Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does "drunk" you know better than "sober" you?

• 26-08-2012 5:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭

"Drunk you".....

says everything you've always wanted to say
    frees all the thoughts that you withhold while sober
    experiences creativity far beyond anything "sober" you could ever imagine.

"The next-day 'sober' you".....

cringes because you've exposed yourself, beyond what you believe to be socially acceptable.

Was "drunk" you right all along?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

No, drunk me needs to shut the fcuk up. I normally try shut her up with more booze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

mauzo wrote: »
    No, drunk me needs to shut the fcuk up. I normally try shut her up with more booze

and how does that work out for ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

For the majority of people there worse day sober is better than there best day drunk, Bit early for theses conversations OP, feeling guilty ?

realies wrote: »
    For the majority of people there worse day sober is better than there best day drunk, Bit early for theses conversations OP, feeling guilty ?

"Guilty?" haha. No :D Not at all. Lets not steer the conversation off path.

However, it's a very real question of mine. It's no secret that we (human beings) have a tendency to be more open with our feelings when we're intoxicated.

whirlpool wrote: »

However, it's a very real question of mine. It's no secret that we (human beings) have a tendency to be more open with our feelings when we're intoxicated.

Alcohol is a drug.

Its effects are wildly unpredictable because there's so many variables that can effect how it influences a person, like with all drugs.
    You can't determine with any real accuracy how alcohol is going to affect one person from another.What can be true for one person could be completely the opposite for another it can bring out a lot of feelings but not necesarily all true feelings. Sometimes you can just say drunken thoughts but those arent true feelings.

If anything as Alcohol is a depressant, it would be logical that it suppresses your "true" emotions and feelings and gives you an unreal sense of confidence and lack of inhibition. :) Did I say good morning :)

• Advertisement

Alcohol is a drug.

Its effects are wildly unpredictable because there's so many variables that can effect how it influences a person, like with all drugs.
    You can't determine with any real accuracy how alcohol is going to affect one person from another.What can be true for one person could be completely the opposite for another it can bring out a lot of feelings but not necesarily all true feelings. Sometimes you can just say drunken thoughts but those arent true feelings.

If anything as Alcohol is a depressant, it would be logical that it suppresses your "true" emotions and feelings and gives you an unreal sense of confidence and lack of inhibition. :) Did I say good morning :)

*there're, not "there's"
    *affect, not "effect"

I don't personally know why you're responding, the way that you are, to my post but I, personally, don't believe that your intention is as you would like it to appear. So, please, stop responding in the manner that you have been. Alcohol removes inhibitions - no matter how you, personally, at this moment in time, feel like dressing the situation up. And for the life of me, I don't understand why you feel like pretending otherwise.

*they're, not "there's"
    *affect, not "effect"

I don't personally know why you're responding, the way that you are, to my post but I, personally, don't believe that your intention is as you would like it to appear. So, please, stop responding in the manner that you have been. Alcohol removes inhibitions - no matter how you, personally, at this moment in time, feel like dressing the situation up. And for the life of me, I don't understand why you feel like pretending otherwise.

What the **** you on about and less of the spelling checks.

You asked a question I answered it and gave my opinion, you don't like it, big deal.

Stupid me answering stupid posts this hour of the morning :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Rynox45

I've found that drunk me is like sober me, but more extroverted. Personally I think that's good because normally I'm incredibly introverted. I barely speak to the people I share a house with, but drunk me will dance happily :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Why would you respond in this manner to someone giving their opinion on the matter?

As Realies said depending on numerous variables alcohol can affect a person in different. Sometimes yes it removes inhibitions. However, for me it very rarely makes me say anything I wouldn't say in normal circumstances and it certainly doesn't make me more creative. It makes me a little less shy so I might get up and dance.

However it can also make me depressed and generally then I plow back drink quietly and steadily until it's time to go home and eat ice cream.

My main issue with drunk "me" is that he always makes plans that sober "me" has no chance of following.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

One night at Cheers, Cliff Clavin explained the "Buffalo Theory" to his buddy, Norm.
    "Well ya see, Norm, it's like this. A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine ! That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers." -- Cliff Clavin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

"Drunk you".....

says everything you've always wanted to say
    frees all the thoughts that you withhold while sober
    experiences creativity far beyond anything "sober" you could ever imagine.

"The next-day 'sober' you".....

cringes because you've exposed yourself, beyond what you believe to be socially acceptable.

Was "drunk" you right all along?

Dunno, let us know when you have sobered up and re-read this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Alcohol is a drug.

This is the way I see it too. Alcohol changes your perception of things, its not you reacting how you normally would, you're reacting in a manner that is influenced by chemicals

To think the alcohol induced you is a reflection of your true personality is bizarre and dangerous. You sink a drink that changes your behaviour or mindset, you don't drink that again. That's my rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I like to think I am.

But what other people think, not interested.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

How's the head OP? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Alcohol is a drug.

+1

agree 100 percent
    *there're, not "there's"
    *affect, not "effect"

:confused:
    He gave a well thought out resopnse and you give out to him. He doesn't need a reason to respond. This is a discussion board. What intention are you talking about?

'Alcohol reoves inhibitions'
    He did say that
    'If anything as Alcohol is a depressant, it would be logical that it suppresses your "true" emotions and feelings and gives you an unreal sense of confidence and lack of inhibition.'
    See???
    he agrees with you. Doesn't put it in a way that you would like but he does agree with you. You spend most of you post agrueing in his favour :confused:

Again some people can get really depressed and self conscounces when drinking. It is not fair to say that everyone is effected the same. Alcohol is a drug afterall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I thought grammar Nazi's were all but extinct. I guess I was wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

*there're, not "there's"
    *affect, not "effect"

gob****e not cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

xzanti wrote: »
    How's the head OP? :pac:

Grammar Nazi'ed, I imagine. Their going to have a hangover anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

No. Booze actually makes me really depressed these days and I don't mean the next day fear.

Might give it up for good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

The sober me doesn't like the drunk me especially during the hangover phase when the drunk me is transferring into the sober me :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Ted!

*there're, not "there's"
    *affect, not "effect"

Why the fcuk would he say that??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

experiences creativity far beyond anything "sober" you could ever imagine

no it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Drunk me says that sober me will do all kinds of things the next day that sober me really doesn't want to do. The most extreme case being when sober me ended up in Sweden!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

*there're, not "there's"

"There're" isn't a word BTW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I'm scared of 'drunk me'.

Not because I'm dangerous or anything, just because when I get to THAT stage it's as if someone else takes over my body and I've got to deal with the consequences of what that person does/says. It's not a loss of inhibitions, stuff I've said/done while that drunk is completely random and can even upset people. Like others have pointed out, it's a reaction to chemicals in my system affecting my behaviour. That's it. You'd be a fool to think that's what you're REALLY like.

On the other hand, 'me after a few sensible sociables' is sound. It's still not 'the real me', though. We have inhibitions for good reasons, and each person's is a part of their overall make-up.

So, to put it simply, sorry OP but you're talking bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Drunk me made a two and a half hour phone-call from Germany to Ireland the other night, so she needs to cop the fuck on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Drunk me gets a very tight lid on her these days, in case she says too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

Drunk me knows just as well as sober me, but just doesn't care!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

dan1895 wrote: »
    sober me ended up in Sweden!!!

Nasty. You have my sympathies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

No, drunk me is an absolute cunt. I hide it better when I'm sober.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Everything in moderation...... especially moderation.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

Nah, Drunk me gives drunk me a pep talk in the toilet " SOBER UP "; never listen.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Orim wrote: »

My main issue with drunk "me" is that he always makes plans that sober "me" has no chance of following.

We still heading to Vegas next Summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Drunk me is an asshole, so I keep him tied up in my bedroom and hope he never escapes again.

*there're, not "there's"
    *affect, not "effect"

Oh, god. I'm really sorry for this post. Obviously it's total nonsense. I had been drinking. Sorry, realies!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Drunk me knows absolutely nothing and is a complete idiot. However, he is an incredibly funny idiot. I love drunk me and wish I could be him all the time. he just needs to sort out his balance and his speech slurring...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Oh, god. I'm really sorry for this post. Obviously it's total nonsense. I had been drinking. Sorry, realies!

Question answered then. "Drunk" you does not know better than "sober" you :)

Oh, god. I'm really sorry for this post. Obviously it's total nonsense. I had been drinking. Sorry, realise!

Not a bother twas a bit early for that conversation anyway ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I like drunk me. Except for the habit of telling people that they're wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

I like drunk me, he is freer than I am and more likely to just go for it ( it's something sober me is working on. ) Drunk me can be a little crazy at times but generally speaking, he is a fun guy to hang around with.

Now, shot drunk me on the other end, I had to kick him out after he puked all over the house after doing too many shots one Halloween. Shot drunk me is also an asshole, I don't like him.

Sober me doesn't like the hangovers, though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

I like drunk me. :) I have wayyyy more confidence, just genuinely have that attitude that everything'll be grand in the morning, no worries at all :rolleyes: I'm such a lightweight though, I guess I hate that :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Drunk me has no worries, sober me always feels like **** the day after drunk me leaves.

When I was drunk me, I was charming,funny,generous,snappy,argumentative,jealous,possessive, Now that I am sober me and three & half years later I see I haven't ****ing changed :pac::pac::pac:

Joking :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Drunk me managed to get a 2 day ban from AH on Friday night for being an utter prick!
    Sober me would never do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Drunk me is a number of things, but one thing that's remarkably useful is that he's pretty obedient. Sober me thinks of something that's definitely a bad idea but that drunk me would think was a great one, then tells drunk me at the start of the evening to go home the moment that bad idea starts seeming like a good idea. Drunk me obeys every time. It's actually kind of entertaining.

"Hey, you know what'd be a great idea-"
    "GO HOME NOW!"
    "Um, okay, never mind."

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Orim wrote: »
    Question answered then. "Drunk" you does not know better than "sober" you :)

... and all is well with the World.

Advertisement