Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neil Armstrong Dies

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

matthew 21.18hirmjager;80433936]if you ever get a chance to see that discovery channel programme about his decision to take control of the lander when he realised it was failing, i strongly recommend it. the landing computer kept rebooting on the way down. he literally took charge of a potential disaster and took the decision on his own. he flew a completely unstable lander across the surface of the moon on his own looking out a small porthole window. he flew the only other lander for 20 seconds on earth before having to eject before it crashed.

most people dont realise the president at the time had 2 speeches prepared. the successful landing one and the other...they would have to leave them to die on the moon.

a legend...a sad sad day. i always remember my mum telling us to watch the landing on tv on a black and white pye tv...

a truly amazing man...[/QUOTE]

Wow! Who remembers pye TVs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Just heard now, one of the greatest people of the last century.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Here's a documentary worth watching. I saw it last year some time. I don't think he makes an appearance in it but he trades emails with the presenter.

It's a pity that he shunned the spotlight as he did, but not everyone is comfortable being the most famous person in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Pilotdude5 wrote: »
    Its sad to think that its quiet possible all the Apollo astronauts will pass on before humans once again set foot on other rocks.

It's sad to think that none of us may see it in our life times.

Those guys were my hero's growing up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Etc

I had the pleasure of being in the concert hall when he was interviewed by Gay Byrne. He only did 7 or so interviews a year. He was utterly different to what you would expect, he was extremely nervous when he came onto the stage and completely unassuming.

Once he relaxed he was engaging and funny and fascinating. The two things that stick in my mind were, the computer on the Eagle had the same computing power as a calculator and when the time came for questions, the inevitable hoax question was asked by a skinny bloke with long hair, beard and glasses (no joke) to universal boos from the audience, Armstrong said it was actually a great question.

He said with 400,000 people involved in the Apollo programme it would be impossible to keep a hoax secret.

That's a role model !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

A true legend and hero who did his country proud by just doing his job to the best of his abilities with huge bravery, intelligence and wit.
    RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

He didn't win the Tour de France 7 times, but he did win the Tour de la Lune just once, but, boy, what a win!

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

RIP,

Remember looking up at the moon when he was walking on it back in 1969..Couldn't see him but there you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭dttq

Those words still resonate now, and are as meaningful and powerful today as they were on that day in 1969. Hopefully words worthy of the occasion and of equal depth will be spoken when the Mars landing is been broadcasted onto our televisions within the coming years.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭christ on a bike!

Tragic week for Neil Armstrong, first he loses his tour the France medals and now he dies, next thing they will be saying he wasn't a good saxophone player at all....... RIP Mr Armstrong!!! The first man to cycle around the moon while playing the saxophone!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

Tragic week for Neil Armstrong, first he loses his tour the France medals and now he dies, next thing they will be saying he wasn't a good saxophone player at all....... RIP Mr Armstrong!!! The first man to cycle around the moon while playing the saxophone!!!

too soon dude, too soon..

dttq wrote: »
    Those words still resonate now, and are as meaningful and powerful today as they were on that day in 1969. Hopefully words worthy of the occasion and of equal depth will be spoken when the Mars landing is been broadcasted onto our televisions within the coming years.

RIP

He actually messed up the quote. He meant to say "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind". However, in his excitement he left out the 'a' and the whole meaning of the sentence was turned on it's head.

Still one of the most recognisable quotes of all time.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/onesmall.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

well the man went beyond then any man on earth will in his lifetime,RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

There's a housing estate where I grew up and there's a street called Armstrong Walk, there's also an Aldren Way and a few others too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

They laughed at Neil Armstrong when he said he was gonna go to the moon. Now he's up there laughing at them.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

RIP Neil Armstrong

This is a true story,
    When Apollo Mission Astronaut Neil Armstrong first walked on the moon, he not only said his famous "One Small Step for Man, One Giant Leap for Mankind" statement, but followed it by several remarks - usual communication traffic between him, the other astronauts and Mission Control. Before he re-entered the lander, he made the enigmatic remark "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky."
    Many people at NASA thought it was a casual remark concerning some rival Soviet Cosmonaut; however, upon checking, there was no Gorsky in either the Russian nor American space programs. Over the years, many people have questioned him as to what the "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky" statement meant.
    On July 5, in Tampa Bay, FL, while answering questions following a speech, a reporter brought up the 26 year old question to Armstrong. He finally responded.
    It seems that Mr. Gorsky had finally died and so Armstrong felt he could answer the question: "When I was a kid, I was playing baseball with my brother in the backyard. He had hit a fly ball which landed in front of my neighbors' bedroom window. The neighbors were Mr. and Mrs. Gorsky. As I leaned down to pick up the ball, I heard Mrs. Gorsky shouting at Mr. Gorsky, "Oral sex? Oral sex you want? You'll get oral sex when the kid next door walks on the moon!"

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭john why

R.i.p neil. One of the bravest men of our time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Rest in peace.

A brave man who experienced that which many can only dream of, may his memory live on for millennia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭dttq

He actually messed up the quote. He meant to say "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind". However, in his excitement he left out the 'a' and the whole meaning of the sentence was turned on it's head.

Still one of the most recognisable quotes of all time.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/onesmall.asp

Either way, what a beautiful and poetic expression and one so meaningful for humanity - particularly given the technocratic, technical and wooden nature of an organisation such as NASA, not to mention that in some quarters of the US government, it was merely seen as a kick in the teeth for the Russians as the yanks got their first and nothing more. Armstrong really gave the mission and landing character, as opposed to it been merely a technical undertaking and achievement, and must have given many watching their screens in 1969 goosebumps with words befitting a poet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    RIP Neil Armstrong

This is a true story,

No it's not
    . Would be great if it was though..

Very sad that he's gone, his name will live forever. It's a shame that manned spaceflight seems to have been in the doldrums for most of the time since then but there are still great achievements happening such as the Curiousity rover on Mars. Anyway, RIP.

The touchdown of Eagle:

And the first moonwalk:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Never heard of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Benny_Cake wrote: »

No it's not
    . Would be great if it was though..

Very sad that he's gone, his name will live forever. It's a shame that manned spaceflight seems to have been in the doldrums for most of the time since then but there are still great achievements happening such as the Curiousity rover on Mars. Anyway, RIP.

always 1 to spoil the party, shush would of been good for this 1.

dttq wrote: »
    Either way, what a beautiful and poetic expression and one so meaningful for humanity - particularly given the technocratic, technical and wooden nature of an organisation such as NASA, not to mention that in some quarters of the US government, it was merely seen as a kick in the teeth for the Russians as the yanks got their first and nothing more. Armstrong really gave the mission and landing character, as opposed to it been merely a technical undertaking and achievement, and must have given many watching their screens in 1969 goosebumps with words befitting a poet.

No doubt he spent ages thinking up of what he was going to say.

I cringe at the thought of what I would say in his position. It'd probably be something along the lines of "****ing nice one lad". Doesn't have the same ring to it.

As you said, whoever lands on Mars will have a job on their hands to try and trump that quote. Hopefully they do it justice. That's all assuming that someone manages to land on Mars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

For anyone who wonders what it was like.

Walter White as Buzz too.... great mini series, i recommend you watch it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

You're about as funny and witty as colon cancer.

STFU. :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

:( Bummer. I remember as a small child staying up to watch the very last moon landing, well the lift off when we left and I cried because we were leaving the moon all alone in space, :o so hearing this is a sad one for me.

Great man and men. Of all those extraordinary individuals they had to pick from, they certainly picked the right guy. An incredibly brave(as they all were) intelligent and unassuming man who came home and lived a life away from the trappings of the celebrity that would come with being the most famous man on earth and the moon. A different breed from a different time* He never diminished that legacy.

RIP Neil Armstrong. The whole human race held our collective breath and took that small step with you and all your colleagues. That shít counts.

*people sometimes forget that those guys weren't kids. The mission control guys and gals were remarkably young as a group. The "nerds" behind the "jocks", before those titles were invented. Nerds didn't start changing the world in the 80's when computers came along, they were at it in the 60's with sliderules. However the guys at the sharp end were middle aged men mostly in their 40's. Alan Shepard was nearly 50. It's interesting to read the debriefing stuff and interviews after the fact and many of them sound like children of the 60's :) The experience was that profound to many of them. Not so much Neil, though Neil was interesting below the surface. They all brought music tapes with them to chill out on the trip with NASA built walkmans before they were invented and Neil brought an album of weird theremin music. Very avant garde. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Could the dumb asses STFU with the Lance Armstrong jokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭Inventive User Name

Always very sad when legends like Armstrong pass away.
    RIP

For anyone who wonders what it was like.

Walter White as Buzz too.... great mini series, i recommend you watch it.

Just found a link for it. I'll give it a spin tonight. Thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Could the dumb asses STFU with the Lance Armstrong jokes.

Hmmm. Good idea for a thread

• Advertisement

This was Nixon's speech should something go wrong and Aldrin and Armstrong not get off the moon. I think it brings home the scale of the achievement and reflects a time when the world was united in a single achievement.

"Fate has ordained that the men who went to the moon to explore in peace will stay on the moon to rest in peace. These brave men, Neil Armstrong and Edwin Aldrin, know that there is no hope for their recovery. But they also know that there is hope for mankind in their sacrifice.

"These two men are laying down their lives in mankind's most noble goal: the search for truth and understanding. They will be mourned by their families and friends; they will be mourned by their nation; they will be mourned by the people of the world; they will be mourned by a Mother Earth that dared send two of her sons into the unknown.

"In their exploration, they stirred the people of the world to feel as one; in their sacrifice, they bind more tightly the brotherhood of man. In ancient days, men looked at stars and saw their heroes in the constellations. In modern times, we do much the same, but our heroes are epic men of flesh and blood.

"Others will follow, and surely find their way home. Man's search will not be denied. But these men were the first, and they will remain the foremost in our hearts.

"For every human being who looks up at the moon in the nights to come will know that there is some corner of another world that is forever mankind."

Etc wrote: »
    This was Nixon's speech should something go wrong and Aldrin and Armstrong not get off the moon. I think it brings home the scale of the achievement and reflects a time when the world was united in a single achievement.

"Fate has ordained that the men who went to the moon to explore in peace will stay on the moon to rest in peace. These brave men, Neil Armstrong and Edwin Aldrin, know that there is no hope for their recovery. But they also know that there is hope for mankind in their sacrifice.

"These two men are laying down their lives in mankind's most noble goal: the search for truth and understanding. They will be mourned by their families and friends; they will be mourned by their nation; they will be mourned by the people of the world; they will be mourned by a Mother Earth that dared send two of her sons into the unknown.

"In their exploration, they stirred the people of the world to feel as one; in their sacrifice, they bind more tightly the brotherhood of man. In ancient days, men looked at stars and saw their heroes in the constellations. In modern times, we do much the same, but our heroes are epic men of flesh and blood.

"Others will follow, and surely find their way home. Man's search will not be denied. But these men were the first, and they will remain the foremost in our hearts.

"For every human being who looks up at the moon in the nights to come will know that there is some corner of another world that is forever mankind."

pretty siht speech considering what they had just done, but there in lies the non attachment to the hole mission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Bad times. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭christ on a bike!

Lapin wrote: »
    You're about as funny and witty as colon cancer.

STFU. :mad:

Relax fella
    Obviously respect the man as I would anyone who had achieved so much, still will have a laugh as I always do in ****ty personal circumstances too, and I wasn't being disresepctful

One thing I notice about this place is how quick people are to jump down each others throats
    Don't take life so seriously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

Honestly I think this man should of been the biggest Celeb ever. What he did is truly the greatest feat man has ever done with limited technology. I can't imagine the bravery it took to get into the Apollo rocket. Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins both are heroes too. Very sad day for man kind. GOD SPEED NEIL ARMSTRONG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

this come to mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4ga_M5Zdn4

RIP Mr. armstrong

pretty siht speech considering what they had just done, but there in lies the non attachment to the hole mission.

I have no idea what this means, that's excluding the bad spelling and grammar.

Etc wrote: »
    I have no idea what this means, that's excluding the bad spelling and grammar.

ok so your not to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Pilotdude5 wrote: »
    Its sad to think that its quiet possible all the Apollo astronauts will pass on before humans once again set foot on other rocks.
    https://xkcd.com/893/ In this comic, over 65 years, Randall is projecting the number of living humans who have walked on another word

Image text: The universe is probably littered with the one-planet graves of cultures which made the sensible economic decision that there's no good reason to go into space--each discovered, studied, and remembered by the ones who made the irrational decision.

Just so there is no confusion about how parochial we've become
    Since 1972 Humans haven't travelled more than 1/1000th as far from the surface of the earth as the Apollo astronauts.

At this stage it's no longer rocket science :)
    The Russians are sending people into space using modified 1950's ICBM's.
    The Americans are hitching lifts with the Russians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

RIP Mr. Armstrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Ah he'll be grand, he'll fill in for Al on Quantum Leap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

RIP Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Oh Hell Oui!

Sad news the man was a hero but he had a long life and got to walk on the moon. Life well spent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Seems like a good time to get Shatner-ised

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Its really hard to get your head around it when you think of what they achieved with the technology they had and the balls it must have taken to step out of that little metal box.

May you have many adventures ahead, RIP Neil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I never met you dude, but somehow I kind of knew you. A Class A Human being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Neil Armstrong didn't like the glare of publicity after the moon landings, although described by some as reclusive, he was in fact just carrying on with his life.
    He didn't do the publicity circuits, eschewed the requests for appearances for appearance sake.
    He said himself that people would expect him to know the answer to everything, and all he did know about was flying. He would often say why ask him a question wehn you can find the answer yourself by doing a bit of research.
    Neil was a modest man even after completing one of the greatest achievements of mankind. He always described it as a collaborative effort involving some 200,000 people over many years.
    He never did fall into the depression that other astronauts did after their flights, because while he was up in space he remained down to earth.

He did have private tragedy pre-Apollo when his young child Karen died from a brain tumor, it was perhaps this event in his life that allowed him to achieve great things but to put those things into perspective.

His modesty is why he was such a great man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

RIP Neil.

can't help thinking of the chorus of Tineh Temper's "Written in the Stars" at the moment. (Sky Sports Super Sunday theme tune).

"Oh, written in the stars
    A million miles away
    A message to the main
    Oh
    Seasons come and go
    But I will never change
    And I'm on my way".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Relax fella
    Obviously respect the man as I would anyone who had achieved so much, still will have a laugh as I always do in ****ty personal circumstances too, and I wasn't being disresepctful

Try posting something with a touch of humour then.

The shíte you posted was idiotic, crassly stupid and completely pointless.

I know AH isn't the most serious place on Boards, but I can't see why that should attract a race to the bottom among some posters in an effort to post the most inane comments whenever someone else opens a thread about somebody dying.

As I said earlier, it is neither funny no witty.
    When people have nothing useful to say, they are better off saying fukall.

• Advertisement
Advertisement