Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sub Forums For Certain Teams?

• 25-08-2012 10:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭

I've been away for awhile, and it has taken me ages to catch up on the Liverpool mega-thread. It got me wondering, is there any reason why we don't have sub-forums for the most talked about teams? I mean, we have a Go Ahead Eagles forum that no one posts in, surely a Liverpool or Manchester United forum makes sense as it would mean we could finally give some structure to the discussion about the most talked about teams.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

www.boards.co.uk would be your best bet there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I've been away for awhile, and it has taken me ages to catch up on the Liverpool mega-thread. It got me wondering, is there any reason why we don't have sub-forums for the most talked about teams? I mean, we have a Go Ahead Eagles forum that no one posts in, surely a Liverpool or Manchester United forum makes sense as it would mean we could finally give some structure to the discussion about the most talked about teams.

It would break up the forum, bad idea. It's best the way it is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Wont happen it will split the forum and we encourage debate and discussion so anything that breaks that up by moving two of the biggest supported teams threads to their own forum is silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    It would break up the forum, bad idea. It's best the way it is now.
    Most Liverpool fans only post on the megathread or match threads anyway though?

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Wont happen it will split the forum and we encourage debate and discussion so anything that breaks that up by moving two of the biggest supported teams threads to their own forum is silly.
    Most Liverpool fans only talk with other Liverpool fans though, from what I have seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

Are you asking if they do?

Are you asking if they do?
    They do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

3 of the 5 top posters on the list of posts made for that thread are regular contributors elsewhere.

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    3 of the 5 top posters on the list of posts made for that thread are regular contributors elsewhere.
    I imagine anyone who posts that much would still contribute regularly if there was a general soccer forum, and a team forum.

They do.

If you knew, why did you ask? Or was it a rhetorical question?

• Advertisement

If you knew, why did you ask? Or was it a rhetorical question?
    The latter.

The latter.

Ok, then. Glad we got that cleared up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Most Liverpool fans only talk with other Liverpool fans though, from what I have seen.

Amiable, Kess73, LL, Rarnes are all posters off the top of my head who post all over the Soccer Forum.

Theres more Liverpool fans that I cant think of now but they do actively contribute to the Forum.

Anyway the sub forum wont happen anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

I know Spurs have a sub forum already , but the priority should be a sub forum for the league of Ireland. Unlikely as certain threads have already been closed by the mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Amiable, Kess73, LL, Rarnes are all posters off the top of my head who post all over the Soccer Forum.

Theres more Liverpool fans that I cant think of now but they do actively contribute to the Forum.

you forgot Mr Alan, he also posts in the Man Utd thread.

Don't see how a separate team forum would change except for making it a lot easier to read Liverpool related information. Day to day stuff about transfers, players, etc. could go in the club forum. Match threads could go into the main forum so rival fans could engage in discussion.

Des wrote: »
    you forgot Mr Alan, he also posts in the Man Utd thread.
    If you had a United forum, I bet that he would still post there.

Don't see how a separate team forum would change except for making it a lot easier to read Liverpool related information. Day to day stuff about transfers, players, etc. could go in the club forum. Match threads could go into the main forum so rival fans could engage in discussion.

I think it'd be a bit too messy, one thread is adequate imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

There are club specific fora out there if thats what you want Francie.

If you had a United forum, I bet that he would still post there.

he'd probably be the mod.

• Advertisement

There are club specific fora out there if thats what you want Francie.

You might be interested in RAWK, if that's what you fancied

You might be interested in RAWK, if that's what you fancied
    Already on it.

Already on it.

So why do you want it replicated here.

As stupid and mental as this Soccer Forus gets from time to time, it never plumbs the depths of the likes of RAWK, Red Café, Huddleboard etc.

Fan specific forums encourage mentals to post mental opinions and not be called on them. Love-ins where eventually anyone saying

a. anything negative about the club
    b. anything positive about the rivals

are shunned and banned.

It's a toxic environment, and should be avoided.

Already on it.

Ah Francie.

So why do you want it replicated here.

As stupid and mental as this Soccer Forus gets from time to time, it never plumbs the depths of the likes of RAWK, Red Café, Huddleboard etc.

Fan specific forums encourage mentals to post mental opinions and not be called on them. Love-ins where eventually anyone saying

a. anything negative about the club
    b. anything positive about the rivals

are shunned and banned.

It's a toxic environment, and should be avoided.
    There is a Spurs sub forum and lots of outsiders post on it and it seems convivial enough.

...and before anyone starts the usual "well the forum of my rivals is definitely worse than the forum of the team I support - no really but it really is really - don't. They are all as bad as each other, RAWK, Red Café, Shelsweb, Gypoweb, Huddelboard, Follow Follow - all full of mentals saying mental things to other mentals.

Ah Francie.
    RAWK is one of the better Liverpool forums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I don't think you need separate forum for a particular club.

But on that subject I always thought it might be useful to lump all the "club superthreads" together in a separate sub forum. I follow the football news and opinions here and occasionally even look at the matchthreads, but by comparison I have absolutely no interest in reading the club specific threads or seeing them dominating page 1.

Anyway, that's just my 2c.

There is a Spurs sub forum and lots of outsiders post on it and it seems convivial enough.

Apparently that forum was a mistake based on a Spurs fan having high up buddies but one thst can't now be rectified.

• Advertisement

kitakyushu wrote: »
    I don't think you need separate forum for a particular club.

But on that subject I always thought it might be useful to lump all the "club superthreads" together in a separate sub forum. I follow the football news and opinions here and occasionally even look at the matchthreads, but by comparison I have absolutely no interest in reading the club specific threads or seeing them dominating page 1.

Anyway, that's just my 2c.
    Agreed, a lot of interesting stuff gets lost with the current structure.

That says it all really.

you need to know the history of the Spurs forum before commenting on it's existence.

It was created back years ago when Boards.ie was a much smaller place, when a guy who was friendly with an Admin could approach the Admin over IRC or in the pub and get a forum created - I know because I've actually done it myself.

So, years ago a Spurs fan who was bessie mates with an Admin asked the Admin to make the Spurs forum, and so it was.

It just doesn't work like that any more.

Fair? No, probably not, but Boards.ie is not and never has been a democracy, so fairness doesn't come into it in the slightest.

Apparently that forum was a mistake based on a Spurs fan having high up buddies but one thst can't now be rectified.
    Looking at the discussion, it doesn't look like a mistake to me.

That says it all really.
    I am not saying it's good, but it is better than Koptalk.

Looking at the discussion, it doesn't look like a mistake to me.

Well put it this way it wouldn't be allowed if yhe decision could be made again.

• Advertisement

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

it's actually a cesspit. As most team specific forums are.

apart from the shelbourne one, that's really good.

It wasn't a mistake.

From reading your posts today, you used the word "cat" a lot for a Waterford man.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

it's actually a cesspit. As most team specific forums are.

apart from the shelbourne one, that's really good.

It wasn't a mistake.

From reading your posts today, you used the word "cat" a lot for a Waterford man.

Of course it was a mistake look at the trouble it causes everytime thid debate comes up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I use to love the idea of the superthreads but as boards has grown they have become far too busy and I think any meaningful discussion suffers really badly.

For the most part the superthreads have become like chatrooms about each club rather than a platform for intelligent well argued discussion about topics. This board has a huge amount of really good contributors and the forum should be about giving those people a platform to air those views to encourage better intelligent football related discussion on a wide array of topics. It's impossible or a waste of time currently within the structure to bother writing anything of substance as threads are so fast moving with multiple discussions going on at once and often you're also fighting against a sea of **** like Rodger currently is creating in the Liverpool thread.

I love the line 'we want to encourage debate and discussion'. Well at the moment the forum does the exact opposite. Generally nothing of any substance is discussed across the lines of the superthreads bar the odd random thread. Not saying I have a solution but the forum feels like it should be much much better. I can't remember the last time anyone went to the trouble of actually starting a thread with a piece they had written themselves in relation to football for discussion. Feels funny when I read comments about how sky dumb down the game and how great it's to see the likes of Neville adding new depth to the commentary while this forum continues to exist without much meaningful football discussion.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Ban all those stupid troll pictures
    Make it compulsory to enter at least 7 or 8 lines

Just these 2 things would improve things no end

They would encourage better debate, and stop the troll like one liners and lazy gifs forcing people to construct intelligent arguments rather than just casual slagging off

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

CSF wrote: »
    www.boards.co.uk would be your best bet there

Haha, Tom must have sold the domain, crafty hoor.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

They would encourage better debate, and stop the troll like one liners and lazy gifs forcing people to construct intelligent arguments rather than just casual slagging off

irishbro.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

opr is swaying me tbh. Sub fora would drag away the superthreads from the main forum, and let match threads and general discussion dominate the main forum.

Can anybody tell me why the end of the world will be nigh or nee or whatever?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me why the end of the world will be nigh or nee or whatever?

'Cause it's 2012 and the world's going to end on 21/12 or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Hey...leave gifs alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,721 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Fair? No, probably not, but Boards.ie is not and never has been a democracy, so fairness doesn't come into it in the slightest.

Mmm, i thought boards would be about fairness and democracy , rather than rigid dictatorships - but what would i know :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭frankled

opr wrote: »
    I use to love the idea of the superthreads but as boards has grown they have become far too busy and I think any meaningful discussion suffers really badly.

For the most part the superthreads have become like chatrooms about each club rather than a platform for intelligent well argued discussion about topics. This board has a huge amount of really good contributors and the forum should be about giving those people a platform to air those views to encourage better intelligent football related discussion on a wide array of topics. It's impossible or a waste of time currently within the structure to bother writing anything of substance as threads are so fast moving with multiple discussions going on at once and often you're also fighting against a sea of **** like Rodger currently is creating in the Liverpool thread.

I love the line 'we want to encourage debate and discussion'. Well at the moment the forum does the exact opposite. Generally nothing of any substance is discussed across the lines of the superthreads bar the odd random thread. Not saying I have a solution but the forum feels like it should be much much better. I can't remember the last time anyone went to the trouble of actually starting a thread with a piece they had written themselves in relation to football for discussion. Feels funny when I read comments about how sky dumb down the game and how great it's to see the likes of Neville adding new depth to the commentary while this forum continues to exist without much meaningful football discussion.

Opr

Spot on. I'm more of a reader than a contributor here but from constantly following the Liverpool thread it is clear that it can be awkward following a certain topic. The fast moving nature of the thread(s) means that a more detailed discussion or larger posts get lost in the pace of it all.

The only thing is, I would imagine, is the potential precedent set by this, i.e. soon everyone could want a club forum. Maybe it could be trialed?

Anyway, that's my 2c, I'm off to lurk some more..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Every year we dot his and every year it's rejected.

Let it go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

opr wrote: »

Opr

Even if you're right that the forum is of poor quality recently, team subforums is not a fix.

I do find it amusing that we have to do this 'but why can't boards.ie be like redcafe / rawk / any ten a penny club forum' rubbish once a year though. :rolleyes:

thebaz wrote: »
    Mmm, i thought boards would be about fairness and democracy , rather than rigid dictatorships - but what would i know :confused:

I really don't know what ever gave you that idea. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

thebaz wrote: »

lol

"Fairness" is unfortunately difficult to quantify and I'm sure you'd find plenty of people to argue the site is fair or not fair
    "Democracy" has a more rigid definition and there is nothing about boards.ie that is democratic, like any business

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement