Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin tall ships

Options
  • 25-08-2012 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if there are plans to bring this home to waterford after giving the dubs a loan of it for a year?

The media have been all over it this year predictably unlike when we had it, the city needs to get it back, hopefully as soon as possible to help waterford from dying on its knees. The quays in Waterford suited the event much better in my opinion.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Sure dublin bus sent buses down so had a bit of dublin in it all along:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

wellboy76 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there are plans to bring this home to waterford after giving the dubs a loan of it for a year?

God I hope not. I went to see the Tall Ships for the first time last year and hated every second of it. It was like the fifth circle of hell on the quay. Trestle tables along the waterfront stacked high with cheap off license beer, drunks every where a more unsuitable environment for families it's hard to imagine. The dirt and general dissarray of the people and environment was hard to credit. I couldn't see much upside for any business in Waterford from it other than a few offies near the quay and I suppose the hotels.

If there's to be a return I hope real efforts are made to improve the "product" both the event and the venue. Setting up the quay for a huge outdoor p***up doesn't count as making the best use of the oppurtunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

God I hope not. I went to see the Tall Ships for the first time last year and hated every second of it. It was like the fifth circle of hell on the quay. Trestle tables along the waterfront stacked high with cheap off license beer, drunks every where a more unsuitable environment for families it's hard to imagine. The dirt and general dissarray of the people and environment was hard to credit. I couldn't see much upside for any business in Waterford from it other than a few offies near the quay and I suppose the hotels.

If there's to be a return I hope real efforts are made to improve the "product" both the event and the venue. Setting up the quay for a huge outdoor p***up doesn't count as making the best use of the oppurtunity.

Ah go away would ya, it was a Fantasic weekend , your the only person I've heard to complain about it and I happen to know some very fussy people!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

being on duty for this event this year, there is little or no on street drinking. there is a serious amount of officials from all organisations wandering around and there is a great buzz!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

The media have been all over it this year predictably unlike when we had it, the city needs to get it back, hopefully as soon as possible to help waterford from dying on its knees. The quays in Waterford suited the event much better in my opinion.

I have to agree on the point of Waterford being more suited to the event! I have taken part in the races myself so have been with it to a few different ports around the world, and Waterford was one of the better ones I think! The port layout but also the general atmosphere in around the city was great! I was in dublin yesterday and it was the worst port I've seen it in by far! I don't know why but it just didn't seem to gel with the city!

After having it here 2 years in a row I can't see it coming back for another 5/6 years at least, especially now that we no longer have a ship competing!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

alan1990 wrote: »
    After having it here 2 years in a row I can't see it coming back for another 5/6 years at least, especially now that we no longer have a ship competing!

I thought it was 2005 and 2011 they were in Waterford.

Teebor15 wrote: »
    I thought it was 2005 and 2011 they were in Waterford.

Yeah Waterford 2011 and Dublin 2012....I ment Ireland as a whole not just Waterford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

They'll be back eventually I'd say. Give it a chance, we still haven't taken down last years banner across the quay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

JenniFurr wrote: »
    They'll be back eventually I'd say. Give it a chance, we still haven't taken down last years banner across the quay!
    thats prob because they can't afford to cover up the eyesore that is the flour mill with something else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

thats prob because they can't afford to cover up the eyesore that is the flour mill with something else

Anybody know anyone with some explosives?
    Take it out once & for all.......

I'd say you hit the nail on the head there. I suppose it's better than the creepy child that was on it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

its the first ever reinforced building ever built in this country so it would be a very hard job to bring that down with explosives

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

JenniFurr wrote: »
    I'd say you hit the nail on the head there. I suppose it's better than the creepy child that was on it before.
    No way! The child picture was different and a great talking point. Looked awesome on foggy days.
    its the first ever reinforced building ever built in this country so it would be a very hard job to bring that down with explosives

Damn.....lots of explosives?

No way! The child picture was different and a great talking point. Looked awesome on foggy days.

Each to their own. Wasn't my cup of tea at all but I'm not particularly fond kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Give the job to Sinn Fein they'll get the right man for the job :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

:eek: NOOOO! With a good architect that could be restored to a new use. The back has a certain architectural quality to it. If the silos and other external metal bits were removed there is a shell of a building that something could be done with exactly like what happened with the granary building. This is the kind of thing that would help Waterford with its jobs problem. Restore this building to office space and work to get a company to move in. There is no large scale office space in the city for a sizeable company to locate in. Why not fix this by redeveloping a brown field site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

BBM77 wrote: »
    :eek: NOOOO! With a good architect that could be restored to a new use. The back has a certain architectural quality to it. If the silos and other external metal bits were removed there is a shell of a building that something could be done with exactly like what happened with the granary building. This is the kind of thing that would help Waterford with its jobs problem. Restore this building to office space and work to get a company to move in. There is no large scale office space in the city for a sizeable company to locate in. Why not fix this by redeveloping a brown field site.

I've often wondered that, surely some of it could be kept/restored/renovated? If there was buildings going to go there, it would seem a bit of a waste to just level the place first.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bilibob

There are loads of empty office buildings, Railway square, Maritana gate, and all the spaces out in the industrial estate. But I know what you mean. The googles and paypals that dublin gets take entire blocks of office space. the buildings on the north quays do have a certain architectural beauty and probably would be big enough and would have room for expansion if needs must.
    Thinking of the tall ships, I'm glad Dublin had a good run at it, and I dont think its fair to be almost 'jealous' of their success in Dublin. There were plenty from Dublin who supported our tall ships festival last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

http://buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=WA&regno=22900908

Just found this, the part I was talking about is older than I thought, it was built in 1905. I think it is just another case of Waterford people not realising the significance of what we have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

I thought I heard somewhere that it can't come back to Ireland until 2016? If so you can guarantee Dublin will get it with it being the 100 year anniversary of the Easter Rising. So forget about drinking cans on the quay for it that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,650 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I was at both the Waterford and Dublin event (and the previous Dublin one a few years ago)... The Dublin event was amazing. Great atmosphere, amazing buzz on the quays stretching in to town. It was very much a family event rather than a drinking cans event, families and kids enjoying the ships and all the good food on offer on either side of the quays. Alan1990 has it all wrong to be honest. I got chatting to a good few of the crews and they felt Dublin was the best stop over.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I was at both the Waterford and Dublin event (and the previous Dublin one a few years ago)... The Dublin event was amazing. Great atmosphere, amazing buzz on the quays stretching in to town. It was very much a family event rather than a drinking cans event, families and kids enjoying the ships and all the good food on offer on either side of the quays. Alan1990 has it all wrong to be honest. I got chatting to a good few of the crews and they felt Dublin was the best stop over.

I never knew an opinion could be wrong!
    You were chatting to some crew who gave their opinion, I gave my opinion....who decides which is right and which is wrong??

alan1990 wrote: »
    I never knew an opinion could be wrong

Well you learn something new every day. Now, I'm (unlike you) not putting down the Waterford event, I really enjoyed it, I just think your opinion of the event not suiting Dublin is wrong. The Dublin event was enjoyed by an awful lot of people!!

Well you learn something new every day. Now, I'm (unlike you) not putting down the Waterford event, I really enjoyed it, I just think your opinion of the event not suiting Dublin is wrong. The Dublin event was enjoyed by an awful lot of people!!

Where did I put down the Waterford event? I'm pretty sure I said it was one of the better ones I've been at!

Listen I'm not going to argue with you about it, and I'm not going to be ignorant and tell you your opinion is wrong, it's your opinion and I respect that! I've been to the tall ships in Waterford both times, I was crew on a ship in Gdynia, St Petersburg and Turku, I was in Dublin this year and in my opinion out of all the ports I've been to I felt Dublin was the worst!
    Don't get me wrong I enjoyed it and it was great to see the ships, but I'm entitled to my opinion!

Do you mind me asking what crews you were talking to? Permie crew who travel the world on the boats or the trainees who sailed over form La Coronia, because I'm sure they would give you very different answers!

No, you put down the Dublin event. ;)

It was a massive success, the quays were shut down and pedestrianised, there were hundreds of food stalls, it was very well organised. Everyone I met there was having a ball, visitors and crews. I was out in the bay for the floatilla... overall a great regatta and family weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

It was a massive success, the quays were shut down and pedestrianised, there were hundreds of food stalls, it was very well organised. Everyone I met there was having a ball, visitors and crews. I was out in the bay for the floatilla... overall a great regatta and family weekend.

You obviously aren't including the Luas in this. I was at the Dublin one on Sunday and to say public transport was a joke would be an understatement.

The Luas was packed, to crushing levels, with no-one at the stops controlling people getting on. It was actually dangerous, and thankfully there wasn't an accident. They then decided to terminate some services at Heuston, despite the tram being packed, meaning everyone had to get off and wait for the next, already overflowing, tram to arrive.

I think this may be where the idea that Waterford is better suited for the Tall Ships comes from. Getting into and out of Dublin City Centre was a nightmare, compared to getting into Waterford last year.

I also felt the atmosphere wasn't great for some reason. There was an awful lot of people there, but for some reason there was a lack of 'buzz'. As silly as it sounds, I think it was too packed and people were getting hot and bothered trying to get around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

The bit I've bolded is identical to the Waterford event. :pac:

Benimar wrote: »
    It was actually dangerous

Really, that's terrible, you must be traumatised. I got a Dublin bike myself, you should try them, then I got a Dart to Howth, it was packed, but that isn't a bother to most people...
    Jason Todd wrote: »
    The bit I've bolded is identical to the Waterford event. pacman.gif

Thanks, but no need, as I have already said, the Waterford event was great. ;)

• Advertisement

Benimar wrote: »
    You obviously aren't including the Luas in this. I was at the Dublin one on Sunday and to say public transport was a joke would be an understatement.

The Luas was packed, to crushing levels, with no-one at the stops controlling people getting on. It was actually dangerous, and thankfully there wasn't an accident. They then decided to terminate some services at Heuston, despite the tram being packed, meaning everyone had to get off and wait for the next, already overflowing, tram to arrive.

I don't know how this is any different to the Luas the majority of the time. I used to get the red line everyday. I've many memories like being called out for a fight with a 16 year old girl, overhearing chats between shoplifters on their way to court and being squished in general.

Advertisement