Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelled Insurance

Options
  • 26-08-2012 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

My car insurance is up the beginning of July every year, I went with a different company this year as they were a lot cheaper, sent off what I thought was all the documents and got a letter back two weeks later saying that if I didn't send off all documents that my insurance would be cancelled. I had to ring to find out what was missing- turns out it was the copy of my OH license ( I thought I did send that off but I'm not 100%)
    I don't have a scanner and wanted to get this done ASAP so faxed it (on the 24th of July) I rang the office to see if they got the fax and was told that faxes go to a different office and that it will take a few days to get to their office. So I asked them to ring if they didn't get it (I asked them to note that I did send it on the 24th too)
    Never heard any more from the company- so I never thought anymore about it. Came home from holidays last night to find two letters, one saying that they have ceased my policy from the 17th of August and the other saying that they have refunded my money. I'm presuming its because maybe they never got the copy of my OH license? I'll have to wait until the morning to find out.
    What is annoying me is that I have 10 years driving- no claims etc.
    Will this cancelation look bad on my part even if it is a clerical error (because I can't see what other reason there is for it)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

Sounds very unusual.

Was it a broker or insurance company who cancelled the policy?

Did they send you a registered letter saying they were going to cancel your policy due to not receiving the licence?

Do you have the confirmation page showing you faxed the licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

It was a company directly- I have the verification that I sent two pages of a fax- they are saying they got the front but not the back of my OH license. They told me that they did send a registered letter but won't give me the tracking number, they also said they left a voicemail on the 27th and that they sent letters every10 days after but I heard nothing since the 24th of July.
    I rang other insurance companies today that said they won't insure me because I've had a policy cancelled, no matter what the reason. The company in question told me that it dosn't matter that I've had a policy cancelled and that it shouldn't concern other companies:rolleyes: At every opportunity they tried to transfer me to the sales team so I would set up a new policy but I want the policy I had reinstated. I'll be sending all info to the insurance federation tomorrow.

Sorry- just to be clearer- when I looked for the tracking number of the registered letter they said they did send one but don't have a tracking number- sounds a bit iffy to me!

You shouldn't worry, you have a very strong case.

They sound like a pack of amateurs, what I would have done is given you the option of sending the licence in or deleting your OH until you could get the licence in.

Before you contact the IIF you should ask the insurance company for all the information that they have on your file, you are entitled to this under the terms of the data protection act.

If they don't provide this to you then you should tell them you will be contacting the Data Protection Commission and the Irish Insurance Federation, you should contact both.

If they sent a registered letter you would have either had to sign for the letter or you would have got something in the letter box saying we tried to deliver a registered letter.

You are completed right looking for them to reinstate the policy.

Out of interest what company is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

It was Aviva, I never thought to question them as to why they wouldn't remove the OH it makes perfect sense to do that- thanks for the advice will follow up as you directed and let you know how I get on.

madon wrote: »
    It was Aviva, I never thought to question them as to why they wouldn't remove the OH it makes perfect sense to do that- thanks for the advice will follow up as you directed and let you know how I get on.

No problem, if you run in to trouble PM me if not let me know how you got on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,693 ✭✭✭Corvo

You are better off OP. Their claims department is shocking.

Advertisement