Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

300 yard grouping.

• 25-08-2012 9:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭

MOD NOTE

Split off from this original thread.

======================================================================================================

Well my accuracy is quarter inch groups at 300 yards and its noise reduction seemingly that bit better than my last .25 mod so I cannot fault using .3 mod on a .243 caliber

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

4200fps wrote: »
    Well my accuracy is quarter inch groups at 300 yards

I'd like to see that. Three consecutive groups on the same piece of paper would suffice for evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Well my accuracy is quarter inch groups at 300 yards

Have any pics of them groups? I would find that hard enough to do with my FTR rig and reloaded ammo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

I've them on a metal plate. Would you spin down to leitrim and I can show you's in person any time. Its a Tikka Rifle,Sako rings and a Swarovski 6x24-50 scope. Fueled by Hornadys 58 grin Superformance.
    If you have cheap glass,cheap mounts and cheap rifle and cheap bullets you won't get performance and thats the bottom line.With the magnification I have it makes things much easier. Why don't you's come and see cause if I put up paper what proof have I that it wasn't 200 yards or 100 yards I shot it. I've a metal plate and you can see how it wasn't able to penetrate through it like it would at 100yards at ease

dev110 wrote: »
    Have any pics of them groups? I would find that hard enough to do with my FTR rig and reloaded ammo.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/561663_476366825714418_1869516884_n.jpg

If you own a 243 thats 13mm mild steel plate and at that range she won't go through even at 200 yards but at 200 yards she goes very deep into it. 1st shot is on right. Plate fell back at a 60 degree angle I fire'd again and bullet skidded of the plate thats why it didn't mushroom like the 1st shot. Too far to walk to stand it up again. This was rangefinded by TriggerPL. Plate was resting against block as a prop

If you're getting *consistent* half inch groups at 300 yards, congratulations, you have probably the most accurate rifle on earth, and are a hell of a shot. If you've done it once or twice, great, but my money says otherwise. One swallow does not make a summer and all that.

• Advertisement

Ah so it was a 2 shot group and with the second round I wouldn't even know where the centre is tbh
    Also I say from the centre of the first shot to the outside of the mushroom of the first shot is 1/4".

If you're getting *consistent* half inch groups at 300 yards, congratulations, you have probably the most accurate rifle on earth, and are a hell of a shot. If you've done it once or twice, great, but my money says otherwise. One swallow does not make a summer and all that.
    What do you own Mr perfect? Opinions are free on this I thought. I put up a picture and you go daft. Whats with the snide remarks can you explain??? Are you saying if theres 2 bullet holes kissing its not shooting straight? Are you saying its not grouping especially at that range?

Ah so it was a 2 shot group and with the second round I wouldn't even know where the centre is tbh
    Also I say from the centre of the first shot to the outside of the mushroom of the first shot is 1/4".
    I seen where the round hit so I aimed again exactly where I was aiming when I took the 1st shot and the bullet kissed my 1st shot. It looks 1/4 to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

I seen where the round hit so I aimed again exactly where I was aiming when I took the 1st shot and the bullet kissed my 1st shot. It looks 1/4 to me
    Dont worry,its assumed by some that you got to be a TARGET shooter to be able to shoot;)Good shooting mate :cool:

tomcat220t wrote: »
    Dont worry,its assumed by some that you got to be a TARGET shooter to be able to shoot;)Good shooting mate :cool:
    You said the very truth tomcat;)

• Advertisement

Honestly dev110 would you say thats not kissing at that range? 300 yards is well over some peoples limits. Consider a fox at that range thats a clean shot not just one but twice in my opinion.

Wasn't a target shooter when I did this with my .223 at 300 ;)

IMAG0121.jpg

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76332506&postcount=50
    Honestly dev110 would you say thats not kissing at that range? 300 yards is well over some peoples limits. Consider a fox at that range thats a clean shot not just one but twice in my opinion.

Ah there close al right and respectful shooting too but wouldn't consider it a group. It would have been a dead fox either way though

What do you own Mr perfect? Opinions are free on this I thought. I put up a picture and you go daft. Whats with the snide remarks can you explain??? Are you saying if theres 2 bullet holes kissing its not shooting straight? Are you saying its not grouping especially at that range?

What I have and own is irrelevant. I call bull**** when someone says their rifle shoots 1/4" groups at 300 yards, because the implication is that they do it consistently, and they don't. You're right, it'd kill a fox clean, and it's two shots nice and tight, but that doesn't mean your rifle shoots 1/4" groups at 300 yards. It means your rifle has, once, put two shots close together at 300 yards. Not that it's not good shooting, it is, but unrealistic claims about rifles shooting 1/12 MOA without the information that it was two shots, and once, get a raised eyebrow from me. Nice rifle, nice shooting, but not realistic to expect it all the time.

That is good shooting. Well I got ate from the other buck when I said it was 300 yards. It can be done, if it was a fox he be pushing up the flowers big style. In my opinion if I shoot a target when zeroing in a rifle and for example i pick a spot and fire. Bullet hits, I re-aim at the very spot I was 1st aiming at and I fire a 2nd bullet which hits my 1st bullet hole or hits right beside it. I would say its grouping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Are you saying its not grouping especially at that range?
    I think they're actually quoting Carl Sagan 4200:
    Carl Sagan wrote:
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence
    At 300 yards, a half-inch group measured ISSF-style (ie edge-to-edge) is 0.1136 MOA; if you're measuring center-to-center, it's 0.1592 MOA.

If you're claiming you can shoot that with your rifle, and you can prove it, people will beat a path to your door to learn how you did it.

If you're claiming it and you can't prove it, well, you know what they say about braggards in our sport, don't you? :D

(Personally, though, I don't count two shots as a group. Show me five, and I'll call it a group as a favour; show me ten and I'll know it as a group)

Sparks wrote: »
    Show me five, and I'll call it a group as a favour; show me ten and I'll know it as a group)

Yeah, I should have stopped at five. Or, y'know, nine...

Photo0097.jpg?t=1345407946

Yeah, I should have stopped at five. Or, y'know, nine...
    See, there you go. Solid shooting with a good rifle, eliminating all the wind and light variables, and you get around 2.3 MOA (measuring edge-to-edge). So when someone claims with two shots on a metal plate to be getting 0.16 MOA, it's kindof a big claim 4200...

That is good shooting. Well I got ate from the other buck when I said it was 300 yards. It can be done, if it was a fox he be pushing up the flowers big style. In my opinion if I shoot a target when zeroing in a rifle and for example i pick a spot and fire. Bullet hits, I re-aim at the very spot I was 1st aiming at and I fire a 2nd bullet which hits my 1st bullet hole or hits right beside it. I would say its grouping.
    Your bang on the money .... 2-3 shots for a hunting rig is a group !
    A rifle set up to shoot 5 shots well would be a different rifle that would shoot 20 shots well ,imo.

See, there you go. Solid shooting with a good rifle, eliminating all the wind and light variables, and you get around 2.3 MOA (measuring edge-to-edge). So when someone claims with two shots on a metal plate to be getting 0.16 MOA, it's kindof a big claim 4200...

Eliminating wind and light variables my hole. That was a breezy day in Midlands. :p That group is a 105.9, and the first five make 53.3.

Your bang on the money .... 2-3 shots for a hunting rig is a group !
    A rifle set up to shoot 5 shots well would be a different rifle that would shoot 20 shots well ,imo.
    Ye what now?
    Feck's sake lad, are ye shooting or just feckin' around?

• Advertisement

Eliminating wind and light variables my hole. That was a breezy day in Midlands. :p That group is a 105.9, and the first five make 53.3.
    My bad, I thought that was in DURC!
    Approximately 0.97 MOA so :D

Ye what now?
    What you mean by, Fecks sake lad???

Ye what now?

To be fair, Sparks, I fire three-shot groups with a hunting rifle too (Centrefire - rimfire would be tens). I don't care what size group it makes for five or more, I just need to know where the first two to three shots (in extremis) are going, and if I'm checking drop at distance or something, it's three shots, with anything I shank marked and disregarded. By the same token, I'm happy enough to say my gun shoots well for three shots at any distance I've shot it to (out to 300m) and I don't care what it shoots for more than that, but I'm not going to say it's a solid, consistent 1/2 MOA shooter either, unlike the target rifle!

Two or three shots is not a group. Two or three shots could be either a great rifle, shot well; or a bad rifle and bad ammo, shot badly, but where the errors acted against one another; ie. you aimed right, but the wind and the ammo pulled left; on the next shot you aimed left and the wind and ammo pulled right. Shoot more than two or three shots and you see the real story.

And you definitely need more shots than that to go around claiming you have a 0.1MOA rifle :D

What I have and own is irrelevant. I call bull**** when someone says their rifle shoots 1/4" groups at 300 yards, because the implication is that they do it consistently, and they don't. You're right, it'd kill a fox clean, and it's two shots nice and tight, but that doesn't mean your rifle shoots 1/4" groups at 300 yards. It means your rifle has, once, put two shots close together at 300 yards. Not that it's not good shooting, it is, but unrealistic claims about rifles shooting 1/12 MOA without the information that it was two shots, and once, get a raised eyebrow from me. Nice rifle, nice shooting, but not realistic to expect it all the time.
    I don't shoot paper only when zeroing but I was explaining how accurate the rifle is with a .3 bore mod. I can knock foxs at ease at 400 yards, the picture was to show how tight bullets can kiss, I do it all day if my Tikka had a varmint barrel so I wouldn't have to be waiting 15 mins in between each shot to make sure it was fully cooled. Tight grouping for the caliber .243 is expected and out of the box accuracy is expected from Tikka rifles not alone Swarovski Optics

Two or three shots is not a group. Two or three shots could be either a great rifle, shot well; or a bad rifle and bad ammo, shot badly, but where the errors acted against one another; ie. you aimed right, but the wind and the ammo pulled left; on the next shot you aimed left and the wind and ammo pulled right. Shoot more than two or three shots and you see the real story.

And you definitely need more shots than that to go around claiming you have a 0.1MOA rifle :D
    I'm not claiming anything Sparks but I don't spend my time punching paper to know if its called grouping or not

I don't shoot paper only when zeroing but I was explaining how accurate the rifle is with a .3 bore mod. I can knock foxs at ease at 400 yards, the picture was to show how tight bullets can kiss, I do it all day if my Tikka had a varmint barrel so I wouldn't have to be waiting 15 mins in between each shot to make sure it was fully cooled. Tight grouping for the caliber .243 is expected and out of the box accuracy is expected from Tikka rifles not alone Swarovski Optics
    What Swarovski scope are ya hunting with mate ?

Ithe picture was to show how tight bullets can kiss, I do it all day if my Tikka had a varmint barrel so I wouldn't have to be waiting 15 mins in between each shot to make sure it was fully cooled.
    No mate, you can't. And because you don't shoot enough paper, you don't even know it -- but those who do spend enough time on the range know you can't, and you look a little silly to them right now, like the taxi driver who knows just how to fix the economy, the problems with the entire political process, the tourism industry, the healthcare system and the educational system, and who could even make the trains run on time...
    ...only he's too busy driving a taxi to do any of that, you understand.

Take your rifle to a range. Shoot some actual, honest to goodness groups. On paper. With more than one or two shots per group. Take your time, do it right, let the barrel cool if you want to. Don't worry about reporting back; just do it out of curiosity, to see what the actual story is with your firearm. Do it just for the knowledge. I would bet euros to danishes that you won't be getting actual half-inch groups at 300 yards when you put more than four or five shots downrange into the same target.

What Swarovski scope are ya hunting with mate ?
    Its a Swarovski Habicht 6-24x50 lad. Swarovski dedicate their optics to hunters ;) Well one shot does the kill for me. I use it for hunting and hunting only. I don't need to fire 5 rounds to see if its hitting the target. As you know I was only tring to explain that she's very accurate to me with a .3 bore moderator on a .243 thats the point I was bringing to the thread. Its there in color and I see nothing wrong with it from a hunters point of view. Its a hit and if it was flesh it wouldn't be standing for a 2nd shot

• Advertisement

IWell one shot does the kill for me.
    Well, you're behind the rifle, so you shouldn't care about what does it for you; knowing what will do it for the quarry (rather than just thinking you know) is the important thing. It's part of that whole "respect for the quarry" thing, isn't it?

Advertisement