Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy dried beans in Dublin

Options
  • 26-08-2012 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi there.

I've recently gotten into beans of all types. Started to cook a lot of dishes with them in it. I started with tinned beans,

canellini, borlotti, haricot, black, kidney, mung, aduki, chick pea, anything we could find really. at about a euro a tin, it's not ridiculously expensive but i'd like to start using more dried beans.

So I went to the asian market in dublin looking for dried beans. They have kidney and black eyed in bulk but not much else. Yes they have lots of lentils and stuff but i'm more looking for beans.

Also, some health stores and my local supermarket stock a range of dried beans.

But I've not found anywhere that stock dried canellini, borlotti, harico beans, even in small packets. I'd ideally like to find a place where I can buy them in bulk (> 1kg) but would also like to know where they can simply be bought in any quantities.

If anyone knows where I would find these types of dried beans that woudl be great!

Thanks

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

I get 500 gram bags of most of the beans you refer to in Tesco. My local one is Clare Hall, but I reckon most of the largish ones carry them.

Nothing bigger than 500 gram, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I've gotten 500g - 1kg bags of many different types of beans (currently borlotti, cannelini & chickpeas in my press) in the Asian Market on Mary Street, one on Clanbrassil Street & one on the corner of the South Circular Road up near Harcourt Street. You'll get more of a selection of beans in markets that cater to Middle Eastern/Turkish/Arab people than in Asian markets that cater mainly to Chinese people.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Some asian shops have massive catering bags of stuff, and some split these out into smaller bags themselves. I expect many have them stored out back so you might have to ask. A lot of them have massive tins of chickpeas cheap, these could be drained & frozen if there are too many, though they might go mushy upon defrosting.

My local health food shop has standard 500g bags on the shelves, but I asked them about getting things in bulk and they said no problem, it would take a few days but they just stick it on their next order and hold it behind the counter for me. A 3kg bag of rye grain was about half the price per 100g than the 500g bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

irrational wrote: »

But I've not found anywhere that stock dried canellini, borlotti, harico beans, even in small packets. I'd ideally like to find a place where I can buy them in bulk (> 1kg) but would also like to know where they can simply be bought in any quantities.

They have smaller quantities of many dried beans in Byrne's fruit and vegetable shop in Sandymount.

Advertisement