Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring courses

Options
  • 26-08-2012 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi,

I recently accepted a course in DIT that i'm no longer keen on doing. I was wondering if it is possible to transfer to another course in DIT, and if so, how would I go about doing it ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

I too am interested in doing this. I sent an e-mail to DIT so I'll post here when they get back to me.

This is all the information available on DITS website in respect to this
    http://www.dit.ie/registration/deftranswdraw/transfer/

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Danny94

Willbbz wrote: »
    I too am interested in doing this. I sent an e-mail to DIT so I'll post here when they get back to me.

This is all the information available on DITS website in respect to this
    http://www.dit.ie/registration/deftranswdraw/transfer/
    Thanks, I've done that too but they haven't got back to me yet, have you heard anything from them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

This is what they said which is kinda weird..
    Hi William,

It's not possible to transfer to these programmes once you are in DIT.

Kind regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭nicearbhaill

Hi ya

If you think about it may make sense. You dont say who you wrote to or who replied to you but it sounds ok to me

Transferrinng from one programme to another can be dependent on what programme who are accepted on and what level and what programme you are interested in and what level. There may simply be no places available in the first year or transfers may not be permitted in the first year but you could have the option of advanced entry into 2nd year of the programme you want.

dont forget whatever you decide make sure you tell DIT/CAO e.g. defer/withdraw etc.

Hope all that makes sense

sorry for my spelling errors (ekk on the train)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnG18

Bear in mind that it is also an option to complete the first year then transfer via Advanced Entry into Y2 of another course if you did well and the courses had similar Y1 (which most courses under the same college would I.e. most science courses share similar Y1).

If you really don't like the course see if you can apply directly to a course you are interested in.

Yes that I was what I was trying to say but was working on a laptop on a train. Advanced entry is a very good option.

If you attend the induction for the programme that you have accepted you could ask some of these questions. Once you actually register and get your student card you can access all the supprrt services in DIT - Programme Tutor/Student Retention/Careers Service etc

Just dont do nothing.

More info here http://www.dit.ie/campuslife/careers/studentsandgraduates/changingcourse

JohnG18 wrote: »
    Bear in mind that it is also an option to complete the first year then transfer via Advanced Entry into Y2 of another course if you did well and the courses had similar Y1 (which most courses under the same college would I.e. most science courses share similar Y1).

If you really don't like the course see if you can apply directly to a course you are interested in.
    Yes that I was what I was trying to say but was working on a laptop on a train. Advanced entry is a very good option.

If you attend the induction for the programme that you have accepted you could ask some of these questions. Once you actually register and get your student card you can access all the supprrt services in DIT - Programme Tutor/Student Retention/Careers Service etc

Just dont do nothing.

Thanks, I contacted DIT and asked about a transfer but they told I couldn't because the courses involved aren't similar enough. :( I'm hoping that I'll be able to talk to someone about it when I'm actually in the college when I'm actually in the college.

well you might actually like the programme you are accepted on when you actually start on it??? :) you never know. There are lots of options open to you.

well you might actually like the programme you are accepted on when you actually start on it??? :) you never know. There are lots of options open to you.
    Yeah, but the more i look at the timetable, the more i think ill hate the course, but i'll give it a go anyways :)

• Advertisement

you never know??...whatever you decide just make sure you complete whatever documentation is needed and talk to someone.

again see here :)http://www.dit.ie/campuslife/careers/studentsandgraduates/changingcourse/

Thanks for your help, I'll give it a go anyways and see how goes :)

Sounds like a good idea.

If you are really concerned and in Dublin have you thought about just calling in and speaking to the Head of School for your programme.

Would you be able to just call in or do you have to arrange an appointment?

you dont actually say which programme you have accepted and which programme you are interested in so sorry if I am vague. It really depends who you want to talk - i.e. your existing programme or the programme you are interested in.

The academic calendar actually starts on Monday so all academics are coming back now. Not all may be back yet as full time classes commence 17th September 2012. There is no harm in contacting the School you want and asking. This link shows all Schools and the contact name shown is the School Secretary http://www.dit.ie/study/parttime/applicationform/ . The School Secretary would be in the office during normal working hours. I dont know if you have to make an appointment but sure give them a call and ask if the Head of School or Programme Tutor would see you. If you are in Dublin why not just call in. I couldnt gaurantee if all academic staff are back from leave yet but there is no harm and asking. You also said you looked at the timetable and it put you off. Are you certain you will have to attend all the classes shown on the timetable. Again they may be modules shown that could be electives. You will find out more at induction.

You can always go into the Admissions office and talk to someone. Opening hours are http://www.dit.ie/study/admissionsoffice

Nothing to lose by asking. Just make sure you are registered - you can access more DIT services once you are a registered student. Dont be put off if noone would see you yet or is noone is available. Academic staff are returning and a lot of offices are reopening now for students. DITSU (the students union) and Campus Life are a great source of information and support. Also remember that the programme you are registered on and the programme you are intersted in may be in different Schools on different sites.

You might actually love the programme you are accepted on (wouldnt that be great). Dont stress

Anyone can walk around the DIT sites. Classrooms and labs may not be open and you cant go into the Library if you dont have a student card but anyone can wander around.

If you are having a problem figuring out the Schools let me know

Sorry, I accepted pharmaceutical health and I want to do computer science. I'll wait until i get my registration pack then I'll try contact them again. I was thinking about doing a computers plc instead but I've been told that its useless if you have over 400 points ? Thanks again for your help

No worries best of luck. Only a week until your induction so not long. Not sure what you mean by registration pack but hope it all works out.

The pack that gets sent out with the info on how to register? Dunno what it's called ha, thanks again :)

oh thats a letter you will get - and you register online

see http://dit.ie/registration/ and http://dit.ie/registration/registerme/imnew/

:)

Advertisement