Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Knitting, sewing or crochet?

• 26-08-2012 2:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭

I believe that AH is full of gentlemen so I am wondering how many of you were taught these skills in school, most of the chaps I know have had some lessons and can do plain or pearl.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

I forget how to knit and crochet, but I can still sew.

Home Economics, like a boss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I can't knit or sew because I could never get it. Took engineering at school instead. Now I can weld, lathe function parts and build projects...but I can't feed myself :(

WTF is crochet? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Im impressed keep it up, my hubby superglued the crotch back on his jeans. Patches were the style of the times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I went to school in the 90s; by then all of this kinda stuff was gone I think.

Or maybe they felt it was sexist since it was a mixed school and the lads clearly would be disadvantaged. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I have a radio in my car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

took home economics and did fook all, baked stuff and attemped to sew, i never ate anything i made because it was so bad but my mate wasnt long eating the lot

TL;dr wasnt able to bake or sew to save me life in school 10 years later nothings changed :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

1ZRed wrote: »
    I can't knit or sew because I could never get it. Took engineering at school instead. Now I can weld, lathe function parts and build projects...but I can't feed myself :(

this is it.jpg you likey?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

I believe that AH is full of gentlemen so I am wondering how many of you were taught these skills in school, most of the chaps I know have had some lessons and can do plain or pearl.

Believe it or not, it helps children's handwriting. They get more control of their fingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Im impressed keep it up, my hubby superglued the crotch back on his jeans. Patches were the style of the times.

TBH I learned very little in school. What they taught was absolute crap. Particularly with cooking.

I've been able to cook & bake since I was about 10. Learned a bit from my Mam, mostly taught myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

this is it.jpg you likey?

No. Even that's verging on too gay for me tbh :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

In primary school we used to do tapestry and embroidery. I done one that was supposed to look like a puppy but it just looked like a brown smudge. I was absolutely terrible and never did it again. I refused :p Made a welcome mat/rug thing in primary school once though and it turned out brilliantly :D

I have no idea how to sew or do anything like it. I've never had to do it, that's what mammy's are for :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I love cross stitching ....my favourite thing to do to pass time :)

Besides drinking and smoking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I was taught to knit by an aincent nun when i was 4, best thing ever, total zone out while knitting.
    A german neighbour taught me to sew and embrioder.
    I taught myself to crochet.
    Took home ec 6 weeks before the leaving, as i was sure id fail french , got a c3 in honors. Probably the only way i got into college.
    Took welding and cnc and leath work, found they so easy compared to kniting and crochet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

When I was in primary school the boys went hurling and the girls had knitting lessons. Always felt sorry them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

1ZRed wrote: »

It's like knitting, but with one hook instead of two needles. I find it much easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

They tried to teach me to knit in Primary school but I just couldn't get it. My Mam knitted the cushion we were forced to make for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

We were taught how to sew in Primary and Secondary schools. Wouldn't have a clue how to do it now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Is that stuff not woman magic ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

They taught us Knitting in school, we used the needles to stab the guy sitting in front of us so they'd get in trouble when they yelped.

Of course knitting has it's advantages when the zombie apocalypse comes, with a ready supply of sheep all over the country we'll be able to knit all the clothes and accessories we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I thought this kind of thing was only done in far-eastern sweat-shops by three-year old malnourished kids?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I thought this kind of thing was only done in far-eastern sweat-shops by three-year old malnourished kids?
    This was the 80s in Ireland, we were the 3 year old malnourished kids. The knitwear was then shipped out to African boutiques.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

ScumLord wrote: »
    This was the 80s in Ireland, we were the 3 year old malnourished kids. The knitwear was then shipped out to African boutiques.

Those Magdalene jumpers are still being worn by Nigerian princes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you've ever seen a knitting machine in action you quickly loose all interest in hand knitting.

Especially when you know you can hook it up to a computer and 'print' pictures with it. http://learn.adafruit.com/electroknit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

phasers wrote: »
    They tried to teach me to knit in Primary school but I just couldn't get it. My Mam knitted the cushion we were forced to make for me.

snap. i think we did it in first class, but my sister used to finish off whatever stuff i'd attempted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,523 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I learned how to make a St Bridget's Cross in Low Babies. :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Is it not purl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Miss Lizzie Jones

I love to knit. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,523 ✭✭✭✭Esel

A stitch, in time,
    Keeps a thread,
    Long dead,
    In the slime.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ArnieSilvia

I do! Wouldn't call myself a sewist but it's a great family fun on long winter evenings. I'm a "machine operator" and my kids cut out fabrics and watch.
    Early in my career I was a machine operator and my mum & dad sew small things at home so I had an easy start (my wife can't sew but she's very good with hand stitching)

I started to sew only last year, when my wife wanted to finish off the blinds. The toy sewing machine we had was horrible so I bought myself a Janome 525s and it went from there. First I was hemming trousers, then shortening my suit jackets and moving onto more difficult projects/fabrics as I went along.
    Last Christmas I decided to make a matching dress for my wife and my daughter. I drew a general design, went to the shops, bought pattern, fabrics. It was tricky to do the small dress as I had to scale down the pattern and adjust to different shape (no breasts!). You'd love to see the authentic shock and excitement on faces of my girls when they tried them for first time.

Another outcome of this hobby is that I become very aware what I wear design wise, learned to judge clothes on fabric used and amount of work that went into creating the piece. I appreciate what I wear a lot more now. And I no longer have to wear suit jackets with too long arms and trousers that were always too short or too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

My brothers did some bits of knitting and crochet in primary school - the traditional set of crochet pot holders, and some little knitted stuffed animals (cats I think it was).

One of them never touched a needle again, but the other one approached me when he was around 14 asking me to teach him knitting again as he had forgotten.
    He spent the next year or so knitting himself a monster of a Dr Who scarf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Miss Lizzie Jones

Shenshen wrote: »
    He spent the next year or so knitting himself a monster of a Dr Who scarf.

I'm actually thinking about making a Dr. Who scarf myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

I love knitting so much. I learned a little bit of knitting in primary schooLl and it was something I liked very much in school. I took up knitting within the past year and half. Just took a notion one day. Bought a book, needles and wool one day and that was that. The little bit that I learned in school came back to me so easily. I learned so much since taking knitting up. I learned from a book and YouTube. Knitting is so therapeutic (not too sure of spelling here).

Advertisement