Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting Unfurnished

Options
  • 26-08-2012 9:47am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    After a brief two years in the UK my partner and I are returning to Ireland. We previously lived in Limerick and now we will be based in Dublin. I will be working in Blanchardstown and she will, most likely, in the city centre.

We've always tried to rent unfurnished or at least partially unfurnished. Over here in London renting unfurnished is easy as places are plentiful. I'd say it's a 50-50 split. However it has always been difficult in Ireland since the majority of places come furnished - often to varying degrees of quality.

We would like to return with our own furniture. How do Landlords feel about making properties advertised as furnished available unfurnished?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

We were very lucky to find an apartment six yeras ago just completed (Smithfield Market) and convince the owner to do unfurnished.

Almost impossible to find unfurnished otherwise, you could try asking landlord to remove the furniture, but they will end up with storage costs.

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

I've a rented property that was furnished but the tenant wanted it unfurnished.

I was just happy to get another tenant in that I wasn't to bothered although I did have a place to store the unwanted furniture and just threw mattress' out.

I guess there'd be no harm in asking even if you offered to pay a bit towards a storage locker for the furniture.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Thanks folks, do you think there is any increased demand for unfurnished properties or will it remain a small minority?

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Well I've just renewed a contract with my tenants but I had a number of enquiries asking if the house was available unfurnished. I always allowed for the option of either and more often than not a new mattress was a part of the contract. I wanted the same thing when I was renting for years :)

I'd imagine it will start to become more common place for houses on the rental market with folks giving up there houses and finding out it'll be years before they can qualify for a house on the housing list and have their furniture in tow. people expect apartments to be furnished as they're usually in the city and have a higher turn over of tenants It'd be rare to get a long term let on an apartment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Looks like its becoming more popular with tenants (and high time). Furnished apartments/dwellings- is almost uniquely an Irish/UK thing- on the continent and in the US- its highly irregular to rent a furnished property (mind you short term lets are also unusual). Now that we have very strong tenancy law here, perhaps people may be convinced to rent long term- however we also have to deal with the Irish mentality to owning property at any cost. The forthcoming property tax may assist in this somewhat- time will tell.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Pipmae

I put my house up for rent available furnished or unfurnished and I had a new tenant within three days. She wanted it unfurnished but when she actually viewed it she agreed to keep the dining room table/chairs and the kitchen high table and bar stools. It's a small enough property and those pieces fit in their positions inch perfect so she is going to get rid of her own. So you could say it is partially furnished.

It's easier for us. I went with a hunch to go after the unfurnished market and it has paid off - well she hasn't moved in yet but all good so far.

It needed a new suite in the living room, one new bed and some kitchen bits and bobs. So we don't have to do that now and we're happy to bear the cost of getting rid of some furniture that has been there for 9 years.

Ikea may be getting a visit in the future though!

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

We managed to get an unfurnished house when we were looking to rent almost two years ago. I have to say that it was more luck than anything else. (We were also looking for a short term let as we thought that we'd find the house we wanted pretty quickly)

After weeks of going through daft and calling every letting agent in the locality to try and find an unfurnished house for a short term lease-I eventually put an ad up in the local superquinn and the landlord rang us!

Actually I would agree that partially furnished is a good idea. Not every room should need to be a bedroom, if beds could be removed that would be idea for a home office or similar.

We've found a few unfurnished places and some places which landlords have indicated they would consider removing the beds from. There's one unfurnished house in a perfect location for us that we're quite hopeful for. We're over for viewings next week so fingers crossed.

Would people think that renting an unfurnished place would attract better tenants? Since it's their stuff, they would look after it, and hence the property better.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

I'm not sure that it would necessarily attract a better tenant but if the tenant has their own furniture maybe they've had their own property and are used to taking care of a property and therefore will look after the property that they are renting . . .
    That's us, anyway, we look after the house we rent almost as well as our own house. (We get on very well with the landlord and he's commented on how happy he is that the house is being well looked after)

Maybe 'better' is the wrong word, I'm sure most tenants are fine. A more invested tenant perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

5uspect wrote: »
    Maybe 'better' is the wrong word, I'm sure most tenants are fine. A more invested tenant perhaps?
    Yes, I think so. Also a more settled tenant, likely to stay for a longer term. Moving furniture is a pain and expensive, and finding another unfurished let will be difficult.

I think it's a more common request amongst families than amongst singles/couples.

Advertisement