Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guy tried to rob phone

Options
  • 25-08-2012 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Just saw a a guy attempt to rob a phone from a girl as he was cycling past her. He changed his mind last minute maybe due to the fact that it wasn't an iphone or that I was looking directly at him-probably the former. The girl still isn't aware of the attempted theft, as he came from behind her. It was at 6pm and loads of people around. He had a blue jacket on with the string of the hood tied really tightly around his face. He had a really tanned face and looked really dodgy. Now to be fair, I know this thing happens all the time around Dublin but just thought I'd put it out there in case he's a serial phone snatcher. So just be aware people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sweeney1971

Welcome to the EU, open borders, its happening in England all the time but people are afraid of reporting such crimes as the Police brand them Racist if they dare mention the snatcher was other than white.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Welcome to the EU, open borders, its happening in England all the time but people are afraid of reporting such crimes as the Police brand them Racist if they dare mention the snatcher was other than white.

Give over, the vast majority of little scrotes are white.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sweeney1971

Birneybau wrote: »

Try visiting England, the white scrotes are a dying breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Hooray....a thread about open boarders.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Birneybau wrote: »

I live in England. You're talking out of your arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭aodhan2

Verte11 wrote: »
    Just saw a a guy on Manor St attempt to rob a phone from a girl as he was cycling past her. He changed his mind last minute maybe due to the fact that it wasn't an iphone or that I was looking directly at him-probably the former. The girl still isn't aware of the attempted theft, as he came from behind her. It was at 6pm and loads of people around. He had a blue jacket on with the string of the hood tied really tightly around his face. He had a really tanned face and looked really dodgy. Now to be fair, I know this thing happens all the time around Dublin but just thought I'd put it out there in case he's a serial phone snatcher. So just be aware people.

Iv seen this same bloke do this! He cycles up past the law society from the quays direction. Grabbed a girl's phone , belted up manor st and locked his bike at the centra opposite mulligans pub. Then he walked back down the way he came! I know as I was delivering currys and tried to follow him! No I didn't get the phone back and I lost him then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

strange as alot of police on foot and on car go up and down that street

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I don't care what colour they are, complete scumbags that need a right kicking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

lol, so because he was tanned he was a "foridner"?

We have our own special kind of scum in this country, we don't need to import it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Not to be sexist but women need to learn that having a smart phone and texting/interneting while walking down a busy street is asking for your phone to be robbed in Dublin. I constantly remind my girlfriend not to walk and text at the same time. I grew up in this area and it will always be home but a lot has changed since then. A lot of Dublin has changed too, especially the scumbags knowing there's money to be made from smart phones. I agree these scum need a kicking but people have to see the crime in action to do something about it. They follow women as its an easy target. My point is unless it's a phone call, a text or facebook message will wait till you get onto a bus or walk home etc you don't need to walk down the road with your phone on display.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Was a group of 4 tanned,non-Irish looking folks that had an American tourist cornered down the laneway off Grafton Street that backs out onto the Grafton Lounge,I was unlocking my bike and heard arguing,an American man was in the middle of the four tanned lads,I walked over and asked what was going on and the four lads scarpered.The American guy who was in his 50's at least was very shaken up.

I walked out to Grafton St with him and stopped a passing patrol car,the two guards I talked to knew the gang we were talking about,they apparently try to drag tourists down side streets by pretending they're selling flowers,then fleece them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

What the heck?

On topic, the junction of Westmoreland St and Fleet St is where I see the crime in the OP happen most often..people blind to who is passing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Funnily enough even if that were true we're not talking about England here are we? We're talking about Dublin.

You'd swear the way some people go on there was no crime in Ireland when everyone here was white.

And all this "people don't report crimes for fear of being branded racist" is utter nonsense. Nobody is going to call anyone a racist for stating they were robbed by someone of a different race. That's just such utter sh*te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The problem is that network operators aren't cooperating enough to technically lock these phones off ALL GSM/UMTS networks worldwide.

Once a phone's hot-listed, anyone using it should be getting a phone call from their local police force telling them they're being asked to call into the station to discuss why they are using a stolen phone and asking them how they feel about being charged with handling stolen goods.

That would put an end to this business rather quickly.

Also, the Gardaí need to make sure that they're able to take any technical evidence like "find my phone" location services that the victim can provide and use them to track the thief down.

A lot of these phones can be setup to identify their location when stolen.

As for the weird racism thing that cropped up on this thread: I feel *MUCH* more comfortable around a load of recent-immigrants in Dublin than I do around the scary local scumbags who seem to haunt the place.

The vast majority of petty crime in Dublin and elsewhere in Ireland is definitely committed by locals!

It's an odd thing, I am mostly worried when I see pasty-faced, slightly junkie-types in hoodies in both Ireland and Britain than I am of anyone else.

You'd swear the way those posters on this thread are going on that there was never any petty crime in Dublin.

Most cities have been rife with petty crime since the dawn of cities! It's just a general scummer thing.

Actually, Dublin's not the worst by a long shot when you compare it to a lot of continental European destinations. The only thing I would say is that Dublin (and also a lot of Northern English) scumbags tend to be less subtle about their approach and more visible. Perhaps it's because I can identify them more easily being a local, but I suspect it's just that they're a bit more 'brazen'.

In Paris you're generally mugged with a bit more style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

I used to work in a place where there was a girl that could put in an "order" for a cheap iphone. She managed to find 3 buyers in the short period of time I worked there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

I just wish we had a lot more gardai visably walking the beat and out on bikes through out the city center.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Marciofs

In dublin 2 where I work I see it happening often. They are guys on bicycle and they try to robe girls and distracted white talking in their phone.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

err............when did Dublin move to Engerland ?? Do i need to change my passport??

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭sticksman

On a similar note, what's the best app for tracking a stolen or lost phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Prey is what I use. It pretty handy for mobiles and laptops. If you watch the video you'll get an idea of how to use it and what it can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Not to be a pedant, but technically we don't have "open borders".

The scenario you describe also seems highly inconvenient for a police force.

Police: "Ma'm, can you describe the person who robbed yer phone?"
    Woman: "Well, he was about 5'10"... ummm short, curly, dark hair.... er.... other-than-white..."
    Police: ".....................racist."

Advertisement