Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due May 2013!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Hi Lynn,
    Thats great your scan went well :) It so weird when you get to see the baby properly - last time and this time i forget alot of the time that im even pregnant - and when i remember its hard to truly picture it!
    Its a very surreal experience! I dont think it really sank in for me until about a week after the birth!! And still i was like - wow - she was in my belly!! Its great when you start feeling realy kicks - and even better when you can see them from the outside! Thats what made it more real for me! Also i used to have to push the baby down from under my ribs - and i could feel her head or bum shape competely! Very odd!

Bump wise i think it varies alot from person to person depending on your build and how you carry te baby. Last time it was about 15-16 weeks before i looked at all pregnant - this time at 13+5 i kinda do now. But my friend went the whole way to about 24 weeks with both of her sons before she had a discernable bump! It also depends alot on what your wearing - as soon as you get into maternity clothes you look more pregnant! They just make them that way i think! I went from my regular jeans to maternity ones in the last week or so and everyonehas been commenting howmy bump has grown so much...i know it hasnt its just the way the trousers hold it..... but they are soooo much more comfy so its worth it!

Clothes wise id really recommend h&m for above the bump maternity jeans. The one in dundrum also has some good tops. You cant shop online with them though and they wont order anything in store for u so its a little annoying that way - its just a case of what they have they have!
    Topshop is good but very expensive - id only shop there for a special occasion or if theres something i adore!
    Next is excellent - nothing in store really but great online facility and you can return them for free instore or post them back. big selection!
    New look is brilliant too - think they have online shopping - i got mine last time in the uk as they had a big selection, so not sureabout what the irish stores have - but its all really cheap and nice
    Asos.com is quite good - but its kinda hit or miss if they have nice things or not - you can be lucky or unlucky but its worth a look!

Id really recommend buying a black bump band. I wore one all the time during my last pregnancy under tops as then they didnt necessarily have to be maternity tops as you werent afraid of them being too short as this sits snug over your bump and makes sure its not exposed! i just found it really comfy and supportive too! but its prob a little early for that just yet. I got mine in topshop last time and need to get another cos its way too stretched for me now! Actually topshop also do great maternity leggings - and debenhams do good maternity tights! I found i couldnt wear non maternity tights or leggins as they were just uncomfortable!

Pennys can be good for long string tops etc for under clothes! And cadigans etc which dont need to close really anyway!

Hope that helps...

p.s only buy clothes u love....and not too many... it really is a short time your in them and while u think you'll use them in subsequent pregnancies - i now hate the sight of my old maternity clothes (even tho i was only in them 8 months ago!!) and they are all so stretched they would just look ridiculous on me until im 7-9 months gone! Saying that i cant afford new ones so i bought new trousers and am making do with normal tops and prob will do for another couple months at which point ill have o get back into the yucky old ones...:(

last time during the last 4 weeks my boots wouldnt even zip up my legs were so swolen.... we'll all be so pretty in another 6 months..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Hope everyone is keeping well.
    I'm in bits with nausea & sickness this week.
    If I bring up the folic acid how serious is this for the baby to miss out on?
    And my diet is consisting of toast, crackers & cheese. Not great but it's all I can do to eat that at times.

Also does anyone know if I need a full bladder for my first scan?

I'm waiting for the pregnancy glow to start tbh. If I'm not wretching I'm farting, if I'm not farting I'm burping. And my skin has become both dry & greasy at the same time. Im getting spots with lovely white filled puss in them, I found one on my knee this morning.
    And naturally enough any pregnant woman I see has this serene, peaceful, just stepped out of a photoshoot look about them :(
    Please tell me I'm not alone :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

No you're not alone! The last time around I used to envy those women who looked immaculate and seemed to only have a neat baby bump and no other visible weight gain. I'm talking the 9th month when I looked a d felt like a beached whale.

I'm 15 weeks today \0/

No pregnancy glow here yet either and the nausea seems to have finally gone since last weekend.

About your scan, yes you need a full bladder. I usually sip water for an hour before so I'm not bursting by the time I get there especially considering you might have to wait a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Hope everyone is keeping well.
    I'm in bits with nausea & sickness this week.
    If I bring up the folic acid how serious is this for the baby to miss out on?
    And my diet is consisting of toast, crackers & cheese. Not great but it's all I can do to eat that at times.

Also does anyone know if I need a full bladder for my first scan?

I'm waiting for the pregnancy glow to start tbh. If I'm not wretching I'm farting, if I'm not farting I'm burping. And my skin has become both dry & greasy at the same time. Im getting spots with lovely white filled puss in them, I found one on my knee this morning.
    And naturally enough any pregnant woman I see has this serene, peaceful, just stepped out of a photoshoot look about them :(
    Please tell me I'm not alone :(

I had ALL of those symptoms my first trimester...skin gets better though! (I started using the garnier bb miracle cream foundation, i dont normally wear foundation but it made me feel way less self-conscience) you need the full bladder as well but as a warning, they tend to REALLY dig in for the ultrasound scans, try to not be bursting! I nearly wet myself!

Hows everyone doing?

The time is flying by..!

Cant find a nice maternity coat anywhere - tried on a nice parka in topshop today but was so expensive and really even in the 10 (im normailly a 10-12) was huge.... now i know it has to fit right up until 40 weeks so needs to be big - but really can they not make something that looks half decent when you only have a small - medium bump.... My normal winter jacket is getting too tight as its fitted the whole way up and my belly is really growing now, last time i couldnt find one and so ended up wearing my husbands jacket alot of the time... really fancied something a bit nicer this time...!!

• Advertisement

dublinlady I found Dorothy Perkins were the best for coats. I paid about €100 but it was well worth it. I wore it for 4 months, I gave it to my friend for her pregnancy and I'm going to start using it again soon. I initially bought one in new look for about €50 but all the buttons fell off in the first week and there was no warmth in it at all. The dp one got me through that artic winter of 2010/11.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

dublinlady wrote: »
    Hows everyone doing?

The time is flying by..!

Cant find a nice maternity coat anywhere - tried on a nice parka in topshop today but was so expensive and really even in the 10 (im normailly a 10-12) was huge.... now i know it has to fit right up until 40 weeks so needs to be big - but really can they not make something that looks half decent when you only have a small - medium bump.... My normal winter jacket is getting too tight as its fitted the whole way up and my belly is really growing now, last time i couldnt find one and so ended up wearing my husbands jacket alot of the time... really fancied something a bit nicer this time...!!

Hi DL, I bought this coat from gap. http://www.gap.eu/browse/product.do?cid=68137&vid=1&pid=000322428002

It's not maternity but the pull cords on each side allow the coat to expand so it should fit. At least I can wear it after as well. Gap were just doing 30% off all outerwear so it was only €77 .

I've also found a navy sort of parka in penny's. it was €35 and was so lovely. Really warm and the buttons were across the chest to allow the aline bottom of the cost to expand more. Defo worth the money!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Hi ladies!
    I just came across this thread and I hope it's ok to join in! I am 13 weeks since yesterday and due on the 12th of may 2013. So excited but pretty nervous too as it is my first.

It was great to read through all the posts and see how everyone else is getting on with symptoms and so on. I am the first of my girlfriends to get pregnant so have to rely on google for all my advice 😉!!!

I am just wondering how often you all have appointments with your doctors. I have had two scans. One to rule out a suspected ectopic and another at 10 weeks to confirm my due date. I had a gp appointment last Friday where I heard the heartbeat with the Doppler. She doesn't want me back until the end of January. I have my 20 week scan on the 21/12 and apparently after that is when I see an OB. It seems a long wait from 12 weeks to 20! Just wondering if this is the norm. I am in Galway so maybe it's different in each hospital.

Congratulations everyone I hope ye are all keeping well!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 yummymummy

Hi all :)
    Im due on May 4th with 2nd, daughter is 6. Such a different pregnancy this time, 1st trimester I was so tired and off form, flew through it last time!! Dont have a scan until December 14th, seems like forever!!
    Really looking forward to feeling bump moving for the first time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

12 weeks today and almost certain I've felt a few movements. This is my second so I suppose it's possible.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the coats recommendations! Ill check out penneys, gap and DP'S!

Cant76 -i had a booking appt in holles st at about 9 weeks and dont have any other appt until 17 weeks when im seeing the consultant for the 1st time! they kinda ignore ya til ur hald way thru and then start to see you monthly etc and then fortnightly towards the end! I mite be meant to go to the gp in the middle but not bothering - they didnt tell me to and i have a home doppler so can hear the heartbeat so not concerned about anything at the mo. If i had any worries id be down there like a flash!

Im 14&1/2 weeks and def had movement for last few weeks - its getting stronger - but still just describable as a flutter really. It was 15-16 weeks last time which i think is early enough for a first pregnancy. I had an anterior placenta so not sure if that effects things. my friend didnt feel anything until about 22 weeks i think, so its all normal!

...and now I think I'm nesting! Just did a big clean out of one of the kitchen drawers, for no particular reason. It's going to be a long 6 months.

So much for energy burst during second trimester.... I feel like crap!!!

Less than 2 weeks til my first consultant appt - really lookin forward to it to be sure all is well! Hard to believe in 5 weeks we will find out the sex and be halfway thru the pregnancy!!!!

So much for energy burst during second trimester.... I feel like crap!!!

Less than 2 weeks til my first consultant appt - really lookin forward to it to be sure all is well! Hard to believe in 5 weeks we will find out the sex and be halfway thru the pregnancy!!!!
    Oh no, please don't say that dublinlady!
    I'm having a rough first trimester. Yesterday & today I had the pleasure of pulling in the car to get sick. And the vomiting is usually followed by nasty headaches.
    I'm banking on my second trimester to give me the glow I keep hearing about but has so far eluded me. I need my energy back, or at least some of it. I need to be able to walk past a restaurant without dry retching. I really need to be able to eat properly, because I honestly don't know how the baby is growing or developing. My diet is atrocious.
    I hope you feel better soon though. Nothing as bad as being constantly tired & trying to explain to people your energy is just zapped. The way some people look, particularly in work, you would swear it's all being put on.

Oh no, please don't say that dublinlady!
    I'm having a rough first trimester. Yesterday & today I had the pleasure of pulling in the car to get sick. And the vomiting is usually followed by nasty headaches.
    I'm banking on my second trimester to give me the glow I keep hearing about but has so far eluded me. I need my energy back, or at least some of it. I need to be able to walk past a restaurant without dry retching. I really need to be able to eat properly, because I honestly don't know how the baby is growing or developing. My diet is atrocious.
    I hope you feel better soon though. Nothing as bad as being constantly tired & trying to explain to people your energy is just zapped. The way some people look, particularly in work, you would swear it's all being put on.

Of it helps my sickness is totally gone!!!! I think I'm only so exhausted cos I can't sleep well at all - must be the hormones but I'm tossing and turning all night! Can't even blame my daughter cos she's for once sleeping ok!
    Totally agree tho - even my husband sometimes rolls his eyes (not actually....but I can tell he wants to.... Hehe) when I'm moaning about tiredness! Although this past 2 days I've been so dizzy - I've almost fainted a couple of times so I think he feels sorry for me then!

How are all the May mums to be? I'm 17 weeks now which I can't believe. It's really flying around but when you have a toddler you just don't have time to be precious about being pregnant. I laugh now when I think of myself on my first. Going home from work and lying on the sofa for hours.

Not that there's anything wrong with it and some evenings I'd sell a kidney just to have an hour or two to put my feet up!

14 weeks now, so delighted with myself. Touch wood, it's going great so far - very little to complain about. How Strange, I hear you about the difference between first and second pregnancies!

17 weeks tomorrow :)
    1st consultant appt.
    A little nervous - just will be relieved to hear all is ok...!
    Will also be really keen to see what he has to say about me having a VBAC so close to my last baby - hoping he's as positive as I am :p

I'm 18 weeks tomorrow dublinlady!! I've heard that Holles St are really supportive of vbac. Hopefully your consultant will be.

I'm 18 weeks tomorrow dublinlady!! I've heard that Holles St are really supportive of vbac. Hopefully your consultant will be.

All good thankfully!!

He said 60% chance of natural birth... So technically the odds are in my favour!!

He did say I wouldn't be allowed to labour for very long tho - incase of rupture, and ill be v closely monitored.

Got a pic of babs so was delighted!

• Advertisement

Oh that's great news dublinlady. I know 3 people who had their 2nd within 2yrs or less of their first and they all had very quick labours. 2 of them barely made it to the hospital in time. Hopefully it'll be like that for all of us!

How's everyone getting on?
    I'm 18 weeks now - it's flying by this time!! Plenty of back pain already - but had it before I was pregnant so it was expected!!
    More regular kicks happening now - still no feeling them from the outside so my oh will have to wait a few more weeks!
    Excited about my first Christmas with my little one! She's almost crawling and full of baby chat!

How's everyone getting on?
    I'm 18 weeks now - it's flying by this time!! Plenty of back pain already - but had it before I was pregnant so it was expected!!
    More regular kicks happening now - still no feeling them from the outside so my oh will have to wait a few more weeks!
    Excited about my first Christmas with my little one! She's almost crawling and full of baby chat!
    Hi dunlinlady,
    Christmas should be fun for you so with the little one there for santy, you will probably get more enjoyment out of it than she will:)
    Back pain can be, well, a pain I guess! I hate it when my back acts up & the cold weather doesn't help matters. I find a hot water bottle good to relieve it though.
    I'm 15 weeks, no sign of any noticeable kicks. The odd time I feel a flutter but to be honest it doesn't feel any different to a grumbling belly or a bit of wind! I really can't wait to feel the kicks though & I really can't wait for my partner to feel the kicks, I'm looking forward to seeing his reaction!
    Sickness & headaches haven't eased at all I'm afraid. I can see myself being sick for the duration of the pregnancy but what can I do but put up with it. That's the roll of the dice I got so I can just get on with it. Some days can be very tiring from it though!

I'm going to have to start buying maternity wear in the next week. I'm developing a nice little pouch & my clothes being a little snug doesn't help the nausea.
    Did you buy any new maternity wear this time around or do you have enough from the last pregnancy?

Oh no - sorry to hear your still feeling sick :(
    Hopefully it will ease, must be hard to put up with.
    I think with my first i was only feeling very light flutters at 15 weeks - but by 20 they were more discernable kicks! I do like feeling the movement i must say - its not anyway regular yet tho!

I bought a couple new pairs of maternity trousers so far cos all my ones from last time are way too stretched! they will only be good to me suring the last month i think! :o Im in maternity trousers / leggings all the time now but still in 'normal' tops! I think ill get another couple of weeks before the all start getting too short to go over the bump - they have started rising already but still wearable! I keep saying i wont buy more tops but to be honest i hate the sight of the ones from last time as i just associate them with being huge - so i mite buy one or two nice tops for a change - but really i cant afford to so ill probably have to be sensible and make do!!

my bump has gotten very bumpy.. over last 2 weeks! :eek:

Maybe it is kicks & I just don't know. From the scans I seem to have a very active little jelly bean!
    I've been looking at new look & asos for a lot of clothes. They seem to be the cheapest, which is what I'm after. No point spending a fortune if I can avoid it & they look fashionable so I won't feel like I'm wearing a tent.
    A friend of mine td me the sizing from asos can be a little bit off at times so she sent some stuff back.
    I had a look at next & apart from the the jeans I thought the rest of it looked terrible, but then I'm just looking at photos, the clothes could be gorgeous on.
    I'm hoping ill have a fairly decent maternity wardrobe for about€300.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Mamabear29

How is everyone?? Haven't been on this much the last few weeks. 19 weeks today. Time is flying!!! Once Christmas is over we are reallyon the home stretch!! Yippeee!! Feeling plenty of movement and little kicks. OH is disappointed he cant feel them yet but its only a matter of time!!! Feeling the baby move is def the best part of pregnancy!!! :-)

On another note, my one year old has decided that she is never going to sleep at night again!!! :-( myself and my OH are exhausted and try to take it in turns but its hard!! Esp when he is on nights and im working the next day!! Has ANYBODY any advice for me??? Its 3am and we are all awake!! No choice really in a three bed semi!!

Lets hope baby #2 sleeps better!!!

Regards

Exhausted (mamabear)

Mamabear29 wrote: »
    How is everyone?? Haven't been on this much the last few weeks. 19 weeks today. Time is flying!!! Once Christmas is over we are reallyon the home stretch!! Yippeee!! Feeling plenty of movement and little kicks. OH is disappointed he cant feel them yet but its only a matter of time!!! Feeling the baby move is def the best part of pregnancy!!! :-)

On another note, my one year old has decided that she is never going to sleep at night again!!! :-( myself and my OH are exhausted and try to take it in turns but its hard!! Esp when he is on nights and im working the next day!! Has ANYBODY any advice for me??? Its 3am and we are all awake!! No choice really in a three bed semi!!

Lets hope baby #2 sleeps better!!!

Regards

Exhausted (mamabear)

Totally understand!!! My 9 & 1/2 month old slept really well from 5-7 months and for last 2 &1/2 months has only had 2 nights where she hasn't had us up between 12-1 and 3-5am :( we totally exhausted :(
    I'm 19 weeks today also, wondering how to get they the days with the tiredness but other than that all is good! We have just accepted she's not sleeping.. For the first 6 weeks of it we kept blaming teeth etc.... No sign of any other than the 2 she had! Now we just trying to cope day by day - taking each night in turns.

Every day I go to bed on the assumption she'll sleep thru... Think I'm dillusional!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Mamabear29

Totally understand!!! My 9 & 1/2 month old slept really well from 5-7 months and for last 2 &1/2 months has only had 2 nights where she hasn't had us up between 12-1 and 3-5am :( we totally exhausted :(
    I'm 19 weeks today also, wondering how to get they the days with the tiredness but other than that all is good! We have just accepted she's not sleeping.. For the first 6 weeks of it we kept blaming teeth etc.... No sign of any other than the 2 she had! Now we just trying to cope day by day - taking each night in turns.

Every day I go to bed on the assumption she'll sleep thru... Think I'm dillusional!!

I am so happy dublinlady!!! Not that you are being kept awake all night but that I'm not alone!!! Ha!! My little one has prob given us in total a month of good nights in 12 and a half months!!! How I managed to actually get pregnant so fast I'll never know!!! Must have been on one of her good nights!!! Ha!!
    Ah if it doesn't get any better there's always DONEDEAL!!! ;-) haha!!

Apart from that all is good. Have my big scan on the 19th so fingers crossed all goes well!! We are talking about finding out the sex of baba. We left it as a surprise the last time. Im thinking I would like to know this time around!! Ive spoken to a few people who found out and they said it was great!!! They were so organised!! I have one of those angelsounds baby dopplers and the baby sounds like a train!! If Im to believe the old wives tale I think that means its a boy!!! As long as this one is healthy and sleeps, i dont mind!! :-)

I had my anomaly scan yesterday and thankfully everything was good. I'm 20 weeks now (wow!) and generally feeling ok. The back pain and associated headaches have stayed away for the most part. This week I'm just so tired though. I fell asleep in front of the tv at 8.45 last night, was in bed at 10 but I feel like I went to bed at 2am. I'm very busy in work and I felt really dizzy on wed do went home a bit early. My boss just keeps piling the work on me and everything has an urgent deadline. I just don't think I'm able for it.

I'm going to my gp today for my first combined care visit do I'll mention it to her. I don't think I'm low in iron but I might start taking spatone just in case.

Sorry that turned into a bit of a moan. On the positive side my son is getting cuter and funnier by the day and he just makes me laugh with the spontaneous funny things he does. And he's still sleeping! I got a finger into his mouth this morning and I could feel the point of the second lower canine so hopefully we've got a respite from teething for a while.

• Advertisement

Mamabear - we mention donedeal every day in this house! Poor child!!!! Was 3am again last night - back by 4 and up for the day at 6! Grr!! Although v v excited as she crawled properly for the first time this morning!!!!!!!! It was amazing and so great to see after her weeks of struggling!!

How strange - that's fab your anomaly scan went well! Were you tempted to find out the sex? We found out last time and I'm going to again this time - on the 17th as it helped me picture the baby so much more as I found being pregnant very surreal!! This time it's not that - but I'm just convinced its a boy and the curiosity is killing me!!!!
    I love knowing!

Hope the tiredness eases off soon :( def try the spatone cos at least it's an easily digested form of iron and if you put the sachet in fresh orange juice the vit c helps you absorb so much more from it! Ask for a blood test at the docs? So much for the second trimester energy burst..... I'm still waiting too!!

Have pulled something in my back at work and have been in bits with pain last 24 hrs - doctor has me on Valium to stop it spasming as he's afraid it will lock and there'll be no moving me at all! It's bad but at least I know it's just an injury and will pass - but I can't pick up my daughter which is horrible :( luckily we are off for a long weekend and were meant to be going away but now just staying home so I can lie on the floor and he's doing all the lifting!

Other than that the pregnancy is great - lots of little kicks last night which was nice :)

Advertisement