boards in the car, I don't like leaving them on the car roof when i'm not around or an overnight stay. All it takes is the quick slash of a knife on the roof straps and its boards galore for some bol*x.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Was considering getting a nissan pathfinder at one stage because it would swallow boards, bikes and anything else i could throw at it. But MPG wise the roof rack for the boards and bike rack on the boot work out better for me. Just gotta live with the hassle of putting them up every time and watching where you park with them on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

Go for a diesel estate, 1.6 in a Ford Focus or similar does about 53mpg. 1.5 Renault Megane is cheaper to tax and get 55mpg average.

But don't do what I've done & get the angle of a 9'2 longboard wrong & crack your windscreen when you shut the boot....twice.....I've learned my lesson, for ease of mind, longboards belong on the roof....

If you do carry your board in your car, make sure it's secured with straps as the last thing you want is to end up being smashed in the head in an accident or even for it to fly out through a smashed windscreen and hit someone else.

Advertisement