Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a Micro USB charger that will charge any micro usb device?

Options
  • 26-08-2012 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭

My heads about to explode, I've a few different devices that are all Micro USB but they all need the charger that came with them to work, for example the hp touchpad and motorola atrix. Is there a micro USB charger available that will charge any micro usb device, they all seem to require slightly different voltage to work?

I really have to tip my hat to the EU on this one, one of the stupidest rules they've brought in, make every charger the same but different, what were they thinking, at least when sony had a sony charger you knew if it had the right connection on the charger it would charge your phone, not any more, thank you brussels. :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Was the rule not relating to phones only? The HP you listed isn't a phone. We've 5 different phones here, all with micro USB and all can use any charger but my brothers Asus Transformer doesn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Well i'm after going through 4 chargers here trying to get my atrix started none of them would give it enough juice to start, finally have it going just there now with a sony micro usb cable and a blackberry wall plug.

Question is though why aren't they all the same and is there one that will work everything even the touchpad. It is micro usb after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

The USB port on a laptop can only deliver at most 500mA, this possibly isn't enough for most tablets or higher spec phones. These devices most likely don't see it as enough current to accept and start charging. The charger that came with my Galaxy S3 is 1A, it charges painfully slow from the laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Newer usb ports can give more juice, but still sucks compared to the mains.

OP - microusb chargers are all the same, and work with all devices. Note that some tablets can only trickle charge via usb (get 5% overnight), these come with their own custom adapters.

As other people have said, wall socket is different from plugging it into a pc/laptop.

One final thing to watch out for: sometimes they sell a modular wall plug for the charger - to allow british plug vs euro plug. Sometimes this comes loose and won't charge, even tho it looks ok. If you have one of these make sure it's "clicked in" right. My asus tablet charger has made me rage a few times because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

srsly78 wrote: »

OP - microusb chargers are all the same, and work with all devices.

Nope there not, I can only charge my touchpad with my touchpad charger, Nothing else will do it. Sony, Motorola, Blackberry charger etc won't charge it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

My bad I meant all phones. It will only charge tablets reeeeeallly slowly, and isn't even officially possible according to most manufacturers.

Your Atrix should charge, however I see lots of people complaining about it online. Did you get it abroad? Is it the european version? Are you plugging it into the wall, or into a laptop/pc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

Have a "Proporta Power Pack" 3400mAH. No problem with Nokia N82 over regular charging port (2mm) N82 doesn't have micro-USB charging,
    but my N8 is a bit pickier. First it wouldn't charge, but I discovered if I switched on the power on the power pack before connecting to either port then it does work.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Nope there not, I can only charge my touchpad with my touchpad charger, Nothing else will do it. Sony, Motorola, Blackberry charger etc won't charge it.

My touchpad will charge, but very slowly from a range of micro usb chargers. LG, Nokia, Samsung, it will pop up with a warning saying it will charge slowly however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Bascially not all USB ports have the same power output. Check your charger, a dedicated charger can supply more than 500 mA .
    Charging ports and accessory charging adapters
    The USB Battery Charging Specification of 2007 defines new types of USB ports, e.g., charging ports.[44] As compared to standard downstream ports, where a portable device can only draw more than 100 mA current after digital negotiation with the host or hub, charging ports can supply currents above 0.5 A without digital negotiation. A charging port supplies up to 500 mA at 5 V, up to the rated current at 3.6 V or more, and drop its output voltage if the portable device attempts to draw more than the rated current. The charger port may shut down if the load is too high.
    Charging ports exist in two flavors: charging downstream ports (CDP), supporting data transfers as well, and dedicated charging ports (DCP), without data support. A portable device can recognize the type of USB port from the way the D+ and D- pins are connected. For example, on a dedicated charging port, the D+ and D- pins are shorted. With charging downstream ports, current passing through the thin ground wire may interfere with high-speed data signals. Therefore, current draw may not exceed 900 mA during high-speed data transfer. A dedicated charge port may have a rated current between 0.5 and 1.5 A. There is no upper limit for the rated current of a charging downstream port, as long as the connector can handle the current (standard USB 2.0 A-connectors are rated at 1.5 A).
    Before the battery charging specification was defined, there was no standardized way for the portable device to inquire how much current was available. For example, Apple's iPod and iPhone chargers indicate the available current by voltages on the D- and D+ lines. When D+ = D- = 2V, the device may pull up to 500 mA. When D+ = 2.0 V and D- = 2.8 V, the device may pull up to 1000 mA of current.[45]
    Dedicated charging ports can be found on USB power adapters that convert utility power or another power source — e.g., a car's electrical system — to run attached devices and battery packs. On a host (such as a laptop computer) with both standard and charging USB ports, the charging ports should be labeled as such.[44]
    To support simultaneous charge and sync, even if the communication port doesn't support charging a demanding device, so called accessory charging adapters are introduced, where a charging port and a communication port can be combined into a single port.
    The Battery Charging Specification 1.2 of 2010 [12] makes clear, that there are safety limits to the rated current at 5 A coming from USB 2.0. On the other hand several changes are made and limits are increasing including allowing 1.5 A on charging ports for unconfigured devices, allowing high speed communication while having a current up to 1.5 A and allowing a maximum current of 5 A.

From wiki

Advertisement