Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neil Armstrong Dies

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

304670_10151138075931385_2145126821_n.jpg

Goodnight, sweet Prince.

In all seriousness though, RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭starlings

Duggy747 wrote: »

He was the 1st of only 12 people in the history of our existence to have done something so monumentally huge as to walk on another surface that wasn't of this planet. I don't know how anyone could shrug their shoulders and say "So what?" to that. Yea, the planet has problems but would you really rather the money was spent buying another fighter jet, pumped into weapons research or putting a man up into the sky to advance our space exploration?

I understand the argument against the expense when there's so many problems here, and in a way I agree:

But imagination, knowledge and adventure shouldn't be weighed against food, water, shelter - we need both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

When you consider that balllpoint pen saved their lives it just goes to show it can sometimes be the simple things in life.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

starlings wrote: »
    I understand the argument against the expense when there's so many problems here, and in a way I agree:
    It cost €2.5 Bn to put a rover on Mars including funding the entire program.

That money could have have solved many problems here on Earth.
    Such as funding US commitments in Iraq/Afghanistan for about 77 hours.

If you want to know what $2 Bn gets the military here's the crew of a B2 ejecting safely during a takeoff on Guam.

skip to 1:50

http://costofwar.com/

Make no mistake.

Savings from the space program won't ever go to combat poverty or into healthcare programs. Especially when it could be used for more important things like taking a few cent of a gallon of gas during an election year.

Can't remember where this quote came from "If it hadn't been for the Vietnam war we could have condominiums on Venus by now"

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

If I had the chance to go to the moon right now... with all the technology, the money, the knowledge that mankind has gathered since then I'd still be too afraid to go. He went up there in a tin can and a few glorified compasses because it was his job and he thought it was worth doing.

What a man. R.I.P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/space/skyatnight/patrickmoore_article.shtml
    PEOPLE I HAVE MET
    by Sir Patrick Moore
    Neil took part in a conventional "knocking" programme and was fed the usual questions: "was it worth the huge sum of money?", "isn't space research a waste of time?" and so on. He then came straight into the Sky at Night studio, sat down, and said "Now let's talk about the Moon." We did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭deandean

Neil Armstrong was, to me, a very brave man and a hero.

I read recently the 2nd autobiography by Aldrin, “Magnificent Desolation: The Long Journey Home From the Moon,” it puts in words just how risky the Apollo project was for the astronauts. TBH it's hard to believe all the astronauts survived, from Apollo 8 through Apollo 17.

Here is a good linky to the programme:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Apollo_missions

Neil Armstrong, Rest In Peace.

And folks, appreciate Mr Aldrin and Mr Collins while they are still with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

pity he didnt get to see moon bases in his life time :( he always came across as suck a nice guy

paddyandy wrote: »
    A lot of Americans can't afford a doctor or a lawyer and many are destitute and were then .Walking on the Moon did nothing for the Moon except litter it
    The US is spending $ 1.4 Trillion on defence.

Aluminium and rocket fuel are cheap. Most of the NASA budget goes into wages and purchases from US companies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

RIP :(
    Theres an end of an era imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    Theres an end of an era imho

What do you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Farewell "Mr Coolstone" :(

He carried the burden of being first man impeccably well.

A humble man, who lived an extraordinary life.

RIP.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Matinee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Dont post here again
    paddyandy wrote: »
    Matinee

Banned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

It would be nice if the first person to step on Mars, whenever that may be, to use Armstrongs same Moons phrase in his honour. And thereon forever be the first words uttered whenever humans step for the first time on another rock/planet/etc for millennia to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Hungrycol wrote: »
    It would be nice if the first person to step on Mars, whenever that may be, to use Armstrongs same Moons phrase in his honour. And thereon forever be the first words uttered whenever humans step for the first time on another rock/planet/etc for millennia to come.

Things might get a little awkward if a woman steps out on Mars or wherever :P.

Advertisement