Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iphone to android - noob questions

• 26-08-2012 10:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

Following on from a previous thread. Can anyone fill me in on some on some of the following.

Vanilla - think this refers to android os system but I thought the os on my nexus 7 was jellybean?

Root - is this the same as jailbreaking?

Launcher - don't know what this is but have seen it mentioned quite a bit.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Vanilla means the basic version that google release. Samsung, lg, Sony, Motorola etc all put their own skin on top of the 'vanilla' version that google release.
    Jelly bean is just the code name for the underlying version of android on the device. Jelly bean is version 4.1, ice cream sandwich was version 4.0 etc.

Root is like jail breaking although you have much more flexibility in android than iOS even without jail breaking.

Launcher, refers to the screens from where you start apps. You can download different versions of these if you don't like the standard one

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I think the easier way to explain the launcher, is that its similar to having a customizable desktop on Yer PC.

Advertisement