Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new hard drives backward compatible with sata2

Options
  • 26-08-2012 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭

Are all more recent SATA hard drives backwards compatible with a SATA 2 motherboard?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

yes, in fact any hdd that claims to be sata3 is lying. HDDs don't even come close to saturating sata2 speeds, let alone "600mbps interface".

BTW love the username.

I haven't come across any compatibility issues with using SATA 6Gb/s drives on a 3Gb/s interface but I do know that Western Digital 6Gb/s drives have a jumper to drop the link speed to 3Gb/s.

I have come across issues with using 6Gb/s or 3Gb/s drives on some 1.5Gb/s interfaces though, namely PowerMac G5s and PCs with VIA 8237R southbridge chipsets. While the 3Gb/s drives could usually be dropped to 1.5 with a jumper, the 6Gb/s drives cannot.

As Tea_Bag says, the whole exercise is kinda pointless, as the drives are too slow to benefit from the uprated interface. Except maybe with cache reads, but they'd be few and far between.

Advertisement