Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Therapy? at the Tall Ships

• 25-08-2012 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Hey, did anyone go down to the IFSC to see Therapy? this evening?

I went there but there was an awful long queue to get in and couldn't see myself getting in before the band finished, how were they?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Here Be Monsters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Yeh, hardly worth queuing to see a band like Therapy?

Your loss... My only excuse for not being there is 6000miles.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Coburger wrote: »
    Hey, did anyone go down to the IFSC to see Therapy? this evening?

I went there but there was an awful long queue to get in and couldn't see myself getting in before the band finished, how were they?

The que went really quick . Wouldnt no much of Therapy?s songs but thought they were brilliant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 Malown

All I remember about that band is that they couldn't use the ? in their website address!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jimmi10

Great gig. I only knew two Therapy? songs before the gig but really enjoyed it still. Andy Cairns did a good job at getting the crowd going. Their cover of "Isolation" by Joy Division was whopper too, better than the original I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Hockney

Yeah decent gig alright, and free, jackpot!

I've seen Therapy? a good 7 or 8 times before.

Lots of newer stuff interspersed with a Troublegum tune every second or third song. Teethgrinder was a nice touch! I thought the newer stuff sounded great, probably because that stuff was written as a three piece, I hadn't heard a few of those tunes before and was well impressed.

Still not altogether sure about them as a three piece. Arse fell out of a few songs during the solos. There was a dude standing f*cking about with a sampler or something on the side of the stage for the entire gig, dunno what he was at, he filled in rhythm guitar on Nowhere/Knives/Screamager which helped but was otherwise inaudible, just looked strange.

Still though overall a gig worth 30 quid for free, great stage presence from Andy and Michael as always. Jesus he's gotta be the happiest bassist ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

heard they played potato junkie-well impressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Stretchryan

Seen them in Luxembourg last night and were class - great setlist including Infernal Love which i think aint been played for years. 3 tracks from new album went down very well. Some very funny impromptu stuff from Andy - Tricky supporting so reckon he must of been smoking what tricky was....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭Sklarker

Have seen them 9 or 10 times. Gig was amazing. Free and you could get right up the front with your beer:D Setlist was great, especially liked nausea
    picture.php?albumid=2245&pictureid=13944

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Good gig. The sound was dodgy though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Stopped listening to Therapy? around the time of Semi-Detached.

Anyone want to give me a quick run down of the last 'few'!

Suicide Pact – You First (1999)
    Shameless (2001)
    High Anxiety (2003)
    Never Apologise Never Explain (2004)
    One Cure Fits All (2006)
    Crooked Timber (2009)
    A Brief Crack of Light (2012)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Crooked Timber is pretty decent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Suicide Pact is decent too.
    Haven't heard the others at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Suicide Pact – You First (1999)
    Shameless (2001)
    High Anxiety (2003)
    Never Apologise Never Explain (2004)
    One Cure Fits All (2006)
    Crooked Timber (2009)
    A Brief Crack of Light (2012)

I kinda lost touch with them for allot of this period too, but got back in touch during Crooked Timber, which is a real return to form. Theres lots to like in all of the albums listed there, although don't be looking for anything commercial or even vaguely easy listening.

Brief Crack of Light is well worth listening to, but it hits on more experimental stuff too & isn't the seamless compilation of songs that Crooked Timber is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

I thought High Anxiety was good. Had a balance between the catchy punk stuff and the more challenging stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

My 2 cent:

Suicide Pact – You First (1999)- Noisy, Deranged, Manic "art" rock
    Shameless (2001) - Upbeat rock n roll. Not a fan favourite
    High Anxiety (2003) - Straight forward pop punk with some great tunes
    Never Apologise Never Explain (2004) - Raw collision of babyteeth and troublegum. My personal fav.
    One Cure Fits All (2006) -Forgettable. Some decent riffs.
    Crooked Timber (2009) -Gets a bit dub steppy here - good but not as great as some make out.
    A Brief Crack of Light (2012)- Haven't heard it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Bein thinkin similar myself although I have 3 of the 7 listed.

Suicide Pact – You First (1999) : N/A (Being meaning to check this out for awhile as its sometimes the one people recommend after Troublegum seems online is the only way you'll get this now)

Shameless (2001) : Despite being slated I dont think its as bad as made out to be by some, this seems to be the album a lot of people ditched them at. Highlights "Gimme back my brain" , "Wicked Man"

High Anxiety (2003) : Would recommend this one some good stuff indeed. Highlights "Hey Satan - You Rock" "Rust" , "If it kills me".

Never Apologise Never Explain (2004) : N/A (From this album on they are a 3-piece)

One Cure Fits All (2006) : As jpm4 mentions above and I agree majority of this is forgettable I'd even go as far as to say its the worst release by them (that I've heard anyway) Highlights: "Sprung"

Crooked Timber (2009) : N/A

A Brief Crack of Light (2012) : N/A

Advertisement