Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neil Armstrong RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

R.I.P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

RIP Neil :( and Godspeed.

MOD: Please keep this thread on topic I will take a jaundiced view of any more mention of fake moon landings this is not the forum for it and this thread least of all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

RIP Neil Armstrong. The whole human race held our collective breath and took that small step with you and all your colleagues.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

So sad to hear of the great mans passing. As has been said already, what a legacy to leave behind.

Those old clips of that great event can still take my breath away and lead to tears.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

RIP - a great person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

RIP. A legendary man whose name and achievement should hopefully inspire generations to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

RIP Neil.

can't help thinking of the chorus of Tineh Temper's "Written in the Stars" at the moment. (Sky Sports Super Sunday theme tune).

"Oh, written in the stars
    A million miles away
    A message to the main
    Oh
    Seasons come and go
    But I will never change
    And I'm on my way".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Redshift wrote: »
    RIP Neil :( and Godspeed.

MOD: Please keep this thread on topic I will take a jaundiced view of any more mention of fake moon landings this is not the forum for it and this thread least of all.

indeed

when ever I hear these nuts coming out with that bull, I can help thinking of this

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭InvisibleBadger

RIP, astronauts are the coolest childhood heroes

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

RIP to the great man. Let's hope it's not too long before people once again follow in his footsteps!

• Advertisement

Just read this on another site,

'If Chuck Norris had a hero, it would be Neil Armstrong'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

A true inspiration for a generation and will be for generations to come. RIP and Godspeed.

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,

And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Sunwards I’ve climbed and joined the tumbling mirth

Of sun-split clouds – and done a thousand things

You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung

High in the sunlit silence. Hovering there,

I’ve chased the shouting wind along and flung

My eager craft through footless halls of air,

Up, up the long delirious burning blue

I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace,

Where never lark, or even eagle, flew;

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod

The high untrespassed sanctity of space,

Put out my hand, and touched the face of god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

How much do you know about reluctant hero Neil Armstrong compared to how much you know about fallen 'hero' LA?
    from twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

RIP Neil, one of the few men to boldly go where no man went before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Message from his family.
    "For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil, we have a simple request: Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink."

RIP Neil, will be thinking of you at Moonrise tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭hughjohn

In 1969 We , like thousands of other families used the upcoming moon landing as the reason to rent our first tv.
    I was only 8 years old on that day when the entire family watched the grainy images of what was potentialy the biggest event of our lives.
    Even as an 8 year old boy ,I was incredibly moved by the entire event and the courage of those that took part in it . It still awes me today.
    EVERY time I look at the moon even these days I think of the men who have been there and wonder what they think as they look up at it.

Neil Armstrong was the first to do it and therefore it is sad that he is gone ,but what a life!!!

It is also sad that as another poster said there is only a handful of people left who have been on the moon. It may well come to pass that as time goes on there will be no one left and this is also regrettable.

It is understandable that for example the last soldier of WW1 is dead and that the last Titanic survivor is dead and so on , but it is awful to contemplate in an age of ever increasing technology that someday "The last man to have walked on the moon will die ".

The courage of men like Neil Armstrong is an example to all of us and the world is a lesser place without him. RIP.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

shedweller wrote: »
    Sad thing in that interview is when Patrick asks his opinion on scientific stations on the moon and Neil answers that he expects to see them in "our lifetimes".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

RIP Neil.

You quietly inspired millions to take their own "giant leap" in life and realise that with dedication, commitment, and perserverance they too can achieve incredible goals.

Your first step on the lunar surface joined humanity as one in celebration of what is possible if we put aside differences and learn that we are all together on Spaceship Earth voyaging through the vast Cosmos.

John

P.S., I rather liked the comment of one person on the Guardian newspaper's site that they knew someone who once remarked it was amazing "Lance Armstrong had walked on the Moon". Based on his under-fire performances, it looks like Lance allegedly was on something that could have flown him to the Moon alright :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Sad to see Neil pass away. Only 8 moon walkers left. Before long there will be no humans left who have walked on another world, I find that tragic. We have stepped back from our greatest achievement and left it to a future generation to do it all again.

People make a big deal about Neil being the first person to walk on the moon but I think it should be remembered that both Neil and Buzz were the first people to land on the moon, that achievement should be celebrated more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Beeker wrote: »
    Sad to see Neil pass away. Only 8 moon walkers left. Before long there will be no humans left who have walked on another world, I find that tragic. We have stepped back from our greatest achievement and left it to a future generation to do it all again.

People make a big deal about Neil being the first person to walk on the moon but I think it should be remembered that both Neil and Buzz were the first people to land on the moon, that achievement should be celebrated more.

As I said, it was like Hillary and Norgay climbing Everest together. Irrelevant who actually put their pug on the top of it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Beeker wrote: »

As I said, it was like Hillary and Norgay climbing Everest together. Irrelevant who actually put their pug on the top of it first.

I would disagree, respectfully of course. A first step is hugely symbolic and is a very powerful image. How many parents rejoice at their child's first step? All I would guess. In 1969 one of Mother Earth's children took its first step on another world and that will forever be the step of Neil Armstrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

na.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭marozz

R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Leaving planet earth once again. rip Neil.

Hal1 wrote: »
    na.jpg

Do you know what? I personally think that is an insult to the man.
    This should not be the place for jokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

hughjohn wrote: »

It's a mock up of a flag at half mast on the lunar surface....

how is that an insult?? I actually thought it was a very nice image

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

hughjohn wrote: »
    Personally I think the lads involved in Apollo would smile at that, and have no doubt mentioned it over the last day or two, apart from the feeling of loss and great sadness I can assure you they are toasting the man and are also having a laugh about him as good friends will do, many people and especially "the more adventurous types" prefer to be remembered in a happy way and with a laugh, as opposed to a purely maudlin one.

• Advertisement

gatecrash wrote: »
    It's a mock up of a flag at half mast on the lunar surface....

how is that an insult?? I actually thought it was a very nice image

Because it perhaps insinuates that the whole affair was a mock up?
    I dont know, maybe I'm being too sensitive, but that was my first reaction.

Advertisement