Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin tall ships

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

JenniFurr wrote: »
    I don't know how this is any different to the Luas the majority of the time. I used to get the red line everyday. I've many memories like being called out for a fight with a 16 year old girl, overhearing chats between shoplifters on their way to court and being squished in general.

At the best of times it can be a nightmare ok, but Sunday was the worst I've seen. People were getting off from Jervis on and walking down as they couldn't handle it any more. As much as a previous poster tried to trivialise it, people were literally wedged in.

All it would have taken was for someone to be at the 'major' stops either allowing or stopping people getting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,650 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Benimar wrote: »
    people were literally wedged in

Just shows you how popular the Dublin event stop over was. As mentioned yourself, even with the huge volumes, there wasn't an accident. Cracking, well organised event.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Just shows you how popular the Dublin event stop over was. As mentioned yourself, even with the huge volumes, there wasn't an accident. Cracking, well organised event.

More through luck than any good planning by the way. The numbers were also increased by the All Ireland semi final.

Well organised event it most certainly was not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

wellboy76 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there are plans to bring this home to waterford after giving the dubs a loan of it for a year?

The media have been all over it this year predictably unlike when we had it, the city needs to get it back, hopefully as soon as possible to help waterford from dying on its knees. The quays in Waterford suited the event much better in my opinion.

It wont be back in Ireland for another 5 years and then it will be held in Belfast. I'm afraid Waterford will not get it again for a long time. It will take more than a Tall Ships event every few years to stop Waterford from dying on its arse.

Benimar wrote: »
    The numbers were also increased by the All Ireland semi final.

I forgot about the All Ireland. Great that the city can handle the largest festival in the country along with the All Ireland, the city was really jumping, great friendly buzz around the place. I was just talking to a few friends that sailed up from Waterford, they thought it was one of the best festivals they have every been to.

Great write up here in the Times.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0826/breaking18.html

The negative comments about the Dublin event here are petty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I was at both the Waterford and Dublin event (and the previous Dublin one a few years ago)... The Dublin event was amazing. Great atmosphere, amazing buzz on the quays stretching in to town. It was very much a family event rather than a drinking cans event, families and kids enjoying the ships and all the good food on offer on either side of the quays. Alan1990 has it all wrong to be honest. I got chatting to a good few of the crews and they felt Dublin was the best stop over.

Was at Dublin this year and in Waterford the last two times and a number of other cities in Northern Europe over the last few years. Felt Dublin lacked atmosphere/buzz compared to Waterford larger crowds could have an affect IMO and a few people who were there said the same. Dublin lost out on a larger number of ships as they were in London which was unlucky but it was still great.

Public transport in Dublin was a disgrace in particular trains, overall I felt that DCC and public transport operators should of come together and came up with plans. (they probably did but it wasn't reflected in the shambles over the weekend.)

No disrespect but have you evdience to back that statement up as I have heard differently and i also don't think its revelent.

I have herad stories about peoples impression many who were visitors to Ireland and it was very mixed but expect that is from all events.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    No disrespect but have you evdience to back that statement up as I have heard differently and i also don't think its revelent

Ah, jealous, bitchy pub talk is all you heard! Regarding evidence, I'm afraid you can't bottle the type of atmosphere Dublin produces at a festival! But... You have my word and there are plenty of reports and articles in various papers and websites that will tell you how good it was, and what a success it was. And, of course it's relevant, it's a thread about the Dublin Tall Ships Festival!

Advertisement